Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:11:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543758 times)
LawrenceHillbilly

View Profile Email
« on: September 29, 2017, 21:50:18 »

My huge apology, LawrenceHillBilly - in adding your post to the diary, I deleted your original text ... and it had only been posted for such a short time that it hadn't made the hourly backups  Wink   - Grahame
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 22:20:18 by grahame » Logged

“I saw the Lord high and lifted up. And His train filled the temple”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 22:03:25 »

This has already been discussed in the existing IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) thread.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10150.msg220164#msg220164 et seq

The passenger service mentioned will be the first operated by an IET, Intercity Express Train, which is the name chosen for these trains by the current operator of the Greater Western franchise.

IEP, Intercity Express Programme, is the name given to the procurement, design, build and testing of these trains.

Mods, perhaps this thread (IEP in title changed to IET (Intercity Express Train)) can be the start of discussion into the passenger service operation of these trains. The existing thread is on the 'Looking Forward' board. The future is almost here...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 17:29:09 by Timmer » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 22:23:23 »

Mods, perhaps this thread (IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) in title changed to IET (Intercity Express Train)) can be the start of discussion into the passenger service operation of these trains. The existing thread is on the 'Looking Forward' board. The future is almost here...

I have indeed added to the calendar ... and as you'll note, I made an error in my editing (thinking I was quoting not editing) and deleted the original post

First services is the 06:00 Bristol to Paddington on 16th October 2017
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 17:28:57 by Timmer » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 17:25:16 »

My plans for a trip on (and review of) the GWR (Great Western Railway) Intercity Express Train (IET (Intercity Express Train)) are now fixed for Monday. With thanks to another forum member for helping out with tickets.

All being well I plan to be on the 0930 from Bristol Temple Meads, which is the back working of the 0700 off Paddington. If there's any other forum members planning to take this service then do come and say hello. I'll be very easy to spot. Usual grey flat cap, and additionally my dog, Finn.

I'll try and get plenty of pictures of the interior, hopefully including 1st Class before departure.

Mods, thread title still needs IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) changed to IET on a couple of posts.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 17:31:10 »

My plans for a trip on (and review of) the GWR (Great Western Railway) Intercity Express Train (IET (Intercity Express Train)) are now fixed for Monday. With thanks to another forum member for helping out with tickets.

All being well I plan to be on the 0930 from Bristol Temple Meads, which is the back working of the 0700 off Paddington. If there's any other forum members planning to take this service then do come and say hello. I'll be very easy to spot. Usual grey flat cap, and additionally my dog, Finn.

I'll try and get plenty of pictures of the interior, hopefully including 1st Class before departure.

Mods, thread title still needs IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) changed to IET on a couple of posts.
Done.

Look forward to your report and pics of this important milestone for our region. My gosh we've waited long enough.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 20:23:43 »

Attached is a picture doing the rounds on social media and rail enthusiast forums. The planned passenger diagrams for GWR (Great Western Railway)'s IET (Intercity Express Train) introduction.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 22:17:32 »

I took a peak at the new year timetable for Maidenhead to Paddington. National rail have details up to 3rd Jan today.  I'm really pleased with what I can see so far, with double the number of fast direct services in the 7am-7.30am peak.
I have my fingers and toes crossed for a deployment that mirrors the timetable.

Edit: I've just checked the evening return leg and that is quite depressing. There is no increase in the current poor provision of fast services. It's 2tph at xx.18 and xx.48 or thereabouts.  I had hoped that a better evening provision was on the cards as that's what I was promised by FGW (First Great Western) and GWR (Great Western Railway) at their meet the manager events for years.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 22:29:48 by NickB » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 22:30:50 »

One major requirement for the IETs (Intercity Express Train) to enter front line service was completed yesterday.

Ian Prosser, Chief Inspector of Railways at the Office of Rail & Road, signed off the Class 800s to enter revenue earning passenger service.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 23:37:17 »

I took a peak at the new year timetable for Maidenhead to Paddington. National rail have details up to 3rd Jan today.  I'm really pleased with what I can see so far, with double the number of fast direct services in the 7am-7.30am peak.
I have my fingers and toes crossed for a deployment that mirrors the timetable.

Edit: I've just checked the evening return leg and that is quite depressing. There is no increase in the current poor provision of fast services. It's 2tph at xx.18 and xx.48 or thereabouts.  I had hoped that a better evening provision was on the cards as that's what I was promised by FGW (First Great Western) and GWR (Great Western Railway) at their meet the manager events for years.

There will be significant changes every December and May until the end of 2019 when Crossrail starts, so hopefully the evening peak should improve too.  What happens after Crossrail for Twyford, Maidenhead and Slough will be interesting.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 08:18:30 »

I had hoped that a better evening provision was on the cards

As well as the 18 / 48 pasts, Maidenhead also gets some not quite as fast services with the 17:26 (33mins), the 17:57 (29mins) and the 18:56 (34mins).

As II says the timetable will keep changing over the next two years with the start and then full implementation of crossrail, the full implementation of the IETs (Intercity Express Train) and the working of the class 387s operating at 110mph all to come.

With 6 crossrail trains per hour, it will be expected that Maidenhead passengers to use these, slower yes, but also more frequent. I agree that Maidenhead is a large commuting hub, though we've had this discussion in the past whereby everyone wants a fast direct service into London which is not possible. For every stop that is made on the main line, you lose a path for fast services heading further west. Having say 4 trains per hour call at Maidenhead gives you potentially 4 less trains per hour heading to further away destinations*, start throwing in calls at Slough and Twyford as well and an even greater headache is caused for the timetable planners.

* I can think of numerous forum members who would complain if a reduction of services to places such as Taunton, the Cotswold branch or Swindon (For Melksham) were to occur to facilitate additional stops in the Thames Valley.

* Yes, one way round this would be to have all long distance trains stopping at one TV location to minimise the loss of paths, but other problems would occur such as long distance passengers complaining of standing due to short distance commuters etc.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 08:32:21 »

For that final point, more so on the evening trip, I feel.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 08:45:16 »

* I can think of numerous forum members who would complain if a reduction of services to places such as Taunton, the Cotswold branch or Swindon (For Melksham) were to occur to facilitate additional stops in the Thames Valley.

Hmmm ... when the new timetable to take advantage of the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s improved electric performance envelope and reduced station dwell time is introduced Swindon switches from being "all trains call at Swindon" into a service that selected services miss out, like Didcot is at present.

Provided that there are gaps of no longer than 20 minutes in fast services to London (let's define that as "no more than 2 intermediate stops on a train running at well over 100 m.p.h), with the ability for everyone to get their luggage on and have a seat, that's OK by me personally.    I would also like to see a gaps of no longer than 30 minutes in trains that call at Didcot (for Oxford) after Swindon ... unless some kind soul would like to provide a direct Swindon to Oxford service which they're starting tomorrow ... then withdrawing again at the end of Sunday  Undecided .

One of the draft timetables / ideas (not sure if it's the current flavour) has 4 trains an hour Bristol Temple Meads to Paddington - two with the current stopping pattern, one calling at Bristol Parkway then fast to Reading, and one calling at Bath Spa and Chippenham and fast to Reading.

From a TransWilts viewpoint, this is going to complicate the advise we give to Trowbridge and Melksham to Reading and London passengers, which is currently "always change at Swindon on the way up". That advise is based on the knowledge that if the main line services aren't running to schedule, getting to Swindon and changing onto first available train makes sense.

And I do hope that the new schedule takes great care of Chippenham to Bath and Bristol traffic - with 3 trains an hour rather that 2, indications are positive on that front;  worthwhile to log a reminder that more passenger journeys from Chippenham start out heading west than heading east, even though more revenue is generated by passengers heading east rather than west.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 09:22:55 »

Provided that there are gaps of no longer than 20 minutes in fast services to London (let's define that as "no more than 2 intermediate stops on a train running at well over 100 m.p.h), with the ability for everyone to get their luggage on and have a seat, that's OK by me personally.

Hmmm - I see no/little difference between Swindon & Oxford, who only get 2tph 'fast'. Frankly, a 2tph service (on the same route - so 2tph BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) via BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains), and 2tph via CPH is good) west of RDG(resolve), is the minimum.

If SWI» (Swindon - next trains) demands 3tph, and I'm not sure it does frankly, the OXF» (Oxford - next trains) ought to get the same (but won't)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 09:45:46 »

One major requirement for the IETs (Intercity Express Train) to enter front line service was completed yesterday.

Ian Prosser, Chief Inspector of Railways at the Office of Rail & Road, signed off the Class 800s to enter revenue earning passenger service.

All that could possibly stand in the way of a Monday launch is the dreaded 'Engineering Works Overrun'.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 09:49:39 »

I picked this up this morning:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 09:54:46 by ray951 » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: