Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:52:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543742 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2017, 09:40:59 »

They were the replacement setr that formed the 0600 BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), yes - so presumably they fixed the set(s) overnight
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2017, 09:50:22 »

It will certainly be interesting to see how performance improves (or not) on 1A03 up to Christmas, at least now I know where my seat is within the carriage (since the reserved seat turns out to be the same number now all the way through until then).

Although I'm not looking forward to the prospect of trying to guess which of the 4 possible carriage positions it will arrive in at Reading each day!

The slow boarding problem isn't likely to be solved soon as the train isn't designed with suburban commuting in mind, today if you happened to be slightly slow at getting to the door to leave you would have been met with a large flow and through the narrow vestibule passengers weren't making good progress as they met boarding passengers. Dwell time is likely therefore to be an issue if the train encounters a passenger needing assistance, used on routes where large luggage is common or the cyclists arrive and are not ready to sprint.

A sensible choice was made on the Old Oak set this morning to place the two first class sections in the centre of the train, fingers crossed in time that becomes the working practice as that would have a positive effect on dwell time.

From yesterday morning / Real Time Trains - Station dwell times of first servives of the IET (Intercity Express Train).  In all cases except Reading outbound, train did not leave on time so the duration is a measure of how long station duties took.

2.75 Bath Spa
2.0 Chippenham
3.0 Swindon
2.0 Didcot
2.5 Reading

5.0 Reading (awaiting time)
5.25 Didcot
3.0 Swindon
5.0 Chippenham
4.75 Bath Spa

I would expect these dwells to drop as people get used to the trains, and expect them to drop further as the fleet becomes uniform IET so that passengers don't have to go to different platform places for an IET and an HST (High Speed Train), and know what's arriving.   Helpful HST "Coach C is here" indicators at stations haven't (yet?) been enhanced with "IET coach C is here", and I don't the old orange and purple zone for which some signage persists has been re-enlivened.

Grahame, I would be a bit careful about the dwell times given by RTT» (Real Time Trains - website).  To the best of my knowledge they are measured by the signalling system recording occupation and clearance of the platform train detection system section and don't truly reflect the actual stop time.  So the arrival time is when the first wheel occupies the platform section and the departure time is when either the platform section clears or the next section ahead is occupied.  Some train detection sections are longer than the platform itself and some of the ahead ones are some distance from the platform end.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2017, 09:51:19 »

A telling comment from GWR (Great Western Railway) about their 'ownership' of this problem (and every other one on their franchise)...

From The Times this morning:

"A spokesman for Great Western Railway said: 'Hitachi will be investigating this matter thoroughly.'"

'A spokesman'  Roll Eyes

What is wrong with Hopwood? Surely he must realise it would be a sensible thing for him (or to direct one of his fellow senior managers) to speak to the press and his customers finally after all of the recent problems.

I personally think it was downright foolish to make such a fanfare about the new trains, they should've just quietly introduced them into service with no fuss on quieter off peak services. Enthusiasts would still have got their fix, probably no-one else would notice. Press get to play on a one off press special. Chucking one on a busy peak service was doomed from the start really, wasn't it?!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2017, 09:56:34 »

Grahame, I would be a bit careful about the dwell times given by RTT» (Real Time Trains - website).  To the best of my knowledge they are measured by the signalling system recording occupation and clearance of the platform train detection system section and don't truly reflect the actual stop time.  So the arrival time is when the first wheel occupies the platform and the departure time is when either the platform section clears or the next section ahead is occupied.  Some train detection sections are longer than the platform itself and some of the ahead ones are some distance from the platform end.

Caution (I think) understood, and good to be stated here.  I tend to use the time differences between arrival as comparisons rather than absolute figures, so I really should have quoted times for an HST (High Speed Train) at each location too, and one that's running slightly late so that I would be looking at true operational need.

Of course, all you need is one passenger who needs longer to get on or get off with assistance and the operational times of stops get blown anyway!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2017, 10:11:00 »

'A spokesman'  Roll Eyes

What is wrong with Hopwood? Surely he must realise it would be a sensible thing for him (or to direct one of his fellow senior managers) to speak to the press and his customers finally after all of the recent problems.
Dan Panes appeared on both BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West and BBC South Today last night with regards to the problems experienced on the launch service. Regards last weekend's blockade at Reading he also appeared on BBC South Today on Friday evening.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2017, 10:41:16 »

I travelled in from Reading to Paddington on one of the IETs (Intercity Express Train) this morning.

Very impressed with the smoothness of the ride. As did other posters I did notice some passengers hitting their heads on the luggage racks when they stood to get off.

I also notice that despite the coaches having seat reservation displays they were still using the old "card in top of seat" system. Is that because GWR (Great Western Railway) haven't got the processes in place to deal with this alternative method?

Like a lot of services this morning it was delayed and there were quite a few passengers standing in my coach. I'm guessing travellers haven't yet adjusted their optimal platform position to match the IETs formation

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2017, 10:58:46 »

I also notice that despite the coaches having seat reservation displays they were still using the old "card in top of seat" system. Is that because GWR (Great Western Railway) haven't got the processes in place to deal with this alternative method?

My thoughts are that they're waiting for these trains to bed in before launching the online reservation system. Ben Rich also mentioned that they have the Voyager ability for on the day reservations and that they may go for reservations up to the point of departure from its originating station and that they would never go as far as XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and launch the 10-minute reservations that they offer, which will I'm sure be a relief to everyone.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2017, 11:00:20 »

'A spokesman'  Roll Eyes

Dan Panes appeared on both BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Points West and BBC South Today last night with regards to the problems experienced on the launch service. Regards last weekend's blockade at Reading he also appeared on BBC South Today on Friday evening.

Presumably he is the aforementioned spokesman, being head of communications, but really someone from the board ought to be piping up - the responsibility of running the company ultimately lies with the board of directors. It just seems a bit pathetic that Hitachi can wheel out their MD with an apology, but GWR (Great Western Railway) cannot, however he is happy to accept all sorts of corporate back slapping at industry award ceremonies and to meet the royals and Paddington bear...  Roll Eyes
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2017, 11:13:09 »

Thanks to Chris for his earlier reply to my question about seat reservations.

Another question about the IETs (Intercity Express Train) is - apart from the bloke up front - how many crew are needed to run the services ?There seemed to be quite a few disembarking at Paddington this morning. Is this complicated by the fact that, for example, each individual diagram (correct term?) of 5 coaches has it's own first class and buffet facilities so this means a double up?

1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2017, 11:18:24 »

Another question about the IETs (Intercity Express Train) is - apart from the bloke up front - how many crew are needed to run the services ?There seemed to be quite a few disembarking at Paddington this morning. Is this complicated by the fact that, for example, each individual diagram (correct term?) of 5 coaches has it's own first class and buffet facilities so this means a double up?

Just to be pedantic, you either mean Trolley service, Kitchen or both because there sure as hell ain't no buffet.  Wink
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2017, 11:20:20 »

Another question about the IETs (Intercity Express Train) is - apart from the bloke up front - how many crew are needed to run the services? There seemed to be quite a few disembarking at Paddington this morning. Is this complicated by the fact that, for example, each individual diagram (correct term?) of 5 coaches has it's own first class and buffet facilities so this means a double up?

It will do, yes.

I'm unsure of the usual number needed to run a 5car set - estimate being a driver, Train Manager, 1st class host & STD class trolley person - so 4. That'd then be 8 on a 10car.

Then you need to add the Pullman crew if it's one of those.

I think Ben mentioned that there would be 2 STD trolleys on a 9car, but we'll hjave to await their start in service to find out (January?)
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2017, 11:20:59 »

I believe that platform extensions are planned for the Cotswold Line and that 2x5 won't run until then. But what the state of that project is, who knows. References (both from 2016): http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/24011/enhancements-delivery-plan-change-control-october-december-2016.pdf, https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Modernising-the-Great-Western-railway.pdf

Until then, there's the 1x5 and 1x9 units.
The last time I was at Moreton there was nothing happening but that was late/end of summer and things might have changed. However I would expect to see press releases galore when the work does start given the publicity these trains are getting.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2017, 11:24:56 »

The CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) understands that the work is scheduled for the second half of 2019 & that only 5car IETs (Intercity Express Train) will run along there until then. Once work is complete, they still won't be more than 6car in length & the idea will be to stop 2 x 3cars of each set alongside & use SDO (Selective Door Opening) as currently for 9car & 10car sets.

The current intention is to run 5car sets joining to another 5car set at Oxford but in the high peak (maybe 2 trains) a full 10car train will run as I describe above.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2017, 11:39:13 »

What buffet facilities ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2017, 11:42:44 »

Well.....it's true on the IETs (Intercity Express Train). What else would you expect? GWR (Great Western Railway) aren't being allowerd anywhere near the ops side of the trains.

My point is that GWR singularly pointed the finger at Hitachi, with no attempt to take ownership or apologise themselves.  I would imagine that GWR managed the press attention for this event, got DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to attend, and would have been first off the train at Paddington proclaiming how wonderful 'their' new trains were (afterall, GWR are Building a Greater West singlehandedly aren't they!?!)  IF they had run to plan.

Will GWR be claiming in the future that the trains are nothing to do with them, and the track is nothing to do with them?
Will I only be able to contact GWR about their catering in the future?  Or is that Nescafe/Tetley's fault, and nothing to do with them?

To me it just begs the question of what ARE GWR responsible for, aside from posters and adverts?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: