Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:08 Newbury to Bedwyn
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:41 Westbury to Bristol Temple Meads
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 09:34:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 544105 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2017, 11:47:40 »

Thanks to Chris for his earlier reply to my question about seat reservations.

Another question about the IETs (Intercity Express Train) is - apart from the bloke up front - how many crew are needed to run the services ?There seemed to be quite a few disembarking at Paddington this morning. Is this complicated by the fact that, for example, each individual diagram (correct term?) of 5 coaches has it's own first class and buffet facilities so this means a double up?

Just to be pedantic, you either mean Trolley service, Kitchen or both because there sure as hell ain't no buffet.  Wink

To be fair due to the loading on the service I didn't get to explore much but I was going on the basis of the "painted out windows" which on the HST (High Speed Train) stock normally implied the buffet car.

I stand corrected.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2017, 11:50:25 »

The CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about) understands that the work is scheduled for the second half of 2019 & that only 5car IETs (Intercity Express Train) will run along there until then. Once work is complete, they still won't be more than 6car in length & the idea will be to stop 2 x 3cars of each set alongside & use SDO (Selective Door Opening) as currently for 9car & 10car sets.

The current intention is to run 5car sets joining to another 5car set at Oxford but in the high peak (maybe 2 trains) a full 10car train will run as I describe above.
Interesting thanks for the info, I assume that this will still mean that you have to go from 1st through standard to leave the train. It's not normally a problem for me except on the odd occasion that I sleep through Kingham. I then have a bit of rush to pack up and get to an opening door at a platform before the whistle. Fortunately the Train Manager had remembered where I was getting off, had woken me up and was waiting for me to get off.  
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2017, 11:53:41 »

Thanks to Chris for his earlier reply to my question about seat reservations.

Another question about the IETs (Intercity Express Train) is - apart from the bloke up front - how many crew are needed to run the services ?There seemed to be quite a few disembarking at Paddington this morning. Is this complicated by the fact that, for example, each individual diagram (correct term?) of 5 coaches has it's own first class and buffet facilities so this means a double up?

Just to be pedantic, you either mean Trolley service, Kitchen or both because there sure as hell ain't no buffet.  Wink

To be fair due to the loading on the service I didn't get to explore much but I was going on the basis of the "painted out windows" which on the HST (High Speed Train) stock normally implied the buffet car.

I stand corrected.
That's alright it's just that there was a bit of angst from the unions and some passengers that there wouldn't be a buffet. What you saw (the "painted out windows") was the 1st kitchen which serves 1st, and will serve the Pullman dining experience and allegedly hot food in standard*. *I'll believe it when I see it
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:08:00 by 1st fan » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2017, 11:56:01 »

Staffing, timetabling & operating the trains in service.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2017, 14:02:54 »

I'm unsure of the usual number needed to run a 5car set - estimate being a driver, Train Manager, 1st class host & STD class trolley person - so 4. That'd then be 8 on a 10car.

7. The second unit doesn't require a driver!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2017, 14:09:33 »

good point! :-)
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2017, 14:20:00 »

Grahame, I would be a bit careful about the dwell times given by RTT» (Real Time Trains - website).  To the best of my knowledge they are measured by the signalling system recording occupation and clearance of the platform train detection system section and don't truly reflect the actual stop time.  So the arrival time is when the first wheel occupies the platform section and the departure time is when either the platform section clears or the next section ahead is occupied.  Some train detection sections are longer than the platform itself and some of the ahead ones are some distance from the platform end.

RTT applies 'offsets' to the times provided by the train describer movement data. For arrivals these offsets are based on the time taken for a train to trigger the describer movement and come to a stand, and for departures the time taken for a train to trigger the describer movement after wheels start turning. Obviously there can be variation between different stock types, but unfortunately this is one of the limitations on reporting arrival/departure times in this way. Generally however RTT won't be hugely different to the actual time assuming the train gets a clear run into and out of the platform and isn't subject to any other issues such as wheel slip, etc, etc.

RTT has offset data for most of the country where train describer movement data is available, except in locations recently re-signalled where new data has to be collected. This is something that is on-going and hopefully will be available in the future.
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2017, 14:21:50 »

I'm unsure of the usual number needed to run a 5car set - estimate being a driver, Train Manager, 1st class host & STD class trolley person - so 4. That'd then be 8 on a 10car.

7. The second unit doesn't require a driver!

Nor a Train Manager from what I have seen allocated, so 6.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2017, 14:24:22 »

Assuming the host/trolley person are safety trained, which I think they will be. So yes, 6.

Be interesting to see which unit the TM(resolve) travels in, in a 10car. Anyone yet noticed?
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2017, 14:50:59 »

I've just met someone who did a journey heading in from the West yesterday and ended up on one of these services [though not the Monsoon Train]. I had a picture of the new train that I was sending to someone on my phone. He said he went on one of those yesterday. When asked about the experience he said (in a broad Yorkshire accent) "Well they're not Voyagers". After a bit of questioning this is apparently a good thing although.......the seats are "Rock 'ard" and no good for someone like him with a bony backside. He'd also sat in 1st before realising that it wasn't standard* and subsequently moved carriages. He was not a fan of the coffee from the trolley "Bloody instant stuff" and declined it when he saw what was offered. It was too bright in standard and the tray table was pathetically small. Other than that it hadn't been bad at all and he'd use it again.

* This might have been down to the new position of 1st rather than the minor differences between the two classes now. 
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2017, 15:38:10 »

Assuming the host/trolley person are safety trained, which I think they will be. So yes, 6.

Be interesting to see which unit the TM(resolve) travels in, in a 10car. Anyone yet noticed?

No they are not.

There is 1 driver, 1 TM, 2 hosts on a 5 car.
1 driver, 1 TM, 4 hosts on a 10 car - and supposedly 1 ticket examiner in "the other set" as a trial.

Only the driver and TM are safety trained.
The ticket examiner is supposed to be ramp trained.

This is part of the disputed working raised by the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2017, 15:54:38 »

The hosts would have to know how to use the ramps too. To enable them to get the trolleys on and off. I bet the union won't let them near a wheelchair user though.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2017, 16:07:41 »

And when did you see a trolley person get their own ramp & then get their trolley off on their own? Always a station staff member with the ramp  I've seen

I might support the Ticket examiner being safety trained too.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2017, 16:12:34 »

Ironically enough - in this week of new IETs (Intercity Express Train) being launched - the only high speed service to be found when I went through Paddington (to get  through to Reading) this afternoon featured a power car sporting what I think was the original HST (High Speed Train) livery

It looks like signalling problems between Hayes and Harlington are to blame. Not the first time of the last time I suspect.

I find it sad that in launch week there have been a significant number of delays to my journey both inbound and outbound.

laird
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2017, 18:24:42 »

Day 2 of the morning commute Reding to Paddington, thanks to the earlier disruption the 0703 left full and standing (some rather desperate commuters prefering to stand rather than risk the impending 0716).
As other correspondents have reported the station dwell times (GWR (Great Western Railway) responsibility) the train isn't achieving the booked timings, oddly the effect of that was minimised today as the train had not called as booked in Bath and Chippenham. The train was also consequentially slightly quieter.
Seat reservations seemed to be working on this set.
Sadly nobody could find out which coach was which without entering the train, I even tried asking the first class customer host which carriage she had just exitted, of course having not been briefed to expect the question she didn't know the answer.

At speed in a quiet carriage you become noticeably aware of the wind noise, its not clear if is poor air flow design in the air conditioning or poor aerodynamics of roof mounted components. It appears to be present in both carriages D and E even with air conditioning cut out so time will tell on that one.

Customer Information System on the platforms is still not identifying the carriage order.

Further delays and crew call bells suggest all is still not quite as smooth as it should be.

In good news the seat is more comfortable and less slippery than the old first class seating.
First Class catering turned out and was better than the previous breakfast selection.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: