Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:28:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543809 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2017, 16:11:12 »

I've never felt the need for a blind on a train window. It's an extra item to cause niggling faults and disagreements between passengers. Dare say it'll come in useful at some times though.

They have got a lot more important recently, due to the overwhelming importance to most people of being able to read the little screen they are peering intently at ... much more important that seeing out of the window.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2017, 16:46:56 »

Re: this issue of low-speed acceleration:

The acceleration limit in the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) final spec. isn't just a fixed limit (of 0.75 m/s2), but above 45 km/hr it's a power limit. So if the limit implemented is 0.7 m/s2 (to be below the required maximum) that applies from starting up to the threshold (or "knee") velocity, then does not above.

Lifting that fixed limit would mean a threshold at a lower velocity, so it would only have a limited effect. It would also call for greater adhesion; 0.7 m/s2 already implies about 12%.

To show the effect of raising the acceleration at low speeds, where it is not set by the overall power, I've got out an old model train* to play with. I looked at both diesel and electric power, and with an acceleration limit of 0.7 m/s2 or 1.0 m/s2 (which is not obtainable), and let the train run from a stand and accelerate continuously on the level. The speed reached and time taken are noted at two distances: 250 m (about the length of a 5-car IET (Intercity Express Train)) and 8 km (5 miles). The change in these, with very high vs standard acceleration, is also shown.

electric        time s     change   speed km/hr  change
at 250 m26.9  -3.5  65.1  +3.2  
as 8 km213   -4.7   198   +0.2
diesel
at 250 m27.9  -2.5  57.5  +0.9
as 8 km249   -2.9   166   +0.06

A number of points can be noted:
  • The absolute numbers can't be trusted; they are based on a number of guessed parameters. But the differences won't be far out.
  • By 250 m, the speed is already high enough for the power-limited acceleration to be below the fixed limit.
  • The change in time to 250 m is small.
  • The change in time from 250m m to 8 km is even smaller.
  • The change in speed at 250 m is also small.
  • the change in speed at 8 km is much less, almost negligible.
  • The difference in performance with full electric power is quite noticeable even by 250 m, but far more so at 8 km.

* No, not the kind the guys on RMweb make. On second thoughts, I bet someone on there has got a much better dynamic model than mine!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 19:04:11 by stuving » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2017, 18:58:24 »

I've never felt the need for a blind on a train window. It's an extra item to cause niggling faults and disagreements between passengers. Dare say it'll come in useful at some times though.

When I travelled last week on an IET (Intercity Express Train) almost all the blinds on the downside in my coach were lowered half way... so I sat on the upside.   Grin
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 02, 2017, 19:41:27 »

They have got a lot more important recently, due to the overwhelming importance to most people of being able to read the little screen they are peering intently at ... much more important that seeing out of the window.
Of course, silly me!

When I travelled last week on an IET (Intercity Express Train) almost all the blinds on the downside in my coach were lowered half way... so I sat on the upside.   Grin

Downside, upside... Is this a new TV drama about life on an Edwardian country railway?  Cheesy

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 03, 2017, 18:40:49 »

Watched an IET (Intercity Express Train) pulling into PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) at about 1300 today, pantographs definitely down on both 5 car sets.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 03, 2017, 20:18:54 »

Watched an IET (Intercity Express Train) pulling into PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) at about 1300 today, pantographs definitely down on both 5 car sets.

Which platforms? AIUI (as I understand it) platforms 1 and 2 will be energised during the Christmas blockade.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 03, 2017, 21:01:42 »

I'm guessing 1L51, which appears to have used Platform 10
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 03, 2017, 22:46:45 »

I'm guessing 1L51, which appears to have used Platform 10

Yep, that was it.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 03, 2017, 23:16:27 »

Which platforms? AIUI (as I understand it) platforms 1 and 2 will be energised during the Christmas blockade.

Eh? I thought all platforms at Paddington were electrified when Heathrow Express started many years ago.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 04, 2017, 05:51:50 »

Eh? I thought all platforms at Paddington were electrified when Heathrow Express started many years ago.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can explain further, however I'm sure I have read elsewhere a class 387 has used P1 / P2 in the past
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 04, 2017, 07:59:48 »

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can explain further, however I'm sure I have read elsewhere a class 387 has used P1 / P2 in the past

1, 2, (11?), 12, 13 and 14 were not electrified as part of the original HEx scheme.  12 was done a few years ago, 13 now doesn’t exist and 14 was energised early this year.  1/2 are scheduled for Christmas - 1 has wired installed, but 2 has still got wires to be added.  The footbridge above 1/2 had to be altered so it was a bigger job than you might imagine.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2017, 12:12:26 »

From The Daily Swansea:

Great Western Railway to ban the Welsh from nice new trains

Great Western Railway have decided to go one step further from having no bilingualism on their services and will just ban all Welsh people from getting on their shiny new trains.

The company operate a number of services, including the Swansea to London Paddington route.

GWR (Great Western Railway) spokesperson Pete Bowen said: “We opted against including Welsh language on our service because we used up our Government subsidy on a lavish launch party for Westminster ministers.

“After that we got to thinking, I mean, would you leave someone from Neath rummage around your wife’s new jewellery box? Or have someone from Penlan walk around your new cream carpet with their muddy, horse s**t drenched Nike Airs?

“There’s been some concerns around a drop in revenue, but we wouldn’t have been in business this long without succession planning. The long and short of it is that we’ll recoup the shortfall from the taxpayer.”

continues with fruitier language...

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2017, 14:25:30 »

1L51 10.55 Cardiff - Paddington reported on Facebook as being a 5 coach train (instead of 10).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C29277/2017/11/07/advanced

Also cancelled between Cardiff and Newport:
This service was cancelled between Cardiff Central and Newport (South Wales) due to a problem with the doors (M7).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 07, 2017, 15:03:23 »

And the same for the 13:45 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-SWA» (Swansea - next trains), and also the 17:29 back - Journeycheck says:
Facilities on the 13:45 London Paddington to Swansea due 16:43.
This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #224 on: November 07, 2017, 17:30:07 »

And the same for the 13:45 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-SWA» (Swansea - next trains), and also the 17:29 back - Journeycheck says:
Facilities on the 13:45 London Paddington to Swansea due 16:43.
This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10.

At least it wasn't an HST (High Speed Train) that needed repair - that would have resulted in 0 carriages

Arrived late into Swansea (17:07) ... Fishguard Harbour train held to make the connection. Return at 17:29 "delayed" ... I happen to be travelling home from Swansea, hope the connection at Swindon onto the last TransWilts doesn't fail.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: