Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
15/04/24 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
06:28 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 07:23:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Okehampton
[119] The One-Way Wizzo
[59] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[53] From Melksham to Tallinn by train
[44] A two carriage train running back and forth - Swedish differen...
[30] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 546397 times)
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 11, 2017, 23:19:31 »

Putting both bits of first in the middle would have the merit that any unplanned or unexpected reversals would still leave first class at the middle.
If first class was at the London end of each unit, then any diversion that required reversing would result in it being at the country end.

The same argument would of course apply to putting first class at the outer ends, either policy would in my view be acceptable provided that it was applied consistently.
Would also have the advantage that the 1st carriages would be more likely to be on the platform when stopping at short platformed stations.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 12, 2017, 01:02:33 »

Weymouth Graham? Do you know something we don’t?

No, just being slightly naughty in my ask - HSTs (High Speed Train) have ended up at some pretty unexpected places (Exmouth and Falmouth come to mind) and perhaps 80x could at some time. 
One made it almost to Minehead when they wanted to do an evacuation test many years ago.

An HST has made it all the way to Minehead, some years ago an HST was used in passenger service on the WSR, during the diesel gala. I was on it !
AFAIK (as far as I know) HSTs are now out of gauge on the WSR but this was not the case a few years ago.
I rather doubt that we will see a 80x at Minehead in the foreseeable future since I suspect that they are badly out of gauge and that a great deal of work would be needed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2017, 12:09:17 »

The last HST (High Speed Train) to Minehead was on 23rd Sept 2017 - the Cotswold Line Promotion Group's Cotswold Quantock Explorer.

Edit: I should just add that the special train was operated by GWR (Great Western Railway) who had kindly replaced a standard class coach with an additional 1st class coach at CLPG» (Cotswold Line Promotion Group - about)'s request.
Previous gauging issues on the WSR preventing a HST reaching Minehead in May had been resolved to enable the visit of Flying Scotsman in the summer.
Will we see another in-service HST at Minehead?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:35:32 by Rob on the hill » Logged
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 12, 2017, 19:50:34 »

One assumes that this formation is what's in the contract with Hitachi? So would need GWRs (Great Western Railway) agreement to turn them out otherwise

I’ve definitely seen one with a 1st both in the middle configuration in passenger service.  As long as that is only going to happen on very rare occasions then that’s ok.

ATP (Automatic Train Protection) style.... if I remember...

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 12, 2017, 22:10:10 »

One assumes that this formation is what's in the contract with Hitachi? So would need GWRs (Great Western Railway) agreement to turn them out otherwise

I’ve definitely seen one with a 1st both in the middle configuration in passenger service.  As long as that is only going to happen on very rare occasions then that’s ok.

ATP (Automatic Train Protection) style.... if I remember...

Did you mean APT (Advanced Passenger Train) - Advanced Passenger Train?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2017, 16:20:43 »

Units 800010, 11, 12 and 13 have seen some passenger carrying action on the two additional diagrams that operate from today.

800005 appears to be running on its own as a 5-car though as 800006 has no allocations, the 19:00 to Bristol will be cosy if that's the case.  I saw 800008 and 800009 marshalled in a formation where 1st Class was at the very front and very rear.  That would be the best option in my opinion, although I can see why they've gone for the planned formation they have - getting two units the opposite way round regularly would be a recipe for disaster.  Let's hope they can manage to form them correctly at least 95% of the time otherwise producing posters will be a waste of time and punters won't know where they stand (literally!).  I would expect things to settle down when more units are in operation.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2017, 17:05:32 »

Did you mean APT (Advanced Passenger Train) - Advanced Passenger Train?

No, ATP (Automatic Train Protection) - Anus Transit Pectusculum (Latin: roughly translates to arse over tit).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 17:21:38 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
laird
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2017, 18:27:43 »

In good news the Customer Information System seems to have had an update such that it reports the position of First Class in both 5 car sets (Front and Middle or Front and Rear were in use today). The posters could therefore be retired although more specific details about position where Front, Middle and Rear on platforms along the route might still be beneficial.
Also is something not working with the cariage side displays, I've noticed a few which appear blank in service ... perhaps they only activate at low or zero speed?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2017, 19:25:39 »

800005 appears to be running on its own as a 5-car though as 800006 has no allocations, the 19:00 to Bristol will be cosy if that's the case.

006 was sent from the depot to attach to 005 for the 19:00 to Bristol, so a 10-car as booked.  Left 6 minutes late though.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 14, 2017, 21:54:56 »

I take it that Grahame was out last evening (and maybe also this) to witness the first IET (Intercity Express Train) in passenger service to grace the line through Melksham as the 1A37 (2127 Taunton to London Paddington) is currently reversing at Chippenham and then heading down to the Berks and Hants for its onwards journey to Paddington.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #265 on: November 14, 2017, 21:59:05 »

I take it that Grahame was out last evening (and maybe also this) to witness the first IET (Intercity Express Train) in passenger service to grace the line through Melksham as the 1A37 (2127 Taunton to London Paddington) is currently reversing at Chippenham and then heading down to the Berks and Hants for its onwards journey to Paddington.

Nope, he wasn't / isn't but thanks for the note. Catching the 06:38 again in the morning so need my beauty sleep; rail meeting season is in full swing.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #266 on: November 14, 2017, 23:57:46 »

21:27 Taunton to London Paddington due 01:12 has been delayed at Chippenham and is now 17 minutes late.
This is due to a problem currently under investigation.

Oops

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 16, 2017, 12:26:57 »

I was out train spotting earlier today........ Roll Eyes Tongue

Image (c)2017 SandTEngineer
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2017, 13:18:45 »

I was out train spotting earlier today........ Roll Eyes Tongue

802101?

From Devon Live

Pictured on the sea wall at Dawlish ...

Railway expert Thomas Mills captured it as it travelled along the Dawlish seawall approaching Kennaway Tunnel.

He said that Wednesday is the first time that the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) class engine has visited Cornwall.

The class 802s are electric and diesel-electric hybrids which run on electric power between London and Bristol and then switches to diesel power when moving into Devon and Cornwall.

I'm not sure that (m)any will be routed via Bristol?

Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2017, 15:13:10 »

Errrrr, isn't 802101 a 9 car? The one that has been outside North Pole recently
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: