Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:38:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543762 times)
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: January 10, 2018, 19:24:25 »

What a missed opportunity for a long overdue "Meet the Manager" session at Paddington!

I'm sure Hopwood would have welcomed the chance to meet some of his customers face to face to discuss/get feedback on the current standard of service and all the promised improvements which they're noticing?

He could even have dressed up as Paddington Bear to cheer everyone up!
I think you’ve got more chance of meeting Paddington Bear.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 10, 2018, 19:38:09 »

So, a confirmed sighting of a Mark Hopwood, one for the I Spy book!
Second one in a week.

Mating season?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 10, 2018, 19:46:22 »

So, a confirmed sighting of a Mark Hopwood, one for the I Spy book!
Second one in a week.

Mating season?

Do you mean as in " 'ere mate, I want a word with you... "
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 10, 2018, 20:20:24 »

It would take all the filming ingenuity of the Springwatch team and then some to produce Hopwoodwatch.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 10, 2018, 23:09:20 »

It would take all the filming ingenuity of the Springwatch team and then some to produce Hopwoodwatch.

Endangered species are notoriously shy & hard to find, they tend to hide away......in this particular case the creature in question will occasionally emerge if there are cameras present, and if he's guaranteed back slapping & being tickled behind the ear he may well be visible for a few hours before disappearing again for many more months......
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 10, 2018, 23:17:12 »

I just read that out loud in my best David Attenborough impersonation !..
Very funny well done TG.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 11, 2018, 01:12:45 »

Perhaps the springwatch team could set a camera trap in the buffet car of an IET (Intercity Express Train) in order to photograph the elusive creature.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 11, 2018, 07:34:34 »

Perhaps the springwatch team could set a camera trap in the buffet car of an IET (Intercity Express Train) in order to photograph the elusive creature.

A buffet car??  Aren’t they already extinct on an IET?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 11, 2018, 07:45:43 »

A buffet car??  Aren’t they already extinct on an IET (Intercity Express Train)?
I think that was the punchline because they don't exist  Smiley
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 11, 2018, 08:12:23 »

From Journeycheck this am (11/01.2018)

07:12 Taunton to London Paddington due 10:14

Facilities on the 07:12 Taunton to London Paddington due 10:14.

This is due to a fault occurring when attaching a part of this train.

Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10.

Could be a cosy journey for some today particularly those with reservations in the half of the service that ain't there.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 12, 2018, 11:03:28 »

Just passed Doncaster on a (25 min delayed!) Virgin Eastcoaster to Leeds, and think I saw a 9-coach IET (Intercity Express Train) (green, but without GWR (Great Western Railway) branding) parked-up which I think was 800303 (we were going quite quick past it!) - would that be right?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 12, 2018, 11:15:42 »

Just passed Doncaster on a (25 min delayed!) Virgin Eastcoaster to Leeds, and think I saw a 9-coach IET (Intercity Express Train) (green, but without GWR (Great Western Railway) branding) parked-up which I think was 800303 (we were going quite quick past it!) - would that be right?

Yes, according to reports in Rail it's ready and waiting for its turn - after all the 36 800/0s are delivered. 800302 has been out and testing on the GWR, and 800304 is a-building at Newton Aycliffe.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 12, 2018, 22:15:44 »

After that earlier observation, I also managed my first IET (Intercity Express Train) ride, on the 1730 out of PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) this evening.

Very noticeable how the 5 coaches nearest the buffers were very full as I boarded, and the front 5 were half empty, so that's where I went for my short ride to RDG(resolve).

Feels bright and spacious. Seats do feel hard on first contact, but after a few mins got used to it, and the seat shape seems to encourage good posture. Whether I'd be so happy after a long journey I'm not so sure until I try it, but the Virgin East Cost 225 and HST (High Speed Train) I spent 4.5 hrs on altogether today did feel more comfortable, but less spacious.

Acceleration felt impressive as we were passing OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) and we reached RDG in 24 mins. Overall quite impressed.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #313 on: January 12, 2018, 22:38:59 »

After a couple of journeys I'm not too fussed about the seats - they are firm, yes, but not really any more than the seat I spend most of my day typing away in.

What concerns me more is the luggage space: it feels like the lessons of the Voyagers have not been learned. Coach-end racks are smaller than HSTs (High Speed Train) or Eurostars. The "bike and bulk" rooms are small and ill-conceived. There is no equivalent of the carriage C space on an HST, which was informally the space where pushchairs would go if no wheelchairs required it. Even the gangways seem narrower than an HST, and I've very often seen suitcases or similar stashed in HST gangways.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 13, 2018, 11:19:54 »

I have concerns over luggage space too.  Hopefully the 802s will have more, reflecting their usage on the Cornish routes.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: