Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:22:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 544065 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 09, 2018, 20:23:17 »

Sitting at Pad on the 1800 to Bristol, diesel engine rumbling merrily away!

Yes, I noted that one was as well.  The other dozen or so (including one ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) move to North Pole) that I saw today were all running on OHLE as they arrived and departed from Paddington.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 10, 2018, 05:50:56 »

Everyone in the rear half of the 1645 Paddington-Swansea was moved forward yesterday when the 'Under Guard' (Ticket Manager?) failed to show. Departed 9 late and cosy.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 10, 2018, 06:01:51 »

Such a waste carting around five empty carriages which is happening all too often.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 10, 2018, 06:35:15 »

Everyone in the rear half of the 1645 Paddington-Swansea was moved forward yesterday when the 'Under Guard' (Ticket Manager?) failed to show. Departed 9 late and cosy.

"Under Guard"........is that a euphemism for a jockstrap?
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 10, 2018, 20:57:41 »

Is the reason why quite a number of IET (Intercity Express Train) scheduled services are running 5 rather than 10 with one set locked out of use?

Unable to crew the rear unit.

Is this due to crew shortages? If so, any idea why?

Surely GWR (Great Western Railway) knew how many crew would be needed?

GWR know crew are needed for all the cancelled trains that are listed in the traincrew shortage thread. Over to GWR Smiley Smiley

The turbos never needed a guard or other member of staff in the rear train when they were joined together. Why do the IET's need it?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 10, 2018, 22:52:52 »

Because RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 11, 2018, 01:46:01 »

Turbos mostly run under DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) conditions.  Turbos on non-DOO routes where some of the platforms are long enough, i.e. the Cotswold Line, cannot run in multiple with both sets unlocked.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #427 on: April 11, 2018, 13:56:14 »

Turbos mostly run under DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) conditions.  Turbos on non-DOO routes where some of the platforms are long enough, i.e. the Cotswold Line, cannot run in multiple with both sets unlocked.

What about the non gangwayed 150's?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 11, 2018, 14:24:46 »

Not so sure on the West fleet - perhaps someone can elaborate?

From my own personal standpoint I think every section of a non-gangway train should have a competent person on board each section to be able to help the driver and/or train manager if situations like Lewisham arise.  Be they a guard, a ticket examiner, or trolley staff as long as they have had basic emergency training.  That would include DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) trains.  I can't see it being enforced any time soon, Chiltern for example operate trains of up to four non-gangway sets both DOO and with a Guard.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 11, 2018, 20:53:14 »

What about the non gangwayed 150's?

I had the experience a couple of years back of being on a non-gangwayed 150 from Bristol to Bath. I was in the front carriage and wanted to buy a ticket, as I had started at Stapleton Road, had no chance on that train of buying a ticket, and wanted to get away from Bath Spa ASAP. Nobody available between the two locked doors. I waited until Keynsham - a lot of passengers got on, but still no crew, so at Oldfield Park, I hopped off and got into the next carriage. There were three staff there, all of whom started the old "I thought Jim was doing the front" - "No, I'm here, I thought Betty was up there" - "No, I'm here..."routine, finishing with a sotto voce "Oh sh*t!". I got my ticket, and also the impression that this should not have happened, and would have been viewed most seriously had anyone official seen it.

But nobody was harmed.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 11, 2018, 21:14:12 »

The inaugural passenger service runs for the GWR (Great Western Railway) Class 802/0 (five car sets) are scheduled to be on July 16th 2018. Diagrams as follows:

1A72 0553 Plymouth to London Paddington
1D20 0950 London Paddington to Oxford
1P26 1201 Oxford to London Paddington
1C89 1633 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
1A98 1955 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington

1C04 0730 London Paddington to Penzance
1A93 1400 Penzance to London Paddington
1C96 2003 London Paddington to Plymouth

Each of those 2 diagrams will be worked as 2x five car sets.

Usual caveats for this information. Not yet confirmed by GWR.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 11, 2018, 22:36:10 »

The inaugural passenger service runs for the GWR (Great Western Railway) Class 802/0 (five car sets) are scheduled to be on July 16th 2018. Diagrams as follows:

1A72 0553 Plymouth to London Paddington
1D20 0950 London Paddington to Oxford
1P26 1201 Oxford to London Paddington
1C89 1633 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
1A98 1955 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington

1C04 0730 London Paddington to Penzance
1A93 1400 Penzance to London Paddington
1C96 2003 London Paddington to Plymouth

Each of those 2 diagrams will be worked as 2x five car sets.

Usual caveats for this information. Not yet confirmed by GWR.

Crikey! They're not easing them in slowly, are they!

Now, please!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 13, 2018, 06:42:56 »

Played skittles Tuesday night and my pair for the night had requested to be first on as he was off to London after he'd played.

Whilst playing he told me of his wife's and his trip to London last weekend for a family event.

Arrived at Bristol Parkway for their booked train and found it was front 5 carriages only and of course their booked seats were in the rear 5 carriages so passengers surged along the platform as the train came in and it was a slow process alighting and boarding and he said to his wife, "in here", and they both got into first class as there was clearly few, if any, seats available in standard class. No ticket check to Swindon.

At Swindon an elderly couple of which the male was visually impaired got on with Customer Assistance and he clearly heard the assisting GWR (Great Western Railway) staff member say to the elderly lady that if there was any problem to show their printed itinerary to the ticket inspector.

By Didcot still no ticket check and there about a dozen people came into the carriage and sat down and he said, "looked as if they were intent on an evening out in town", which turned out to be Reading which was again reached without a ticket check.

Leaving Reading he heard a voice, "All tickets please", so he got his wallet out, extracted the tickets and seat reservations from it and place them on the table. The ticket examiner picked up the tickets and remarked that they were standard class and this is first class. "Yes," he said, " and those reservations are for seats in a carriage back there", whilst he waved a hand above his head pointing to the rear of the train. "Oh, that doesn't give you the right to occupy first class seats in its place", said the ticket inspector. He said, "as the ticket inspector was saying this he opened his wallet, extracted a business card and handed it to the ticket inspector with the words well you get your supervisor to write to me at my business address to explain why not". The ticket inspector insisted that he would have to excess fare them but he could complain and if his complaint was valid the excess fare would be refunded. He said. "pointing to the business card in the ticket examiners hand I told him that he had my business card and for his superiors to write to me and include an invoice for the excess fare if they wish and concluded with the words matter adjourned". The ticket examiner carried on to the remaining passengers. As they were getting off the train at Paddington as his wife walked in front of him towing her Easyjet compliant cabin baggage case he noticed her case had run over a piece of card on the floor of the carriage and he stooped to pick it up and it was his business card. I laughed knowing that his business card reads, name and qualifications, Barrister, and the chambers address from which he conducts his professional services.

Their Sunday return was less eventful, their booked train was cancelled and they got on an earlier service on which they found two seats together.

He concluded that the weekends London visit was the third this year that he had made which would result in a full refund and he'd had a few more where one journey or other has been disrupted resulting in a complaint. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 13, 2018, 11:18:20 »

I am not convinced that the new trains being shorter* gives an automatic entitlement to use first class with a standard class ticket. Nor does the failure of GWR (Great Western Railway) to honour reservations give such an entitlement, even for barristers.

The train manager might of course permit this at their discretion, but it is not an entitlement.

*I refer here to the length of train available for passenger use, the fact that another 5 vehicles are attached but not available for use is not relevant from the passengers point of view.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 13, 2018, 11:58:40 »

It's a pity that the usual consumer protection doesn't apply to train tickets. I think I'd be quite frustrated if I've reserved a seat on a busy train for not only my reservation to have disappeared but the train to be half length. Probably wouldn't go sit in First Class though but then I'm still relatively fit and healthy.

It does tie in with the other post though about how some standard reservations were in first class carriages because of rolling stock changes but people were charged an upgrade. I think in that case I would have agreed with the Barrister.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: