Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:04:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543862 times)
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 03, 2018, 08:20:19 »

According to Journeycheck the 17:07 to Frome is likely to be five coaches rather than nine tonight. 

Should solve the problem with short platforms at least.

Well that's going to be cosy especially if the 17.18 is 3 coaches again (which is the only reason I ended up on the delayed 17.07).

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 03, 2018, 18:10:27 »

1A07 The 06:48 from Weston Super Mare to Paddington, the 08:12 from Swindon sat down at Didcot this morning with an electrical fault.  After a while we were advised to detrain as they would have to reset the train which would lock the doors for 5 minutes.  We were then advised to take the following train which came in on Platform 4.  This waited a while and was very crowded.  Then amazingly 1A07 went forward first and we waited longer before taking the relief line all the way to Reading, passing the nearly empty and once more stopped 1A07 at Moreton Cutting.

We arrived eventually at Reading on a train that was 25 late having just been overtaken again by 1A07 on the approach to Reading. 1A07 was 50 late at Reading and lost more time before reaching Paddington just after the later train 64 late.

Why could our train, which had most of 1A07's passengers and was ready to depart not allowed to leave Didcot only 10 late?  It could have then arrived at Reading not too late.  Instead a nearly empty train with a fault was given priority and proceeded to block the main line!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 03, 2018, 18:40:13 »

1A07 The 06:48 from Weston Super Mare to Paddington, the 08:12 from Swindon sat down at Didcot this morning with an electrical fault.  After a while we were advised to detrain as they would have to reset the train which would lock the doors for 5 minutes.  We were then advised to take the following train which came in on Platform 4.  This waited a while and was very crowded.  Then amazingly 1A07 went forward first and we waited longer before taking the relief line all the way to Reading, passing the nearly empty and once more stopped 1A07 at Moreton Cutting.

We arrived eventually at Reading on a train that was 25 late having just been overtaken again by 1A07 on the approach to Reading. 1A07 was 50 late at Reading and lost more time before reaching Paddington just after the later train 64 late.

Why could our train, which had most of 1A07's passengers and was ready to depart not allowed to leave Didcot only 10 late?  It could have then arrived at Reading not too late.  Instead a nearly empty train with a fault was given priority and proceeded to block the main line!

Because GWR (Great Western Railway) couldn't give a toss about their customers.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 03, 2018, 18:50:52 »

To be diplomatic, the decision may have been made by network rail who control the signals and other infrastructure, rather than by GWR (Great Western Railway).
Whoever made the decision though, it does seem very poor planning to give fast line priority to an empty train known to be sick whilst delaying  a fully loaded passenger train on the relief line.

So someone cares little for the passengers even if it might not have been GWR this time.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 04, 2018, 12:03:24 »

Similar today, about 27 half length trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 04, 2018, 12:15:26 »

Yes, very very poor indeed.  The only improvement I've seen (and it is based only on visual observation) is the number of 10-car units running with half locked out of use, an even worse scenario, appears to have thankfully reduced quite substantially.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 04, 2018, 13:11:34 »

Yes, we seem to have progressed from "no staff for the other 5 car unit" to "5 car only"

What is the present excuse for routine short formations ? is it still the apparently unforeseeable need to train staff on the new stock.
Or simply a case of the new trains not working.

Advocates of the new shorter DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) will no doubt state that in fact they are doing fine, and that the short formations are actually an advantage of the new shorter trains, on the grounds that half a train is better than no train.
Had we retained proper intercity trains, I doubt that we would have had cancellations on the scale of the present short formations.

Whilst full length trains no doubt remain a future aspiration, for the here and now the downgrade is worse than expected.

And even when we do achieve full length trains, these are still nasty outer suburban DMUs and not proper intercity trains.
This is not just my view, look at the reviews on trip advisor, trustpilot and similar websites.
My feelings about downgrading from a buffet to a trolley are well known, but a study of customer reviews suggests that many people expect a buffet on an intercity service, not just me.
The absence of reservations, hard and small seats, non functioning air conditioning, and limited luggage space are all frequent causes of complaint.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 04, 2018, 14:20:28 »

My feelings about downgrading from a buffet to a trolley are well known, but a study of customer reviews suggests that many people expect a buffet on an intercity service, not just me.
The absence of reservations, hard and small seats, non functioning air conditioning, and limited luggage space are all frequent causes of complaint.
You can thank Dft for all that you have listed to be wrong with the new trains on the GW (Great Western) network. Be interesting to see what the feedback is like once they start running on the East Coast mainline.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 04, 2018, 14:29:01 »

I suspect that the East Coast units wont be as bad as the GWR (Great Western Railway) ones.
Firstly, I think that East coast passengers are still allowed a buffet, the "no buffet" downgrade was a GWR thing.
Secondly they might work better, lessons might have been learnt from the failed introduction on GWR.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 04, 2018, 15:03:41 »

Meanwhile, I had my first encounter with a full-sized IET (Intercity Express Train) today, at Tiverton Parkway:

It wasn't burdened with passengers obviously - 5Z05 was running to Paignton as a testing / training run.

Now, please!
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #625 on: July 04, 2018, 15:44:24 »

It's the worst of both worlds. The same trains are running on intercity services (like London-Penzance) without a full buffet, as well as on outer-commuter services (like London-Oxford) where they waste 20 seats worth of space on an unnecessary kitchen.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 04, 2018, 16:56:06 »

I have now made 30 journeys on IETs (Intercity Express Train) and I have noticed in recent weeks the reservation system has been working more often than it hasn't - although yesterday it seemed to be case of "belt and braces" with both paper tickets and the electronic displays.  At least they agreed with each other!

One other thing I did notice yesterday however was a localised fault with the aircon.  An area of four rows of seats on one side of the train were all noticeably warmer than those around them.  On an HST (High Speed Train) it has always been a case of all or nothing.  Seems the systems on the IET might be more modular.
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 04, 2018, 18:26:57 »

After 40 years of amazing technical advances since the introduction of HSTs (High Speed Train) we finish up with a mediocre under floor electro-diesel train. Sadly we could not even design and build it in the UK (United Kingdom). I find it amazing that there is no UK owned company that can build our trains.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 04, 2018, 18:30:16 »

We gave football to the world and we can no longer win it....  oh hang on.  Grin
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 04, 2018, 18:41:10 »

After 40 years of amazing technical advances since the introduction of HSTs (High Speed Train) we finish up with a mediocre under floor electro-diesel train. Sadly we could not even design and build it in the UK (United Kingdom). I find it amazing that there is no UK owned company that can build our trains.

Never mind, it will all change next March and all train manufacture will return to the UK...... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 18:54:34 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: