21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:47:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 547304 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: July 04, 2018, 18:53:10 »

It would appear now (well, today at least) that service introduction to the far Southwest has been deferred from 16 July 2018 to 20 August 2018.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 04, 2018, 18:59:13 »

It would appear now (well, today at least) that service introduction to the far Southwest has been deferred from 16 July 2018 to 20 August 2018.

…………...will there be enough HSTs (High Speed Train) left to maintain the service?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 04, 2018, 19:24:45 »

…………...will there be enough HSTs (High Speed Train) left to maintain the service?

Probably not (cue lots of cancellations during the peak summer season).  Its apparently due to "more drivers than usual needing to be trained"..... Tongue Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 19:30:59 by SandTEngineer » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 04, 2018, 21:40:40 »

Never mind, it will all change next March and all train manufacture will return to the UK (United Kingdom)...... Roll Eyes

Can we have a "Haha" button please?  Grin

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #634 on: July 04, 2018, 23:00:01 »

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 05, 2018, 16:43:09 »

I think that the new stock they are being trained on is a ghost train to go with the invisible CEO (Chief Executive Officer)....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 05, 2018, 17:05:30 »

I have had another very negative report from a relative about the new trains.

They booked a seat, but as is the norm with the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), bookings were not honoured.
The train was dangerously overcrowded with air conditioning not working.
They could not walk to the buffet, and seemed very surprised when I told them that the new trains don't have one.
No refreshment trolley was seen between London and Cardiff.

This was a return journey, no seats, refreshments, reservations or air conditioning in either direction.
With no prompting from me they remarked "I did not know that we where getting Virgin Voyagers"

Whilst the disappointment of one customer does not prove much, such experiences seem to be the norm.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 05, 2018, 17:36:02 »

Have you made many journeys on them yourself yet, Broadgage?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 05, 2018, 17:52:12 »

I’ve made a few journeys myself and they are in no way an improvement on an HST (High Speed Train), in fact they’re a significant downgrade with, from what I hear, several technical difficulties most resulting from the change of specification.  Some are now restricted to running in diesel only mode.
As I understand it, there’s still grave concerns over their ability to cope with seawater at Dawlish. 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 05, 2018, 18:26:45 »

Still undecided if the IETs (Intercity Express Train) are an improvement on the HSTs (High Speed Train). Both have pros and cons. However I am certain they are better than the Voyagers - whether Virgin’s or Cross Country’s.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 05, 2018, 18:58:06 »

Not many, I am glad to say. 3 journeys IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), all half length, standing only, so I cant comment on the seats.
Trolley not sighted on 2 trips. On the third journey I found the static trolley but it had run out of beer and most other drinks.
I was initially surprised by the near silent under floor engine, but then realised that it had failed.
I was told that "standing in first class is not allowed" even with a first class ticket. I have applied for a refund of the difference between first and steerage, might get it this year ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 05, 2018, 19:14:03 »

Yes it’s a shame the 5-car situation is ruining their introduction on so many trains - a definite result for your crystal ball there.  As a 10-car (or one of the new 9-car) formation I think they are better than Pendolino or Voyagers and remind me quite a lot of Mk IV’s.  The extra capacity over an 8-car HST (High Speed Train) really becomes apparent then. 

In my own trips, numbering a dozen or so, I’ve yet to have any issues with the air con, or non working engines (other than once in my first trip which didn’t make much difference performance wise as the other 5 were working), but the reservation system and automatic announcements/displays have been very problematic.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 05, 2018, 21:04:26 »

I am part way through a 1st Class Rail Rover week and am reluctant to try to write on my phone, but I'll have a go.  The first train used was  on Monday from Yatton to Bristol on a 5 coach IET (Intercity Express Train) with folk standing in the 1st section of the composite because they physically couldn't get into standard. So much for improvement in capacity promised. There were no reservations. The unit was in reverse formation anyway so I would have been uncomfortable if they were.  However, for me  the 1st Class seat in the IET has been by far the worst I've experienced and that's including XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and Scottish Rail Standard class. I could not cope with that for long. Only my opinion of course, but I fear the days of treating myself to a 1st on GWR (Great Western Railway) have passed. Ironing board? Luxury!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 05, 2018, 21:49:08 »

Yes people have different options.  For me the first class seats are fine - not as luxurious looking as the lovely HST (High Speed Train) GWR (Great Western Railway) seats which are fantastic but, I found neck support with the moveable head cushion a real bonus (my only problem with the HST seats) as was the ability to move the window armrest and rest my arm along the window ledge.

It doesn’t look the premium product it should be though and as such is one disappointing aspect of the new  trains.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 06, 2018, 09:18:00 »

Only about a dozen half length IETs (Intercity Express Train) today, so far.
I do however note several advertised as being 9 car instead of 10 car. This is of very little DIRECT concern as the seating capacity is very similar. It does however suggest that availability of the 5 car units is less than expected.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: