I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:54:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543954 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: July 29, 2018, 12:00:00 »

Agree, the end or driving vehicle is first class, but has very limited seating. The adjacent vehicle has some first class but mainly standard. Total first class seating is 36.

The seats are hard, and the interiors very basic, certainly don't feel like an intercity train. More like a regional DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) at best.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 31, 2018, 00:48:43 »

Apparently the timetable change means that the 802s can’t run until May!
So says another very reliable local news website.

Quote from Cornish Live

The new generation of Great Western Railway's intercity express trains will not run on the Paddington to Penzance line until May 2019.

The new trains were planned for early 2019 but Network Rail has now pushed back timetable changes.

The first Class 800 carrying passengers from London Paddington to Devon along the iconic Dawlish seawall line arrived in Paignton on Saturday.

But a newer Class 802 version is being specifically built in Italy to cope with the steep gradients at Totnes so that the trains can run all the way through to Cornwall.

GWR (Great Western Railway) transformation director Richard Rowland said: “From later this summer, our customers in Devon and Cornwall will see more of these new trains when we introduce our Class 802 versions, which were specifically built to deal with the steep gradients en route to Penzance.”

This report makes no sence. They are saying at one point they are being modified (no, they are being designed to cope with) and the next minute it is because of the timetable.

Ah. The joy of the news.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 00:59:14 by CMRailway » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 31, 2018, 01:06:00 »

That article, seen across Cornwall Live, Devon Live, Somerset Live is, not to put to fine a point on it, poppycock.

The 802s will be introduced incrementally up to the timetable change scheduled for May 2019. They are not being modified, they have been designed from day one to cope with the route from Paddington to Penzance via the Berks & Hants, with additional diesel engine power to cope with the hilly route between Newton Abbot & Plymouth. They have been testing on this route for several months now without major issue.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 31, 2018, 06:00:30 »

That article, seen across Cornwall Live, Devon Live, Somerset Live is, not to put to fine a point on it, poppycock.

Agree entirely with BNM. Also, for those of you who did read the article(s), I guess you would have noticed that the forum's own bobm features with his pictures  Smiley
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 31, 2018, 09:17:11 »

Thanks Phil - but the good news is readers here saw the photos first!
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 31, 2018, 09:28:27 »

Like most of what appears on these xxxxxx Live websites/Facebook pages. It's not journalism just click bait.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 31, 2018, 11:47:05 »

Apparently the timetable change means that the 802s can’t run until May!
So says another very reliable local news website.

Quote from Cornish Live

The new generation of Great Western Railway's intercity express trains will not run on the Paddington to Penzance line until May 2019.

The new trains were planned for early 2019 but Network Rail has now pushed back timetable changes.

The first Class 800 carrying passengers from London Paddington to Devon along the iconic Dawlish seawall line arrived in Paignton on Saturday.

But a newer Class 802 version is being specifically built in Italy to cope with the steep gradients at Totnes so that the trains can run all the way through to Cornwall.

GWR (Great Western Railway) transformation director Richard Rowland said: “From later this summer, our customers in Devon and Cornwall will see more of these new trains when we introduce our Class 802 versions, which were specifically built to deal with the steep gradients en route to Penzance.”

This report makes no sence. They are saying at one point they are being modified (no, they are being designed to cope with) and the next minute it is because of the timetable.

Ah. The joy of the news.

The joys of modern journalism, where some idiot who's left college gets to write about something they have no idea or interest in!  Someone should tell Cornish Live that story is fake news Tongue
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 31, 2018, 13:19:29 »

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before but is it assumed that all IETs (Intercity Express Train) run on the wires from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to Didcot now? Reason for asking is that I was on the 1900 to Temple Meads yesterday (two 5-cars, both in service) and it definitely left both PAD and RDG(resolve) under diesel power. I didn't notice if the pans were up or down when I boarded and couldn't be bothered to hop out at RDG to check. 
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 31, 2018, 13:33:59 »

A couple of 802s out on test today.

802 006 running from Stoke Gifford to Plymouth

802 101 running from Plymouth to Exeter St Davids

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 31, 2018, 13:35:03 »

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before but is it assumed that all IETs (Intercity Express Train) run on the wires from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to Didcot now? Reason for asking is that I was on the 1900 to Temple Meads yesterday (two 5-cars, both in service) and it definitely left both PAD and RDG(resolve) under diesel power. I didn't notice if the pans were up or down when I boarded and couldn't be bothered to hop out at RDG to check. 

There are a few sets restricted to running on diesel only apparently.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 31, 2018, 15:04:59 »

A couple of 802s out on test today.

802 006 running from Stoke Gifford to Plymouth

802 101 running from Plymouth to Exeter St Davids

Wonderful photos. Not long until the days of me waiting at Didcot and Swindon in the rain for a HST (High Speed Train) to turn up, beautiful trains. Will be missed.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 31, 2018, 15:28:26 »

Good pictures.
I rather like the external appearance of these units, and I consider that Bi-mode is better than all diesel.

My objections are to the interior layout and design.
Make them 10 car (keep a limited number of 5 car for portion working and lightly used services, but mostly 10 car)
Add a proper hot buffet.
4 fewer seats per vehicle to give more table seats (and thereby more luggage space between the seat backs).
Add padding to the seats.
Make the interior a bit more cheerful looking.

And I would consider them to be acceptable by modern standards

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 31, 2018, 15:32:53 »

Hear, hear to all your comments broadgage....but knowing of your prediliction for fine dining, I would have thought a proper hot buffet would have been top of the list !
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #718 on: July 31, 2018, 15:43:16 »

Good pictures.
I rather like the external appearance of these units, and I consider that Bi-mode is better than all diesel.

My objections are to the interior layout and design.
Make them 10 car (keep a limited number of 5 car for portion working and lightly used services, but mostly 10 car)
Add a proper hot buffet.
4 fewer seats per vehicle to give more table seats (and thereby more luggage space between the seat backs).
Add padding to the seats.
Make the interior a bit more cheerful looking.

And I would consider them to be acceptable by modern standards

Now - perhaps that's an early major refit - or would you consider something more radical such as keeping the production line going with modified internals, and cascading the earlier trains onto the Cross Country routes, 5 cars replacing their current 4 car trains, and bimodes running electric from Bromsgrove to Birmingham / Manchesters, and from Yorkshire up to the Scottish Lowlands?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 31, 2018, 16:04:45 »

I put lengthening to 10 car first in my list, as that is the only way to provide a proper hot buffet without loss of seating.
Remove 4 seats from most vehicles to give more tables,that means a loss of about 24 seats.
Add a buffet  car with a decent size servery and there should be room for about 44 seats, so only a slight net gain, but still a gain, and a much more comfortable train as well.

Even on an intercity train, I would consider longitudinal seating to be acceptable but ONLY in the buffet car. With a central servery counter, and longitudinal seating at each end, there would be plenty of standing room.
I have long held the view that many people PREFER to stand if in convivial company and taking a drink, just as many people choose to stand in a public house, despite the availability of seats.
On a busy train, perhaps 40 customers standing THROUGH CHOICE in the buffet means 40 more seats available for other customers, a most useful gain in capacity.
Plenty of strong grab rails, and small tables would be a requirement.

I am no good at drawing on a PC, nor at posting images. Would some expert care to produce a drawing and post it,  showing their interpretation of my suggestion. I would reply.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: