Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:09 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:24 Exmouth to Cardiff Central
20:30 Carmarthen to Bristol Parkway
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
21:00 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Shrub Hill
21:15 Great Malvern to Bristol Temple Meads
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 22:05:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 546836 times)
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: July 31, 2018, 16:56:00 »

I have long held the view that many people PREFER to stand if in convivial company and taking a drink

The 2330 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) won't be quite the same without a bar to stand in!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 31, 2018, 21:30:31 »

According to information from insiders on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum the first scheduled non-Paignton IET (Intercity Express Train) services to the Far Southwest effective 20 August 2018, are going to be (Note: Full train set diagrams quoted below):

1A72 05:53 Plymouth to Paddington
1D20 09:50 Paddington to Oxford
1P26 12:01 Oxford to Paddington
1C89 16:36 Paddington to Exeter
1A98 19:55 Exeter to Paddington

1C04 07:30 Paddington to Penzance
1A93 14:00 Penzance to Paddington
1C96 20:03 Paddington to Plymouth
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 21:54:58 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 31, 2018, 21:55:31 »

Hopefully the IETS will be cleared from Yeovil to Exeter prior to the blockade 16/02/2019 to 08/03/2019 at Whiteball Tunnel?

Or are the passed already?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 01, 2018, 00:47:01 »

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before but is it assumed that all IETs (Intercity Express Train) run on the wires from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to Didcot now? Reason for asking is that I was on the 1900 to Temple Meads yesterday (two 5-cars, both in service) and it definitely left both PAD and RDG(resolve) under diesel power. I didn't notice if the pans were up or down when I boarded and couldn't be bothered to hop out at RDG to check. 

There are a few sets restricted to running on diesel only apparently.

Two sets are currently restricted to diesel only I believe.  Also, if the train computer rejects the headcode for the train (quite common) then a generic code has to be entered and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) the instruction is then to swap to diesel at Reading rather than on the move near Didcot.  Software upgrades will no doubt sort that out soon, though there have been a disappointing number of such annoying software glitches that should really have been sorted out far quicker.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 01, 2018, 06:04:18 »

Lots of "Famous Five" short formations today already...…………

06:45 London Paddington to Swansea due 09:48
07:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 08:47
07:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central due 09:20
09:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington due 11:12
09:56 Cardiff Central to London Paddington due 12:00
10:29 Swansea to London Paddington due 13:32
11:45 London Paddington to Swansea due 14:45
12:45 London Paddington to Swansea due 15:43
14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 15:41
15:29 Swansea to London Paddington due 18:30
16:29 Swansea to London Paddington due 19:34
19:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 20:45
20:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 21:44
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 01, 2018, 10:21:10 »

My objections are to the interior layout and design.

The colour shade used for the seats and carpets is a little too light and stains are starting to show on both.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see a seat refit with a more padded option within a year or two.  I’ve said before that I personally find the seats ok, but would appreciate slightly more padding as long as it doesn’t compromise the excellent legroom - aside from that gripe other issues passengers have generally seem minor.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 01, 2018, 10:58:11 »

The absence of a buffet is a serious failing on so called inter city trains.
This is not just my view but is widely reported.
Hence my suggestion to lengthen all the 9 car units, and some of the 5 car ones to 10 car with the addition of a proper hot buffet.
Not a static trolley, or a microbuffet, but a proper inter city hot buffet that can serve real coffee, chilled beer, and cooked to order hot snacks like bacon rolls or eggs on toast.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: August 01, 2018, 11:24:13 »

My objections are to the interior layout and design.

The colour shade used for the seats and carpets is a little too light and stains are starting to show on both.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see a seat refit with a more padded option within a year or two.  I’ve said before that I personally find the seats ok, but would appreciate slightly more padding as long as it doesn’t compromise the excellent legroom - aside from that gripe other issues passengers have generally seem minor.

Some photos from IET (Intercity Express Train) Facebook group which apparently show new seat cushions, and comments to the effect that they are being retrofitted. They appear to be a darker shade as well.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/theiethstappreciationsociety/search/?query=seats
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 01, 2018, 12:06:32 »

Does anyone know the reason for todays half length IETs (Intercity Express Train) ?
Trains broken
Staff shortage
Or in fact running as 5+5 but with half locked out of use, due to RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).

Journey check no longer gives a reason.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #729 on: August 01, 2018, 13:14:00 »

Does anyone know the reason for todays half length IETs (Intercity Express Train) ?
Trains broken
Staff shortage
Or in fact running as 5+5 but with half locked out of use, due to RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers).

Journey check no longer gives a reason.

There are reasons on some - here are a couple that relate to different diagrams

16:29 Swansea to London Paddington due 19:34
Facilities on the 16:29 Swansea to London Paddington due 19:34.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10.

14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 15:41
Facilities on the 14:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads due 15:41.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: August 01, 2018, 18:08:54 »

Is there any reason why the 5 car sets can't have extra cars added while we are waiting for all the longer sets to be commissioned, even if that does prolong their introduction?

I understand that the units' s/w is set up to allow this.

OTC
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 01, 2018, 19:13:36 »

Is there any reason why the 5 car sets can't have extra cars added while we are waiting for all the longer sets to be commissioned, even if that does prolong their introduction?

OTC

How would that work? The project is already well over budget and where woud they go after that time? They would only length them if it was permanent, and the five cars are going to run solo frequently in the new timetable. GWR (Great Western Railway) (it comes as a surprise) do have a plan which they believe will work. We will have to just wait and see.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 01, 2018, 19:46:05 »

OTC

How would that work? The project is already well over budget and where woud they go after that time? They would only length them if it was permanent, and the five cars are going to run solo frequently in the new timetable. GWR (Great Western Railway) (it comes as a surprise) do have a plan which they believe will work. We will have to just wait and see.

This all depends - on the meaning of a bit of the requirement that has always puzzled me.
3.3 Unit Formation and Length

TS1829 IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) Units must be equipped with a Driving IEP Vehicle at each end and allow the IEP train be driven in either direction from each Driving IEP Vehicle.

TS223 IEP Units must be able to operate within the following length constraints:
• Maximum length – nominally 312m (this is the maximum design length of an IEP Unit); and
• Minimum length – nominally 130m, where two minimum length IEP Units coupled together form an IEP Train no longer than 260m.

TS1977 It must be possible to add Intermediate IEP Vehicles to an IEP Unit subject to the IEP Unit till being no greater than the maximum length identified in TS223.

TS1979 It must be possible to remove Intermediate IEP Vehicles from an IEP Unit from any intermediate position subject to the Intermediate IEP Vehicles being removed being of the correct Functional Vehicle Type and the IEP Unit remaining at least the minimum length.

TS1980 The design of the IEP Units must ensure the time to add or remove Intermediate IEP Vehicle is minimised and is in any event no greater than 8 hours.

TS1589 With regards to IEP Unit reconfiguration it must be possible to reconfigure software and control systems within 15 minutes when Intermediate IEP Vehicles have been added, removed or replaced.

There's also this bit:
3.1.3 Flexibility

TS1578 The design of the IEP Units must ensure that the IEP Units have the flexibility to allow for train formation changes, changes of power source, and redeployment throughout their life.
The design of the IEP Units must minimise the cost and timescales to effect these changes.

TS1965 It is an essential requirement that the number of different Functional Vehicle Types within the architecture of the various trains is minimised and there shall in any event be no more
D than 13 distinct Functional Vehicle Types.

Now, the published layouts (from ages ago - 2012) did list functional vehicle types, plus a longer type code that included the internal fittings too. Traditional BR (British Rail(ways)) vehicle labels are somewhere between those two. Those layouts are for 5, 8, and 9 car units, which are made up as:
5: DPT1 / M1e / M3-M3e / M1-M1e / DPT1
8: DPT1 / M1e / M2-M2e / T(p) / T1 / M3-M3e / M1-M1e / DPT1
9: DPT1 / M1e / M2-M2e / Tp / M2-M2e / T2 / M3-M3e / M1-M1e / DPT1

Now, I can work out that the M1/M2/M3 are electric motor cars and 'e' adds an engine, so they are listed as alternatives. And it does appear that a Tp and a T(p) are different, as presumably are T1 and T2. So it does not look as if you can make an 8-car out of one 5 plus the middles of another; it does say that anything added has to be of the right functional vehicle type (to add).

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 01, 2018, 20:04:00 »

Some photos from IET (Intercity Express Train) Facebook group which apparently show new seat cushions, and comments to the effect that they are being retrofitted. They appear to be a darker shade as well.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/theiethstappreciationsociety/search/?query=seats
The general understanding elsewhere seems to be that it’s a cover material change only, nothing to do with the cushions...

Paul
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 01, 2018, 22:18:09 »

OTC

As there seems to be a habit of towing 5-car units around locked OOU (out of use) for lack of staff, it seems reasonable to add some of the unused trailers, unlocked, onto the leading unit.

It depends on the priority given to customer service....

OTC
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: