Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:11:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543865 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: August 01, 2018, 23:00:06 »

Taking vehicles from locked out of use 5 car units and adding them to operational units, so as to make them longer than 5 car, sounds tempting but I suspect that it would be fraught with problems and hugely expensive.
These DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are fantastically complicated and I strongly suspect that vehicles removed from a certain 5 car set, can only be used as spares to replace failed vehicles in the same position in ANOTHER 5 car set,
I bet that some subtle difference prohibits them being used to lengthen a 5 car set to something longer.

It would probably be cheaper and quicker to either defeat the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), or to admit defeat and employ more union members.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 02, 2018, 08:35:46 »

Sad thing for me is that the travelling public will largely blame the new technology for these problems (50% of trains locked OOU (out of use) etc) when it's all down to a good old-fashioned (and I mean old-fashioned) industrial dispute  Angry
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 02, 2018, 08:49:28 »

Sad thing for me is that the travelling public will largely blame the new technology for these problems (50% of trains locked OOU (out of use) etc) when it's all down to a good old-fashioned (and I mean old-fashioned) industrial dispute  Angry

Really !

Isn't it also down to the fact that 5-car units were procured instead of 9-car units. In the event that an emergency alarm is activated by a passenger in the 5-car set NOT occupied by a competent member of staff, the sole competent member of staff other than the driver would have to detrain and walk to the other set and make an entrance there to investigate the emergency leaving the driver to do his duty to prep the train for moving on when it is safe/cleared to do so.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #738 on: August 02, 2018, 08:55:19 »

Isn't it also down to the fact that 5-car units were procured instead of 9-car units. ...

The overall fleet will be a mixture of 5 and 9 car units - designed as such so that a mixture can be used getting the right length trains on the right service.   However, just about all the 5 car 800s were delivered before any 9 cars arrived, resulting in 5+5 trains being run where 9 cars will become the norm, with the temporary extra crew issues.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 02, 2018, 09:01:53 »

Isn't it also down to the fact that 5-car units were procured instead of 9-car units. ...

The overall fleet will be a mixture of 5 and 9 car units - designed as such so that a mixture can be used getting the right length trains on the right service.   However, just about all the 5 car 800s were delivered before any 9 cars arrived, resulting in 5+5 trains being run where 9 cars will become the norm, with the temporary extra crew issues.

And promises have been made in the past for the future and when the future came to pass where were those promises ?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 02, 2018, 09:04:05 »

I blame the problems on the ordering of a fleet of mainly 5 car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) for so called inter city services.
The order should have been mainly 9 car with perhaps a limited number of short units for lightly used services.

Some naysayers like me predicted that short formations would be a regular event as has happened.
Whilst the obstructive attitude of the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) has not helped (other multiple units run without a union member in each portion), a lot of the short formations yesterday and today, have been due to train faults and not RMT demands.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #741 on: August 02, 2018, 09:13:29 »

And promises have been made in the past for the future and when the future came to pass where were those promises ?

Can't deny that.  However, with 9 cars starting to arrive and being in the production pipeline, I think this is something that will is happening.  Later than intended, maybe ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 02, 2018, 10:40:06 »

Plus the other oddity that services where a single 5 car might be the long term intention currently have 9 cars. After being used to a settled pattern of deployment for some years we now have almost daily juggling round availbility of train sets and corresponding drivers and other staff.

Single 5 car units are also needed for the vanity non (or few) stop services that haven't started up yet Smiley
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 02, 2018, 11:33:24 »

Single 5 car units are also needed for the vanity non (or few) stop services that haven't started up yet Smiley
Glad its not just me who thinks that.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: August 02, 2018, 12:26:47 »

Can't deny that.  However, with 9 cars starting to arrive and being in the production pipeline, I think this is something that will is happening.  Later than intended, maybe ...

Amen to that, I think (hope) we can all agree that a lot of these issues (be they due to technical, staff resourcing or industrial relations issues) could have been avoided if more 9-car units had been deployed earlier.

Once they are (on the routes where they are needed, and 5+5's have become the norm up to now), one hopes that the public perception will start to improve, where it needs to.

eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 02, 2018, 15:46:58 »

Amen to that, I think (hope) we can all agree that a lot of these issues (be they due to technical, staff resourcing or industrial relations issues) could have been avoided if more 9-car units had been deployed earlier.

Once they are (on the routes where they are needed, and 5+5's have become the norm up to now), one hopes that the public perception will start to improve, where it needs to.

The 9-car units were due for earlier delivery but they were all-electric 801s and only Cardiff will be fully electrified, so they had to be modified to 800s with diesel engines.  If only Network Rail had electrified the whole line to the original timetable.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 02, 2018, 17:00:37 »

The 9-car units were due for earlier delivery but they were all-electric 801s and only Cardiff will be fully electrified, so they had to be modified to 800s with diesel engines.  If only Network Rail had electrified the whole line to the original timetable.

I have no idea where this bit of reverse engineered history came from, but it's not true. The order with all the 5-car trains (800s) first and then 9-car (originally electric 801) trains was in the original agreements with Hitachi/Agility and the GWR (Great Western Railway) franchise. They are just all turning up about 3 months late, that's all.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 02, 2018, 17:10:13 »

So following the last few posts I'm unsure of this: When and if all the 9-cars have been delivered, are the 2x5s to continue running as 2x5 or are they to be split into two separate 5-car trains?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 02, 2018, 17:29:44 »

AFAIK (as far as I know), the intention is to run many services as 5+5 car from London to Plymouth* with a single 5 car unit going forward.
The intention is that all busy services will be full length, with relatively small numbers of lightly used services being 5 car throughout.

However my natural cynicism leads me to suspect that many services planned as 5+5 for the busy part of the route, will in fact be 5 car throughout.
I also suspect that some busy services that should be 9 car or 5+5 will end up being 5 car.

Many recent short formations have been due to train faults, and whilst the delivery of the 9 car sets will help some routes or services, if the 5 car units do not improve then the problem is only transferred to whatever route or service that the 5 car units are used on.

*Or a suitable point on another route.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #749 on: August 02, 2018, 17:36:52 »

So following the last few posts I'm unsure of this: When and if all the 9-cars have been delivered, are the 2x5s to continue running as 2x5 or are they to be split into two separate 5-car trains?

You will see some 5+5 trains and some 9 trains.  Until recently, you only saw 5+5 and they were in use on some that will continue to be 5+5 and some that will become 9.   The 5+5 s will be able to split along the way, so you'll continue to see them on London to Carmarthen and London to Weston / Taunton, with 5 cars only west of Swansea / Bristol.

I'm trying to recall the exact text, but I think it was "no 5 car trains out of Paddington in the peak hour - they will all be 9 or 10". That may have been before Bedwyn was going IET (Intercity Express Train) ... or perhaps the plan is to split Cheltenham and Bedwyn sections at Reading?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: