Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:20 Swansea to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:05 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:51:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543754 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 03, 2018, 20:25:08 »

Regarding the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) requirement for a train manager in each portion of a 5+5 IET (Intercity Express Train), I am wondering if this might sway the  financial argument in favour of lengthening some 5 car units to 9 car.

On first sight, it would seem that a train managers salary is a lot less than the cost of leasing a longer train. But this does not tell the whole story.
The train managers annual working hours are a lot less than the hours for which the train works.
Presuming that a train manager has 5 weeks holiday a year, and 1 week sick leave, and an average of 1 weeks training, that leaves 45 weeks work. presuming an average 40 hour week, of which only 20 hours is productive, it would seem to me that the train manager would only achieve about 900 productive hours a year, 1,000 hours if being optimistic.

There are 8,760 hours in a year, and the intensively used trains might be in service for 5,000 hours a year. So lengthening a 5 car unit to 9 car, is potentially saving 5 or even 6 train managers salaries, and not a single salary as might be initially supposed.

Lengthening some 5 car units to 9 car would not of course double the leasing costs since the extra vehicles should be cheaper, and 4 extras are required, not 5.
Reliability should increase since coupling and uncoupling seems to cause some of the failures.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 03, 2018, 21:12:35 »

Regarding the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) requirement for a train manager in each portion of a 5+5 IET (Intercity Express Train), I am wondering if this might sway the  financial argument in favour of lengthening some 5 car units to 9 car.

On first sight, it would seem that a train managers salary is a lot less than the cost of leasing a longer train. But this does not tell the whole story.
The train managers annual working hours are a lot less than the hours for which the train works.
Presuming that a train manager has 5 weeks holiday a year, and 1 week sick leave, and an average of 1 weeks training, that leaves 45 weeks work. presuming an average 40 hour week, of which only 20 hours is productive, it would seem to me that the train manager would only achieve about 900 productive hours a year, 1,000 hours if being optimistic.

There are 8,760 hours in a year, and the intensively used trains might be in service for 5,000 hours a year. So lengthening a 5 car unit to 9 car, is potentially saving 5 or even 6 train managers salaries, and not a single salary as might be initially supposed.

Lengthening some 5 car units to 9 car would not of course double the leasing costs since the extra vehicles should be cheaper, and 4 extras are required, not 5.
Reliability should increase since coupling and uncoupling seems to cause some of the failures.

You may be right Broadgauge, but knowing the railways, it will take them 10 years to work that out, by which time the design will be out of date and it would be too costly to manufacturer new coaching stock. However, there is also the question of if the remaining electrification ever gets done, what happens to the extra trains ordered due to the delay?
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 03, 2018, 22:48:18 »

The extra trains would still be useful in the event of electrification, they could either be cascaded to areas not yet electrified, or simply have the engines removed use on the present routes.

That however still leaves the risk that by the time lengthening is authorised, that the design will be obsolete!
Remember the Pendolinos ? intended to be easily extended but this turned out to be hugely costly and complex when eventually done.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 04, 2018, 10:55:51 »

IET (Intercity Express Train) availability looks worse than usual today.
Over 30 half length services, many in the rush hours.

As well as these 30+ half length IETs there are numerous other, less serious short formations suggesting availability is worse than the "new normal".

8 car instead of 9 or 10 car, not a great problem in itself as an HST (High Speed Train) is  what was expected until recently.
9 car instead of 10 car, virtually the same capacity, but does suggest lack of 5 car units.
5 car instead of 8 car.
7 car instead of 9 or 10 car.
These are less serious than the half capacity trains, but still a poor showing, and presumably mean no rservations, and probably no catering.

Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 04, 2018, 17:56:10 »

I passed North Pole at around 1020 this morning inbound to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), and having only now read the above would say that there were at least 15 and possibly up to 20 IETs (Intercity Express Train) of various flavours parked at various places (inside and outside) around the depot at that time.

I'm not going to speculate (as that's all it would be) but the previous post suggests that at least some of those could have otherwise been in useful service?

lbraine

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 04, 2018, 22:08:52 »

So I pinged @gwrhelp the direct question asking why so many 10 car sets running with 5 cars out of use. The reply was ‘sets are running this way due to a fault on the second set’.

Sounds like the Class 800 don’t play nice together.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 04, 2018, 22:43:38 »

I passed North Pole at around 1020 this morning inbound to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), and having only now read the above would say that there were at least 15 and possibly up to 20 IETs (Intercity Express Train) of various flavours parked at various places (inside and outside) around the depot at that time.

I'm not going to speculate (as that's all it would be) but the previous post suggests that at least some of those could have otherwise been in useful service?

Some of those will be 800 and 802 units yet to be accepted into traffic (especially the 9-car ones), some will have been in use earlier or later in the day, and (no doubt) a few would have been in service had there not been issues with them.  The exact split of those three different categories would be interesting to know.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #922 on: September 05, 2018, 08:56:53 »

Some of those will be 800 and 802 units yet to be accepted into traffic (especially the 9-car ones), some will have been in use earlier or later in the day, and (no doubt) a few would have been in service had there not been issues with them.  The exact split of those three different categories would be interesting to know.

Looking out on the other side of my train in the Old Oak area, there also seemed to be an awful lot of TfL» (Transport for London - about) trains parked up in the sidings. Not so much a shortage of trains, more a shortage of trains in use ... and I do understand that there are probably good reasons for lots of trains being OOU (out of use) around OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)).

I wonder what the split across the UK (United Kingdom) is on ...

Carriages in daily use
Carriages parked up during the day but in nightly use
Carriages awaiting short term repair
Carriages undergoing short term repair
Carriages awaiting long term repair / conversion
Carriages undergoing long term repair / conversion
Carriages in use for testing
Carriages in use for crew training
Carriages held back to stand in for failures or unexpected loading
Carriages useable, off contract and awaiting new long term roles
Carriages off contract and awaiting new long term roles that would need work
Carriages available for spot hire
Carriages on the tracks in the UK but not yet accepted into service

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 05, 2018, 09:06:04 »

I just hope that if there a 9 car sets parked up waiting to accepted into traffic, that every effort is being made to get them in service ASAP. This daily long list of running of 5 vice 8/10 really is unacceptable.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 05, 2018, 09:27:35 »

I just hope that if there a 9 car sets parked up waiting to accepted into traffic, that every effort is being made to get them in service ASAP. This daily long list of running of 5 vice 8/10 really is unacceptable.

Indeed - a long list which seems to be sustained or get worse every day. A year after the IET (Intercity Express Train) came into service, we should be able to expect much better.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: September 05, 2018, 09:42:26 »

Indeed - a long list which seems to be sustained or get worse every day. A year after the IET (Intercity Express Train) came into service, we should be able to expect much better.
The decision to manufacture the 5 car sets and not the 9 car sets first and being unable to reverse the decision was just plain wrong. Its once again the passengers who suffer the rail industrie's incompetence.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: September 05, 2018, 12:05:49 »

Looking out on the other side of my train in the Old Oak area, there also seemed to be an awful lot of TfL» (Transport for London - about) trains parked up in the sidings

Yep, I noticed that yesterday also. A nice formation line-up of maybe a dozen 345's.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: September 05, 2018, 17:13:30 »

One improvement over the last couple of months is a reduction in the number of 10-Cars running with 5 locked out of use - I haven’t seen one in ages.  Some might suggest that’s because of the large number of 5-car short forms, but it is nonetheless an improvement.

Or maybe because they've had the chance to train up more staff onto the Class 800/802s? The problem was down to the Dft rushing the 800s into service and giving limited time for GWR (Great Western Railway) to train all its staff. Whilst we now have all the 800 5 car units in service I believe they are still undergoing modification/update work, as I predicted would happen with them effectively being a brand new entire model.  We are still have a limited amount of 9 car 800s running, and only 4 (5 car) Class 802s in service which means juggling the fleet around like they did with the HST (High Speed Train)'s is currently difficult. 

Also a quick question, as I presume its possible for the 800 and 802s to couple up, are they allowed to work a public service together, and since the 800s are banned for taking the public past Newton Abbot to Plymouth, if one was a 800s and the other was an 802s, would it still be banned?

A 5 car 800  (800 012) was out on it's own on the 0730 from Paddington to Penzance & back yesterday (Tuesday 4th)...

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: September 05, 2018, 18:29:50 »

One improvement over the last couple of months is a reduction in the number of 10-Cars running with 5 locked out of use - I haven’t seen one in ages.  Some might suggest that’s because of the large number of 5-car short forms, but it is nonetheless an improvement.

Or maybe because they've had the chance to train up more staff onto the Class 800/802s? The problem was down to the Dft rushing the 800s into service and giving limited time for GWR (Great Western Railway) to train all its staff. Whilst we now have all the 800 5 car units in service I believe they are still undergoing modification/update work, as I predicted would happen with them effectively being a brand new entire model.  We are still have a limited amount of 9 car 800s running, and only 4 (5 car) Class 802s in service which means juggling the fleet around like they did with the HST (High Speed Train)'s is currently difficult. 

Also a quick question, as I presume its possible for the 800 and 802s to couple up, are they allowed to work a public service together, and since the 800s are banned for taking the public past Newton Abbot to Plymouth, if one was a 800s and the other was an 802s, would it still be banned?

A 5 car 800  (800 012) was out on it's own on the 0730 from Paddington to Penzance & back yesterday (Tuesday 4th)...

Where was the 802s?   I know the 800s are having issues because Hitachi are more interested in having the train perfect than it actually running a service, the main problem with having the manufacturer as the leasing and maintenance company to the TOC (Train Operating Company).  Im surprised no HST was put on the service instead, unless we no longer have enough to cover for this kind of thing.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: September 06, 2018, 16:48:10 »

I also noticed the paint is already looking scrappy. Very dull and scratched and that's only after a few months

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: