Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:42:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543839 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: September 11, 2018, 21:38:21 »

Facinating photograph published elsewhere of stored (redundant) HST (High Speed Train) sets at Ely: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcrorie/43879066534/in/photostream/

Some of those sidings must be new, as they don't appear currently on Google maps...
I think they may have been put in only about two years ago in time to take the off lease 442s?

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: September 11, 2018, 23:34:44 »

Facinating photograph published elsewhere of stored (redundant) HST (High Speed Train) sets at Ely: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcrorie/43879066534/in/photostream/

Some of those sidings must be new, as they don't appear currently on Google maps:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ely/@52.4097715,0.2907868,3606a,35y,60.7h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47d80b13a8c66535:0xd5c9b00306add425!8m2!3d52.399539!4d0.262363

I don't follow - I can see the same six sidings, and even the same arrangmemnt of points lading to them!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 11, 2018, 23:46:28 »

5 car west of Plymouth was indeed the plan for many trains, but I thought that the intention was that all busy services would be either 10 car to Plymouth, or 9 car throughout.
This service was 5 car throughout, in each direction.

All busy trains, hopefully, yes.  Though GWR (Great Western Railway) have hardly inspired confidence in that regard since their introduction.  I thought you were referring to all long distance routes though, not just the west country, so apologies if that wasn't the case. 

For West Country trains, I can see some of the off-peak Paddington to Exeter semi-fasts (in whatever form they finally take) being 5-cars.  The first morning departure from, and last evening arrival at, Paddington to/from Penzance on weekdays could also be a 5-car at the Paddington end quite comfortably.

The rest should, and hopefully will, be 9 or 10-car.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 12, 2018, 09:29:09 »

Some of those sidings must be new, as they don't appear currently on Google maps:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Ely/@52.4097715,0.2907868,3606a,35y,60.7h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47d80b13a8c66535:0xd5c9b00306add425!8m2!3d52.399539!4d0.262363

I don't follow - I can see the same six sidings, and even the same arrangmemnt of points lading to them!
The sidings on the far side of the photo (approx. 12 roads) are new.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: September 12, 2018, 12:37:36 »

The sidings on the far side of the photo (approx. 12 roads) are new.
Found online coverage of them being opened.  A commercial venture by Potter Logistics, opened Oct 2016, e.g. here:
http://www.elyenterprisezone.co.uk/news/view,potter-logistics-ely-rail-freight-terminal-growth-on-track_58.htm

Paul
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: September 14, 2018, 00:16:29 »

Discussion on the failure and subsequent protracted evacuation of an IET (Intercity Express Train) - 1A93 the 1400 Penzance to Paddington, 13th September 2018 - has been given its own dedicated topic on this board.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20391.0

My thanks to forum Admin Chris from Nailsea for doing the splitting off of posts.  Smiley

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: September 15, 2018, 20:42:47 »

I'm confused.

When the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s were introduced we were told that the HST (High Speed Train)'s were going off lease because they had been promised to other TOC (Train Operating Company)'s, yes some have gone to another TOC and one (?) only converted and shortened and returned to GWR (Great Western Railway).

From the recent aerial view of sidings at Ely showing in what looked like FGW (First Great Western) liveried HST mk3 carriages and power cars stored there. I cannot recall the presence in the vicinity of Ely any railway works capable of converting the mk 3 carriages to sliding door operation or overhaul of the power cars, I believe such works done already on ex GWR vehicles was done at Doncaster a mere 200 miles to the north of Ely.

Surely with this stock languishing in those sidings,some of it could have been retained by extending the leases and run in place of a 5 car IEP, or a 2x5 car IEP with 5 locked out of use or a cancelled train because of lack of trained staff to operate the new trains.

Passengers have had to suffer many months of travelling hell due to high-ups making stupid decisions for which the passengers has had to endure the consequences. Any new footage for a future episode of Paddington 24/7 should be shot of these trains laid up at Ely followed of footage of well overcrowded 5 car IEP's with the narrative for the shot film emphasizing that the 5 cars should be 9 or 10 carriages.

Overall to me it doesn't make sense.

See why I'm confused.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: September 15, 2018, 20:49:47 »

Finances.

GWR (Great Western Railway) can't continue leasing HSTs (High Speed Train) alongside IETs (Intercity Express Train).

They won't take the financial hit, and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) won't bankroll it as they'd be admitting their IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) project is struggling.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: September 15, 2018, 21:08:44 »

Finances.

GWR (Great Western Railway) can't continue leasing HSTs (High Speed Train) alongside IETs (Intercity Express Train).

They won't take the financial hit, and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) won't bankroll it as they'd be admitting their IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) project is struggling.

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.

If an IEP is unavailable for service then a "lease credit" should be given for the unavailable IEP which should adequately cover the lease of a 40 year old, fully depreciated HST.

I think all readers of this forum are aware that the electrification of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) and the IEP project are both floundering deep in the brown stuff.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: September 15, 2018, 21:20:53 »

If an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is unavailable for service then a "lease credit" should be given for the unavailable IEP which should adequately cover the lease of a 40 year old, fully depreciated HST (High Speed Train).

I think all readers of this forum are aware that the electrification of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) and the IEP project are both floundering deep in the brown stuff.

That might work if they were available for spot hire, but they are not and GWR (Great Western Railway) don't know when Hitachi might get the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s working. GWR would have to hire them for some period without knowing when the IET's might be fixed.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: September 15, 2018, 21:38:01 »

If an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is unavailable for service then a "lease credit" should be given for the unavailable IEP which should adequately cover the lease of a 40 year old, fully depreciated HST (High Speed Train).

That might work if they were available for spot hire, but they are not and GWR (Great Western Railway) don't know when Hitachi might get the IET (Intercity Express Train)'s working. GWR would have to hire them for some period without knowing when the IET's might be fixed.

Then introduce a "spot hire" regime, simple.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: September 15, 2018, 21:43:12 »

For that to happen the owner of the HST (High Speed Train) must make the offer and to do that they must find somewhere to stable them in the GWR (Great Western Railway) area and keep them in a state that they can run at a moment's notice.  That will cost them money with no guarantee of income  - unless they believe Hitachi are going to be unable to solve the problems quickly.

In the mean time they are less able to look for a new long term use for the HSTs. 
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: September 15, 2018, 21:58:13 »

For that to happen the owner of the HST (High Speed Train) must make the offer and to do that they must find somewhere to stable them in the GWR (Great Western Railway) area and keep them in a state that they can run at a moment's notice.  That will cost them money with no guarantee of income  - unless they believe Hitachi are going to be unable to solve the problems quickly.

In the mean time they are less able to look for a new long term use for the HSTs. 

Isn't anyone in GWR HQ (Headquarters) got a tongue in their head who could ask the owner to discuss a spot hire arrangement, GWR has the ability to maintain HST's still and with the current performance of the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) fleet a "spot hire" arrangement for a couple of HST's could well last for some time and could be negotiated at least say monthly, there are more than one way of skinning a cat you know.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: September 15, 2018, 22:29:35 »

So have we moved from

"HSTs (High Speed Train) have got to go, they are promised to other operators and some promises cant be broken"
To
"Well there might be some HSTs available, but the logistics of hiring them for an unknown period are just too much trouble"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: September 15, 2018, 22:34:48 »

Finances.

But I thought that the IEPs only have to be paid for when they are available ? The recent levels of non availability should be SAVING GWR a lot of money, some of which they could spend on spot hire or monthly hire of a few HSTs.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: