09:27 Carmarthen to London Paddington
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 04:57:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 546895 times)
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #1110 on: October 24, 2018, 13:29:21 »

Half term seemed as a good time to take carriages off the tracks to perform “upgrades”?.. Does anyone have an updated programme for when we should expect to see all the IETs (Intercity Express Train) delivered?
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: October 24, 2018, 23:06:45 »

Half term seemed as a good time to take carriages off the tracks to perform “upgrades”?.. Does anyone have an updated programme for when we should expect to see all the IETs (Intercity Express Train) delivered?

Last HST (High Speed Train) to leave Paddington is expected at around spring time now and the last remaining diagrams will be on the Berks and Hants.

19/11/18 all Cheltenham-Paddington services will be operated by Class 800s.
10/12/18 Wales will see very few HST operated services. From that date there will be just 13 active HST diagrams.

November is going to be a busy month as many IETs are expected to be introduced including many nine car units.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 25, 2018, 13:21:38 »

It is being reported on another forum that all 800s and 802s are currently (no pun intended) restricted to diesel traction only, due to an issue with vacuum circuit breakers.
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 25, 2018, 17:11:17 »

By the time you posted this, the diesel only restriction had been lifted.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 25, 2018, 17:27:09 »

Sorry I was slow. I was running on diesel.  Grin
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 25, 2018, 18:38:53 »

Grin https://youtu.be/v9zU2ujgurE
YouKnowNothing

View Profile Email
« Reply #1116 on: October 25, 2018, 23:19:57 »

Can I ask where you get this information from? I would love to be able to source it.

Last HST (High Speed Train) to leave Paddington is expected at around spring time now and the last remaining diagrams will be on the Berks and Hants.

10/12/18 Wales will see very few HST operated services. From that date there will be just 13 active HST diagrams.

November is going to be a busy month as many IETs are expected to be introduced including many nine car units.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 26, 2018, 10:55:37 »

Can I ask where you get this information from? I would love to be able to source it.

I get my information from drivers who work for GWR (Great Western Railway) and have access to the STP diagrams. Some information is sourced on RailUK forums from various members of staff as well.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 01, 2018, 08:41:55 »

This was posted on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum earlier this morning (01/11/2018):

Urgent checks being undertaken following the discovery of a detached pan head on an 800 on test before delivery to LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about). Faulty weld on the Brecknell Willis pantograph identified as the cause. All 800s, 801s and 802s affected.

Whether this was found as a result of the 802016 mishap on the GWML (Great Western Main Line), or unconnected was not mentioned in the bulletin.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 01, 2018, 17:59:21 »

Shall I pop over the road and ask the Brecknell Willis factory foreman if he knows what's going on?  Tongue

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 02, 2018, 11:41:46 »

Interesting post this morning on Rail UK (United Kingdom) Forums regarding a possible solution to the issue of seat reservations being affected by last-minute rolling stock changes:

Quote from: 'CMRail'
Hybrid Seat Reservation system is going to be introduced early December. This means that you will be given HST (High Speed Train), 9Car and 10Car reservations all on one reservation. Of course, as of current, 10car reservations won’t be offered on South and North Cotswolds.

No further information given as of yet but not too long until this issue will be resolved.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 02, 2018, 11:57:27 »

Shall I pop over the road and ask the Brecknell Willis factory foreman if he knows what's going on?  Tongue
[/quote

Or Mr Freeman or Mr Hardy ? What a shame they didn't stick with making pipe organs.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: November 02, 2018, 18:10:00 »

Interesting post this morning on Rail UK (United Kingdom) Forums regarding a possible solution to the issue of seat reservations being affected by last-minute rolling stock changes:

Quote from: 'CMRail'
Hybrid Seat Reservation system is going to be introduced early December. This means that you will be given HST (High Speed Train), 9Car and 10Car reservations all on one reservation. Of course, as of current, 10car reservations won’t be offered on South and North Cotswolds.

No further information given as of yet but not too long until this issue will be resolved.

That was me   Wink. The twitter te m have been replying things just like:

Glad to hear you're seated, we are introducing a hybrid reservation system from Christmas which will make the reservations much more reliable as they will fit both the old and new trains. -Andy
We are moving to a hybrid reservation system which will work for either the old or new trains, so an on the day change shouldn't affect it which is what's causing the issues at the moment as reservations don't match. -Andy
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: November 03, 2018, 08:40:41 »

An interesting comment from a GWR (Great Western Railway) Insider on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum....
If the passenger figures justify it there is already talk that the production line could be opened to extend the length of some 5 cars and do away with a proportion of the multiple working. My Hitachi contact informs me that it is a relatively simple job to insert two 'lightweight standards' (38t) into the 5 cars but that a completely standard fleet of nine cars is not justifiable at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:00:34 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: November 03, 2018, 10:17:27 »

If the passenger figures justify it there is already talk that the production line could be opened to extend the length of some 5 cars and do away with a proportion of the multiple working. My Hitachi contact informs me that it is a relatively simple job to insert two 'lightweight standards' (38t) into the 5 cars but that a completely standard fleet of nine cars is not justifiable at the moment.

Hang on a mo’ – let me get this right….

The original 125s weren’t long enough with 7 cars, so they lengthened them to 8. Then 8 cars weren’t long enough, so they bought new 10 car trains. Except that the new 10 car trains were actually two 5 car trains joined together. Now, apparently, the 5 car trains aren’t long enough, so they are going to extend them to 7 cars – but the previous 7 car trains weren’t long enough years ago.  If they now join two 5 (7) car trains together they will be way too long for the majority of platforms, so how/where will they be used ?  They do have a 9 car train available now but that appears to be too long !!!...............  Huh Cry

I do not claim copyright on the above statement – I could not possibly have made it up ……………..

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: