08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:00 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 10:05:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[185] A daily picture from my recent travels
[65] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[56] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[54] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[49] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line
[46] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 542641 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: November 12, 2018, 18:29:06 »

An inspiration..…………..
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: November 12, 2018, 19:30:01 »

The table seats seem much less cramped than on HSTs (High Speed Train) as well - not sure if anyone has done the measurements to compare?
I haven't sat at a table seat on an IET (Intercity Express Train) but it seemed to me that there is generally a bit more leg room, although the legs that support the seat in front of you are slightly inconveniently placed.

I rather hope they don't fit padded seats. I find the IET seats very comfortable. Supportive, not squishy, plenty wide enough. Some of the best train seats I've sat on, for comfort.

I shall put this as delicately as possible...

You must be carrying a lot more "personal padding" around than I am... Wink

On a trip from Chippenham to Paddington I find myself uncomfortable and fidgeting well before we get to Didcot. In my view the description "ironing boards" is well-deserved.
Unfortunately you're probably correct.  Embarrassed Although I don't actually think this works the way you imply.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
CMRail
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 12, 2018, 21:32:53 »

I’m sorry, but our off all the issues faults and controversy on the 800s Hopwood is happy about his sticker agreement with Hitachi? Seats and Catering were the main complaints, maybe Mark will post about his dream railway network?

He hides behind a bush and his spokesmen do a good job, especially Dan Panes who replied to my tweet regarding reliability.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: November 12, 2018, 21:38:12 »

An inspiration..…………..

Too bad that Comical Ali was snapped up by MetroBust in Bristol.

Now, please!
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: November 12, 2018, 21:50:21 »

An inspiration..…………..

Too bad that Comical Ali was snapped up by MetroBust in Bristol.

......there's a lot of them about.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 13, 2018, 00:06:42 »

An IET (Intercity Express Train) is currently on its way to Pembroke Dock.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/F53958/2018/11/12/advanced

On test tonight.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: November 13, 2018, 11:33:22 »

There appear to be at least 4 diagrams short formed today

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 13, 2018, 13:46:09 »

Here is the list of current recurring faults on IETs (Intercity Express Train) as quoted by an insider on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum:

Brakes, OTMR (On Train Monitoring Recorder), TMS, power controller failures, doors sticking open, air conditioning units catching fire, engines shutting down, leaking door seals......
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: November 13, 2018, 18:16:55 »

18 sets apparently running on diesel only today too.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 13, 2018, 19:05:27 »

18 sets apparently running on diesel only today too.

Yes, many of those are quite able to run on electric, but need to be tested on depot if maintenance has been done on them.

So, AIUI (as I understand it), if for example a set needs a new carbon strip on the pantograph, then Stoke Gifford can do the work, but the depot OHLE is still being tested so it has to be put on diesel only restriction until it can be tested at North Pole!  Not an effecient way of doing things, but as so much of the introduction has been a bit of a botch job due to lots of different reasons, perhaps not surprising.

Things will hopefully get a bit more organised as we go into 2019, and GWR (Great Western Railway) and Hitachi will learn to collaborate better, and the niggling faults (which is what they almost all are) will be ironed out.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 13, 2018, 19:43:44 »

Here is the list of current recurring faults on IETs (Intercity Express Train) as quoted by an insider on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum:
................... air conditioning units catching fire, ........................

But they thought of that - by building in an automatic water flood fire suppression system - successfully demonstrated on the first public run (16th Oct last year)  Grin Grin
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: November 13, 2018, 19:55:41 »

I rather hope they don't fit padded seats. I find the IET (Intercity Express Train) seats very comfortable. Supportive, not squishy, plenty wide enough. Some of the best train seats I've sat on, for comfort. But they are filthy already – I don't know if that's down to the colour or fabric, maybe both, but it also applies to the carpets.

Seat covers on the newly accepted trains are now of a much darker colour and have a pattern which also improves the interior look and feel.  Carpets will all need replacing shortly.  Whoever was in charge of those two decisions really should know better, especially given the seat covers are a similar shade to those installed on a HST (High Speed Train) and Turbo, well before the first IET was fitted out and which soon became badly stained as well.

I concur with the comfort of the seats, every time I use one it becomes more comfortable.  The table seats seem much less cramped than on HSTs as well - not sure if anyone has done the measurements to compare?

Whoever decided on the new fabric in 1st obviously had durability over comfort in mind. I noticed when picking an item off the floor that the carpet was considerably softer than the seat fabric. Maybe the two were mixed up and we've got the carpet on the seats. It's the only explanation that makes sense because you wouldn't deliberately pick that fabric to sit on, especially with the hardness of the seats.

The position of the table leg is not great. You can't get out of the seat easily if the aisle seat is 'reclined' the gap is tiny.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 20:02:18 by 1st fan » Logged
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 14, 2018, 09:20:52 »

I've only had two trips on an IET (Intercity Express Train). The first was a brand new unit, and the second had obviously been in service a few months. I was shocked at how badly the seats had stained and degraded. The seats were still rock hard and not at all comfortable for a long journey. This is a definite downgrade on a HST (High Speed Train) where you could sit back and relax. I even prefer a Voyager seat to this - albeit on Crosscountry its difficult to actually find a spare seat....
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 16, 2018, 14:56:20 »

Is this strictly necessary, or is there a risk of getting lost inside?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 16, 2018, 19:28:05 »

I suppose it can help gents 'point' in the right direction.

Although a sign saying the following would be just as helpful:

"We aim to please. Will you aim too, please."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: