Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:23:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543836 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: November 30, 2018, 15:16:28 »

Yes, longer term and it could, and probably will, run DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)), as long as it’s crewed by an LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) driver and not HSS (High Speed Services).  Though the timetable recast might mean it doesn’t continue to run in its current form for too much longer anyway.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
mjones
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: December 14, 2018, 17:34:46 »

Whatever other concerns there may be, the performance of the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) on electric power is impressive. I often catch the 1727 to Bristol from Reading and on many days recently it has arrived at 1722 to 1723. Getting off at Didcot it is often a few minutes early,. despite the switch over to diesel to keep the burghers of Steventon happy.  Looks promising for the future when electrification is complete.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: December 14, 2018, 17:42:43 »

Whatever other concerns there may be, the performance of the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) on electric power is impressive. I often catch the 1727 to Bristol from Reading and on many days recently it has arrived at 1722 to 1723. Getting off at Didcot it is often a few minutes early,. despite the switch over to diesel to keep the burghers of Steventon happy.  Looks promising for the future when electrification is complete.

I concur. It was a pleasure to travel on an IET (Intercity Express Train) this afternoon on electric after Swindon to London. We did slow down around Didcot but other than that it was great to experience a taste of what these new trains can do at speed.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: December 14, 2018, 18:21:00 »

it was great to experience a taste of what these new trains can do at speed

I was on one between Reading and Slough yesterday, and the people I was with (who are not rail geeks of any sort) remarked at how smooth, quiet and fast it was.

They didn't think the seats were too bad either  Wink although it was only a 15 minute journey.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1219 on: December 14, 2018, 18:32:47 »

I was on one between Reading and Slough yesterday, and the people I was with (who are not rail geeks of any sort) remarked at how smooth, quiet and fast it was.

They didn't think the seats were too bad either  Wink although it was only a 15 minute journey.

On one headed electric out of Paddington ... took off like a rocket!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: December 14, 2018, 18:48:03 »

All this praise....

But it doesn't have a buffet!  Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1221 on: December 14, 2018, 19:01:13 »

All this praise....

But it doesn't have a buffet!  Wink

Excellent!  I am headed home for dinner and would be in trouble if tempted by a buffet or restaurant ...  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: December 14, 2018, 19:15:48 »

On one headed electric out of Paddington ... took off like a rocket!

Like a rabbit on speed.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: December 14, 2018, 19:48:45 »

The performance under electric power is indeed welcome, but does not compensate for the regular short formations, the prohibition on buffets, the hard seats, and often the absence of reservations.

Make all the 9 car units into 10 car by adding a full sized hot buffet car.
Make some of the 5 car units into 10 car, as above.
Fit padded seats.
Get the reservation system to work.

And an old cynic like me might forgive the underfloor engines, especially if spreading of electrification means reduced use of those engines.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #1224 on: December 14, 2018, 20:26:19 »

The performance under electric power is indeed welcome, but does not compensate for the regular short formations, the prohibition on buffets, the hard seats, and often the absence of reservations.

Fit padded seats.

And an old cynic like me might forgive the underfloor engines, especially if spreading of electrification means reduced use of those engines.

You might like to add trains with multiple toilets out of action, sometimes the whole train.  Not very comfortable for long journeys.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: December 14, 2018, 23:12:18 »

Ah yes short formations. The train we were due to be on was 5 vice 10 so decided to give it a miss when the decision was made to disclasify the first class in coach D to std and cram the first class passengers into the rear carriage E! It was almost full at Bath so dread to think what it was like as the journey progressed. The next train half an hour later was a 9 car IET (Intercity Express Train). Bar one other person we had the entire rear first class coach to ourselves all the way to London. What a contrast to the train half an hour earlier.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: December 14, 2018, 23:27:20 »

Fit padded seats.

You might like to add trains with multiple toilets out of action, sometimes the whole train.  Not very comfortable for long journeys.

Agree, my list was not intended to be exhaustive, and the lack of working toilets is a serious issue and does not seem to be improving.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: December 15, 2018, 09:53:44 »

Toilet reliability is indeed very poor.  Frustrating as it’s often simply a case of doing one of two simple resets to get them working again, nothing terminal like being full up or out of water, but then they trip out again.  The doors of the UAT toilets are particularly prone to failing and needing a reset. 

A shame as the toilets themselves (particularly the UAT ones) are very nice.  I expect it’s on the long list of niggles for Hitachi to sort out.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: December 21, 2018, 08:57:06 »

Lots of short formations stacking up, 5 instead of 9/10, mainly affecting London to Bristol/Wales services, really poor on what will probably be the busiest Christmas getaway day.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: December 21, 2018, 10:56:19 »

Yesterday I was on 1L36, boarding at KEM with an Advance 1st ticket and seat reservation. A 5-car unit was running the service instead of the usual 9-car. 1st was full and standing and, of course, the seat reservations weren't in place so I perched myself at the end of the carriage and prepared for an uncomfortable and expensive journey to London.

However...

At Swindon, 1L34 from Swansea was just pulling in on platform 3 as we waited at platform 1, and was scheduled to depart first. But I had an Advance ticket, only valid on the advertised service. I found the TM(resolve) just to check. He walked me across to platform 3, found the Swansea TM, cleared it with him and pointed me to a virtually empty first class carriage on the (10-car) 1L34.

Moral of the story - the planning and the operation may be wanting but thank you to the dedicated human beings who work for GWR (Great Western Railway), especially those who take the time to go the extra mile for the passengers. Five gold stars and a peaceful Christmas to you all!

Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: