I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:26:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543943 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: January 13, 2019, 00:46:04 »

UK (United Kingdom) Class 395, Japanese E257, Japanese N700 Shinkansen, TEMU 1000 in Taiwan, Korail NEC» (National Exhibition Centre - about) in Korea... and many more types.

All Hitachi trains. All work.

Then there are countless products in consumer electronics, power tools, heavy plant, data systems, automotive and aeronautical parts and tooling...

Again, all Hitachi. All work.

One Hitachi rail product, heavily specified by HMG, is having (and overcoming) teething troubles and that is excuse enough to dismiss an entire global conglomerate?

Here's hoping HMG can get on with being a functioning government again once the Brexit brouhaha is done with, sit down with Hitachi and get the Wylfa project back on track. We certainly need the MWe of nuclear to keep the lights on in the not too distant future.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: January 13, 2019, 11:29:21 »

Indeed, there is more to Hitachi than IETs (Intercity Express Train) and a nuclear power plant at Wylfa.
However two failures tend to be much better remembered than a dozen successes.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: January 13, 2019, 11:44:23 »

Improvement in seat comfort ? Who's he kidding ?

Can anyone remember the original seats fitted to the HST (High Speed Train)'S seem to remember they were orangy brown, and the smoking compartments had ashtrays in the ends of the arms.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: January 13, 2019, 11:45:25 »

Indeed, there is more to Hitachi than IETs (Intercity Express Train) and a nuclear power plant at Wylfa.
However two failures tend to be much better remembered than a dozen successes.

I'm still interested to hear who has suggested that the power plant should not be built because of problems with IETs?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: January 13, 2019, 12:18:23 »

Two local political figures whom I met at a social event are very critical of the IETs (Intercity Express Train), in particular the absence of buffets and the number of short formations.

These politicians are not in my view well informed on railway matters, they simply observe that the new trains are "often shorter than the old ones" and "never have a buffet" and often "not even a trolley"
Both have experienced repeated standing room only trips on the new shorter trains.
Both have had many letters from local voters demanding action about the trains.

So far as I know, neither of these politicians have any direct influence regarding the proposed nuclear power plant. However both expressed the view that the new trains are a failure and that if "Hitachi cant run full length trains, who wants to trust them with a nuke"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: January 13, 2019, 12:25:37 »

Oh, I see - sorry I assumed it was somebody officially going on record rather than anecdotes from a chat.  Their 'quote' appears to have changed from "Hitachi can't even build a train that works..." to "Hitachi can't run full length trains..." - did they say both, neither, or are you just paraphrasing them?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: January 13, 2019, 12:27:38 »

Improvement in seat comfort ? Who's he kidding ?

Can anyone remember the original seats fitted to the HST (High Speed Train)'S seem to remember they were orangy brown, and the smoking compartments had ashtrays in the ends of the arms.
Yes. Orange first class, a lightish blue in what was still second class, which stained badly (officially I think these were tangerine and teal). A highly uncomfortable seat arising mainly from the fixed hard armrests.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: January 13, 2019, 13:59:01 »

Oh, I see - sorry I assumed it was somebody officially going on record rather than anecdotes from a chat.  Their 'quote' appears to have changed from "Hitachi can't even build a train that works..." to "Hitachi can't run full length trains..." - did they say both, neither, or are you just paraphrasing them?

Numerous remarks were made, all critical of short formations, cancellations, no reservations, not enough toilets, and no buffet.
these remarks included;

"trains that don't work"
"half length trains"
"new shorter trains"
And many other slightly differing ways of expressing dissatisfaction about the new Hitachi trains, and consequent doubts about the wisdom of purchasing nuclear reactors from the same vendor.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: January 13, 2019, 14:31:03 »

Let’s hope they can use whatever influence they have as ‘political figures’ to put pressure on Hitachi/GWR (Great Western Railway) to reduce short formations (which have greatly reduced anyway thankfully).  It’s also been months since I observed a 10-car with half locked out of use.

The reservation system and toilet availability is improving quickly in my observations, though still some way to go.  Overall reliability also seems to be improving, significant niggles still remain, especially concerning coupling.  Trolley availability is also improving - can’t remember the last trip I did without the advertised catering.

I didn’t realise the new trains didn’t have a buffet.  Wink

didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: January 13, 2019, 16:30:14 »

Report on my last IET (Intercity Express Train) journey a couple of days ago:

Seat availability: ✔  although this particular service formally was generally either a 2 or 3 carriage 165, so plenty on a 9 carriage IET.
Reservations: ❌ none displayed (electronic or paper). No real issue, considering the above, but ought to be better by now.
Stains / cleanliness: ✔ no issues observed in immediate area
Punctuality: ✔ arrived 2 minutes early for start of journey, 1 minute early at destination
Trolley: ✔ passed by 2 minutes after sitting down
Toilet: - (not tested!)

Reginald25
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 16, 2019, 19:39:56 »

Bit of a general mix here. Today I travelled to Paddington from Swindon (actually started at MKM» (Melksham (Station code) - next trains)) and back. First time I've been on an IET (Intercity Express Train) to London from SWI» (Swindon - next trains) since electrification has been extended there. A number of issues interested me, as a general traveller rather than an expert railway observer
  • Surprised at the number of trains which had their panto-graphs down when presumably there was power available?
  • Surprised that, on returning in the afternoon, the train had no reservations in place,  said to be the result of late arrival of the stock. How long does it take to download the reservation data to the electronic displays?
  • For some time (I think years) the automated gate-lines at SWI refuse to accept off-peak tickets until very close to the first off-peak train at 9:12. The operator always lets such ticket holders through, but that defeats the object of an automated gate.
  • The lack of corridor connection throughout a 10 car train has many disadvantages (and probably many operational advantages as well). But it results in either the Standard class or the First class seats (or both) being being split into two sections. Do you wait at the front or the rear?
Having listed a few negatives, I would commend the friendly train manager, especially his announcements - friendly, not overplayed, informative - especially when an automated system gave completely the wrong information.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 17, 2019, 00:19:11 »

• Surprised at the number of trains which had their panto-graphs down when presumably there was power available?
I was surprised too, last week when I went to Reading. Both inward and outward, two of the three IETs (Intercity Express Train) I could see well enough to say were dieselling. But I understood that Stoke Gifford depot now has 25kV on its OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE"), and the lack of this for sign-off tests had been the main reason for IETs not running in electric mode.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: January 17, 2019, 09:44:51 »

According to reports elsewhere there have been a number of pantograph 'interface' issues resulting in the trains being restricted to diesel mode only.  Oh well at least Grayling can claim to have kept the train service going...... Tongue
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: January 17, 2019, 11:12:01 »

The list of diesel only restricted units has been pretty short recently, usually numbering somewhere between five and ten (from a current fleet total of seventy odd).  I would suggest those observations were not typical of the actual percentage of trains running on diesel.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: January 17, 2019, 14:42:51 »

According to various reports, the proposed/promised/planned new Hitachi nuclear power station at Wylfa is likely to be cancelled due to concerns about escalating costs and growing delays.

Whilst this appears of little relevance to the IET (Intercity Express Train) problems, it has been suggested that if "Hitachi cant even build a train that works, whom would trust them with a nuke ?"

Is the Hitachi brand becoming toxic?

Work on the new nuclear power plant has now stopped.
Details from news media of your choice.
Some reports refer to "work being suspended" whilst others call it "cancellation"

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: