17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:58:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 542625 times)
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: April 21, 2019, 19:23:37 »

Okay the blinds are seriously useless. They need to be opaque and/or a darker/black colour because i'm being driven mad. I realise they're never going to cover the full height of the window thanks to the dumb design. However they have to do something to fix this.

Also there is no customer host in 1st class which is very annoying as I'd kill for a drink right now. I do like the announcement as you approach Paddington:

"On behalf of the onboard crew......." What onboard crew? Haven't seen a soul in a GWR (Great Western Railway) uniform since boarding.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 20:06:07 by 1st fan » Logged
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: April 21, 2019, 19:44:11 »

A 1st Class Host on a Sunday? And Easter Sunday at that. You wouldn't have had one on a HST (High Speed Train) either.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1547 on: April 21, 2019, 19:55:23 »

A 1st Class Host on a Sunday? And Easter Sunday at that. You wouldn't have had one on a HST (High Speed Train) either.

But I think you could have walked to the buffet, rather than had to search the whole train for "complementary" coffee?

I confess to rarely using the buffet when one was available - as a single traveller often with heavy luggage of some value, travelling in crowded trains that make intermediate stops (risks - loss of seat, loss of luggage) it really didn't feel safe to me, and I prefer the trolley.  For a family trip over a long distance - King's Cross to Edinburgh or Euston to Motherwell (no - wait - family ... to Glasgow!) they made / make sense for me.    However - for first class weekend nibbles a buffet work(s/ed) and a 9 car shared trolley really doesn't.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: April 21, 2019, 20:11:07 »

As overheard at Paddington this evening from a couple of ladies:

"You shouldn't have to bring a cushion to sit comfortably on a train"

Well, most airport shops sell travel pillows for necks. Perhaps we'll start seeing station shops selling small cushions to sit on when travelling on IETs (Intercity Express Train) or Thameslink trains.  Grin
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: April 21, 2019, 20:31:53 »

But I think you could have walked to the buffet, rather than had to search the whole train for "complementary" coffee?

I confess to rarely using the buffet when one was available - as a single traveller often with heavy luggage of some value, travelling in crowded trains that make intermediate stops (risks - loss of seat, loss of luggage) it really didn't feel safe to me, and I prefer the trolley.  For a family trip over a long distance - King's Cross to Edinburgh or Euston to Motherwell (no - wait - family ... to Glasgow!) they made / make sense for me.    However - for first class weekend nibbles a buffet work(s/ed) and a 9 car shared trolley really doesn't.

Yes I would normally have expected to go to the mini/micro/full sized buffet on an HST on a weekend and frequently did so. There was a host on Saturday night and there have been on some Sundays in the past. This isn't the first time this has happened and on non long bank holiday weekends too. The first time there wasn't anyone I spoke to the bloke manning the standard trolley when we got to Paddington. He said he didn't carry any 1st class food/drinks and due to 'slight' overcrowding had been stuck in the vestibule of one carriage.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 21, 2019, 20:36:43 »

As overheard at Paddington this evening from a couple of ladies:

"You shouldn't have to bring a cushion to sit comfortably on a train"

Well, most airport shops sell travel pillows for necks. Perhaps we'll start seeing station shops selling small cushions to sit on when travelling on IETs (Intercity Express Train) or Thameslink trains.  Grin
GWR (Great Western Railway) should sell them from the buffet trolley they're missing a source of revenue.  Grin
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 20:53:15 by 1st fan » Logged
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 21, 2019, 21:01:08 »

Yes but the buffet was always open as grahame points out.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: April 21, 2019, 22:46:38 »

Yes but the buffet was always open as grahame points out.

Yes, and could supply first class freebies on production of a first class ticket at the counter.
Another facility lost with the downgrade from proper inter-city trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1553 on: April 22, 2019, 09:02:03 »

Did the 07.30 Pad - Pz throughout yesterday (Sat 13th April), the trolley didn't turn up until Swindon due to a stock take? Regarding the 'stock', it had no sandwiches only crisps and biscuits and tea/coffee. Fortunately another trolley turned up just after Plymouth (by which time I was about to eat the table) and did have sandwiches (and tea and coffee until the boiler packed up) however I'd been on the service for nearly four hours by then and would have liked to have witnessed this (sandwiches etc) much earlier.
An HST (High Speed Train) from PZ to Paddington last week with a buffet car.  Well used by our family & other travellers.
An IET (Intercity Express Train) return Paddington to Pz a few days ago. Full and standing (we boarded early thanks to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website)). We walked to the very front of the train and as we sat down, reservation cards were being placed.  Luckily our table wasn't reserved.
Shortly before departure the TM(resolve) announced the reservation system wasn't working and apologised. The trolley guy announced an apology and said he couldn't get through the train with overcrowding so there would be no service.
I did hear quite a few complaints from fellow passengers regarding no buffet or trolley service.
We didn't see the (any) TM until departure from Plymouth. The trolley appeared at Redruth with many apologies.
I'm with broadgage.
A big loss of trade on the return leg by not having a buffet.  A trolley would have done well, despite instant coffee and limited snacks, etc IF it could have moved throughout the train.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: April 22, 2019, 09:49:01 »

Overcrowding, or a long list of other dubious excuses, seem to regularly used by the lazier Customer Hosts (that’s a minority - many are excellent) for setting up a ‘static trolley’ which is one of the stupidest descriptions you could think up and liable to ridicule anyway.

On the busiest of trains passengers can’t get through to the buffet either of course, but was it really so busy it was the depths of Cornwall before it could sensibly get through, or at least get to a point where some sort of service could be provided? After all, storage facilities, and urn heating are available midway through each train to enable some sort of a catering facility to be established.

It’s time management got a grip on this as, if done well, a trolley service is ideal for many routes and services that GWR (Great Western Railway) operate (though not IMHO (in my humble opinion) for journeys over 3 hours like London to Cornwall), but at the moment they are just playing into the hands of the ‘keep the buffet’ advocates, by often providing the worst of both worlds.

The ‘hot food’ trial seems to have come to an end with management claiming they stood to lose £40000 per period IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), however I am going to put on Broadgage’s cynical hat and say it was poorly advertised, patchily provided and almost certainly  designed to give an excuse to take the easy option and just provide the basic trolley service on all trains.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: April 22, 2019, 10:01:57 »

The ‘hot food’ trial seems to have come to an end with management claiming they stood to lose £40000 per period IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), however I am going to put on Broadgage’s cynical hat and say it was poorly advertised, patchily provided and almost certainly  designed to give an excuse to take the easy option and just provide the basic trolley service on all trains.

Just like the 'consultation' about the buffet.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 22, 2019, 10:34:36 »

If passengers travelling in first class at weekends complained about the lack of free items and claimed compensation something might be done about it.  In my opinion two trolleys should be provided on a 9 coach train

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: April 22, 2019, 12:06:59 »

If passengers travelling in first class at weekends complained about the lack of free items and claimed compensation something might be done about it.  In my opinion two trolleys should be provided on a 9 coach train

AFAIK (as far as I know) there is no obligation to supply any freebies to first class. All "subject to availability" which means not reliably available on the downgraded trains.
ISTR (I seem to recall/remember) two trolleys being promised on full length trains, that seems to have become a future aspiration.
The hot food has already gone from a promise, to a future aspiration, to a trial, and finally to "no hot food" which no doubt was the plan in the first place.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 22, 2019, 12:17:30 »

To be fair the kitchens on IET (Intercity Express Train)’s are usually stocked with plenty of first class freebies, having much more space for such items than a HST (High Speed Train) buffet car ever did.  Plenty of space for refrigerated items, such as the complimentary items as well.

There just doesn’t seem to be any management impetus to do anything but the bare minimum, and that will soon filter down to the staff as well.

There’s still time to change that though - a launch of an improved service with the new timetable in December for example, but I am starting to think it won’t happen.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 22, 2019, 12:26:58 »

By December, the hope is no doubt that everyone will have forgotten about buffets, and nearly forgotten about the greatly improved trolley services that were promised.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: