I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:11:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543916 times)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1650 on: May 24, 2019, 09:24:10 »

I would not be surprised if seat reservations were discontinued on Cardiff Portsmouth services with the change to total turbo operation.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1651 on: May 24, 2019, 09:35:46 »

I would not be surprised if seat reservations were discontinued on Cardiff Portsmouth services with the change to total turbo operation.

The stated plan is to have reservations in carriages A through C - which are being duly marked. The 2 car units with the luggage capacity are being designated D and E and not offered for reservation!!!

It would not surprise me either to see this not work very well to the extent it's withdrawn.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: May 27, 2019, 18:41:30 »

Is this a record? I travelled on the 0839 from Truro to Penzance today on a 9 car 802 and the friendly conductor said I was the only passenger and could sit anywhere!! Spoilt for choice so had a window seat with a window too. There was a fully loaded trolley service and the passenger load increased by 100% at Redruth. I thought the reservation system would be all green Leds to brighten up the interior but out of service.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1653 on: May 27, 2019, 19:30:50 »

Is this a record?

No - but perhaps a perfect storm?   An early train on a Bank Holiday - who wants to leave Plymouth at 07:01 on a day off?    Against the main flow to work, I think?   And just 20 minutes after the sleeper (08:29 not 08:39?)

You have to look at the complete diagram / round trip - and on a typical day - to get a realistic insight.  There are surprising number of sparse trains around, but they just don't get reported like the busy ones do because ... there aren't the passengers there to report!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: May 28, 2019, 14:27:16 »

As has been explained before, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)’s obsession with the number of seats on the train, combined with not wanting to budge on legroom promises led to these four seats per carriage.  On all carriages I would replace them at one end with another luggage rack.  At the other end, on two of the carriages I would remove that row of seats and the next row in front.  I would then change the direction of the third row so they face the other way towards the gap created and then you have a proper buggy space that’s not in the quiet carriage .  Two tip-up seats could in theory be fitted for when no buggies are present, but make it clear buggies have priority.  Cost would be minimal for a much improved interior with only a few seats lost.

Just done my sums on this for a 5-car.  You could add a standard class wheelchair space (there are currently none) and add two buggy spaces, along with three extra luggage stacks, for a total loss of 18 seats, though 4-6 tip up seats could be fitted for a net loss of just 12-14 seats. 

Coach A - 1 standard wheelchair space with loss of 4 seats.
Coach B - 1 additional luggage stack and 1 buggy space with loss of 6 seats (2 or 3 tip up seats instead could be added).
Coach C - 1 additional luggage stack and 1 buggy space with loss of 6 seats (2 or 3 tip up seats instead could be added).
Coach D - 1 additional luggage stack with loss of 2 seats.
Coach E - Unaltered, though you could potentially remove one wheelchair space and you could gain 1 extra first class seat and one luggage stack.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 28, 2019, 15:10:41 »

Is this a record?

No - but perhaps a perfect storm?   An early train on a Bank Holiday - who wants to leave Plymouth at 07:01 on a day off?    Against the main flow to work, I think?   And just 20 minutes after the sleeper (08:29 not 08:39?)

You have to look at the complete diagram / round trip - and on a typical day - to get a realistic insight.  There are surprising number of sparse trains around, but they just don't get reported like the busy ones do because ... there aren't the passengers there to report!

Might also be because the train was left out of the journey planners in error and so was added as an additional service yesterday morning on JourneyCheck.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 28, 2019, 15:36:21 »

As has been explained before, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)’s obsession with the number of seats on the train, combined with not wanting to budge on legroom promises led to these four seats per carriage.  On all carriages I would replace them at one end with another luggage rack.  At the other end, on two of the carriages I would remove that row of seats and the next row in front.  I would then change the direction of the third row so they face the other way towards the gap created and then you have a proper buggy space that’s not in the quiet carriage .  Two tip-up seats could in theory be fitted for when no buggies are present, but make it clear buggies have priority.  Cost would be minimal for a much improved interior with only a few seats lost.

Just done my sums on this for a 5-car.  You could add a standard class wheelchair space (there are currently none) and add two buggy spaces, along with three extra luggage stacks, for a total loss of 18 seats, though 4-6 tip up seats could be fitted for a net loss of just 12-14 seats. 

Coach B - 1 additional luggage stack and 1 buggy space with loss of 6 seats (2 or 3 tip up seats instead could be added).
Coach C - 1 additional luggage stack and 1 buggy space with loss of 6 seats (2 or 3 tip up seats instead could be added).
Coach E - Unaltered, though you could potentially remove one wheelchair space and you could gain 1 extra first class seat and one luggage stack.

Sounds sensible to me.
The lack of a standard class wheelchair space is IMHO (in my humble opinion) a significant failing of the present design.
Whilst it is probably non PC to say this, the present free upgrade to first class for a wheelchair user AND ENTOURAGE may soon become an expectation.
It would be reasonable to provide this only in standard, with first class disabled passengers being offered a refund.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1657 on: May 28, 2019, 16:09:36 »

Might also be because the train was left out of the journey planners in error and so was added as an additional service yesterday morning on JourneyCheck.

Ah - so perhaps that also explains why it was shown twice on Real Time Trains in what looked to be the same timings ... with one copy cancelled!

Yeah ... if you remove a train from the advertised timetables, shouldn't be surprised if it's a bit quiet!

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 28, 2019, 16:12:33 »

Now, now II.  You missed out the surfboard space....... Roll Eyes
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 28, 2019, 17:04:03 »

Whilst it is probably non PC to say this, the present free upgrade to first class for a wheelchair user AND ENTOURAGE may soon become an expectation.
It would be reasonable to provide this only in standard, with first class disabled passengers being offered a refund.

I think two spaces per 5-car train, one in Standard and one in First would be the best compromise, of course that would be four in a 10-car formation, two of each, so the same as the 9-car trains.  No need for upgrades or refunds - unless in the unlikely event more than one wheelchair bound passenger wants the same class of travel as the other on a 5-car train.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
initiation

View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 28, 2019, 18:33:34 »

Another day, another 5+5 IET (Intercity Express Train) down to just 5 due to staff issues meaning the rear is locked out. Also no catering.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 28, 2019, 21:49:53 »

You could add a standard class wheelchair space (there are currently none) and add two buggy spaces, along with three extra luggage stacks, for a total loss of 18 seats, though 4-6 tip up seats could be fitted for a net loss of just 12-14 seats. 

It surprises (no - mildly annoys) me that tip-up seats are not routinely provided in wheelchair spaces. It's particularly bad in the Turbo coaches where there are two large empty spaces where the wheelchairs go (in 166s formerly occupied by 4 across seating with tables - pick of the standard class seats) that are crying out for temporary seats when not in use. ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)'s (or whoever's) obsession with seat numbers seems to go AWOL (Absent Without Leave) when there are some simple steps that could provide many passengers a few extra seats at busy times. At least the Electrostars get it right - anyone know what they'll do on 769s?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: May 31, 2019, 11:51:30 »

Interesting point made by a GWR (Great Western Railway) manager:

First Virgin Trains Pendolino entered service 23rd July 2002.  Time taken to remove last loco hauled service to complete the fleet renewal was 4 years, 4 months and 29 days (not including the Pretendolino set).

First GWR IET (Intercity Express Train) entered service on 16th October 2017.  Last HST (High Speed Train) ran 1 year 7 months and 2 days later.

Interesting comparison. Though is it a fair one?

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 31, 2019, 12:27:02 »

IMHO (in my humble opinion), the real issue is NOT the speed or otherwise with which IETs (Intercity Express Train) replaced HSTs (High Speed Train).
The issue is the degree of downgrading in facilities.

Whether the downgrade is spread over 18 months or over 4 years, the new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) are generally considered to be a backward step if compared to proper inter-city trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: May 31, 2019, 13:30:10 »

Another short form today. This one requiring police attendance.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/police-called-overcrowded-delayed-london-2927994

Totally unacceptable GWR (Great Western Railway).

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: