Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:11:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543747 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: June 08, 2019, 16:37:02 »

There needs to be some 5-car trains in the fleet.  Otherwise you wouldn’t be getting your hourly trains to Gloucester, and double the number of trains to Bristol.  Many other services such as off-peak North Cotswold Line trains and the Bedwyn services would need to be something else.  Back to Turbos?  Thankfully not!

Whether the balance is right between 5 and 9 cars is open to debate.  I would like to have seen a few more 9-cars, say 40-45 rather than the 35 there are.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 08, 2019, 17:24:02 »

I have no issues with five car trains for new services such as you have mentioned above II, just replacing existing IC (Inter City) services with 10 car trains that too often are ending up as five car trains for one reason or another leading to severe overcrowding.

By some accounts splitting services at Plymouth to go to Penzance that five car trains are not enough. Perhaps with the increase in local services between Plymouth and Penzance that this may help. However, most travelling to/from London are still going to want to travel on a through service rather than change at Plymouth.

I hope we will in time see less and less of this occurring but have yet to be convinced. It’s brand damaging for travelling by train when a train turns up half length and you either can’t get on or in the case of some travelling to/from the SW having to stand for 4 hours plus with no hope of either a visit to the toilet or the appearance of a trolley because the train is so full.

I agree that it would have been better to have had more 9 car sets built but as always Dft know best.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #1727 on: June 08, 2019, 17:57:21 »

I can see some of the 2x5 cars being replaced by 9 cars be taking out the two middle driving units and replacing it with a carriage with a buffet while Hitachi are still producing them for the Azumas (Brand name for Class 80x trains on LNER)
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 08, 2019, 20:01:27 »

What do I find to be the most telling aspect of these 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) ?   ...................... I was a regular traveller between Chippenham & Paddington when the Class 180s were being introduced into service - all the problems the 5 car IETs are exhibiting were clearly signposted by the 180s. Except perhaps that the 180s did seem to be slightly more mechanically reliable than the IETs !
Definition of Lunacy:- doing exactly the same thing and expecting a different outcome ...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: June 08, 2019, 20:14:17 »

180s more reliable than IETs (Intercity Express Train)?!?  Certainly not from my recollection and I see one caught fire just the other day.   Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 08, 2019, 20:36:13 »

FGW (First Great Western), as was, couldn't wait to be rid of the Class 180s. Demoted from GWML (Great Western Main Line) services to the Cotswolds as soon as FGW picked up HSTs (High Speed Train) from elsewhere.

They've been nothing but trouble for Hull Trains who have had to resort to hiring in HSTs to run their advertised services. Things got so bad at one point last October that Hull Trains had to cancel all their advertised services, as all their Class 180s were poorly. Despite the Class 180s being less than 20 years old Hull Trains are getting rid and replacing them with Class 802s. That suggests that they are happy with the Hitachi product.

Things are a little better over at Grand Central. They're only keeping their show on the road with sufficient spare capacity. They have 10 Class 180s. Their timetable requires 7 sets daily. Despite having 3 spares they've still had availability issues.

It should be remembered that GWR (Great Western Railway) were the launch customer for Hitachi's Class 80x. Being perfect out of the box was a big ask. It's GWR and its passengers who've been the guinea pigs. As they were for the HSTs and Class 180s. HSTs went on to be ordered for other lines. Class 80x will be running with four different train operators before long. I predict others will be ordering them too. That shows, I believe, that the industry has faith in the Hitachi product. It's telling that no other operator ordered Class 180s. They looked at the issues FGW had (far worse than any of the IET (Intercity Express Train) teething problems) with Adelantes and steered well clear.

I can't agree that Class 180s are better or more reliable than Class 80x

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: June 08, 2019, 20:52:53 »

I have previously compared IETs (Intercity Express Train) to both Voyagers, and to Adelantes neither of which have been a great success.
Advocates of IETs, whilst perhaps admitting that voyagers and similar units have been a failure, stated that it would be different this time !

It seems safe to say that IETs are voyager like in length, facilities and general quality. Though Voyagers do at least have a buffet shop.

Have lessons been learnt ? not likely, lets order a load more 5 car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) for inter-city routes.

Catering, we have by degrees moved  from
"of course the new units will have a buffet"  (even after published drawing showed no buffet)
"they could have a buffet"
"no one wants a buffet"
"a much improved trolley service will be available"
"the improved trolley service might start when all the fleet is in service"
"hot food is coming when more of the new DMUs are in service"
"no hot food, a trial showed lack of demand"

On train length, we have moved by degrees from
"the new fleet is much larger in number of vehicles, no question of short formations"
"all trains that need to be, will be full length"
"some short formations are unavoidable due to (presumably unforeseen) staff training"
"it will get better when more new units are delivered"
"it will be better when the new timetable starts"
"short formations are actually a great step forward because otherwise we would have had no train"
"better get used to it"

This is called progress.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 08, 2019, 20:58:15 »

I can't agree that Class 180s are better or more reliable than Class 80x

Indeed.  You don’t achieve 95% punctuality and 99.8% reliability with a fleet that’s inherently unreliable.

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1733 on: June 09, 2019, 09:04:36 »

Whilst waiting for my train from Taunton to Penzance yesterday afternoon, heard the interesting platform announcement just before the train rolled in.
"The next train is the xxx Paddington to Penzance, calling at ... This train will divide at Plymouth.  Travel in the rear portion for Tiverton P (etc, etc with stations named to Plymouth).  Passengers for stations (all named Cornish ones) travel in the front section.  This train has 9 coaches."
It didn't divide, but interestingly had an eight minute scheduled wait at Plymouth.

Didn't see any train manager on the return trip but saw the trolley three times.
On the up trip saw the train manager several times and the trolley twice.  First trolley had no warm food or sandwiches on offer, as nothing was left for him to serve. Following a changeover at Newton Abbot, warm food and sandwiches were available.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: June 09, 2019, 13:49:57 »

There needs to be some 5-car trains in the fleet.  Otherwise you wouldn’t be getting your hourly trains to Gloucester, and double the number of trains to Bristol.  Many other services such as off-peak North Cotswold Line trains and the Bedwyn services would need to be something else.  Back to Turbos?  Thankfully not!

Whether the balance is right between 5 and 9 cars is open to debate.  I would like to have seen a few more 9-cars, say 40-45 rather than the 35 there are.

I agree that a limited number of half trains are appropriate for secondary routes and for services not previously operated by HSTs (High Speed Train).
However I feel that most services previously worked by HSTs should be full length IETs (Intercity Express Train).
A 5 car IET IS an improvement over a Turbo.
A 5 car IET is NOT an improvement on an HST. A 5+5 IET has more seats than an HST but is a downgrade in all other respects.

At the beginning of this whole sorry saga, it was implied or suggested that Cornish services would be worked by 9 car IETs, yet now we are told that this wont happen because the depot at Penzance cant take a 9 car IET.
How is that for progress !

What about the suggestion that the follow on order for 9 car sets "could" be to a better specification and "might" include a buffet for use on Cornish services. I do not recall anyone then saying that the depot could not accept full length trains.
So either there was deliberate deception in implying that full length trains would be used to Cornwall, or no one had bothered to measure the depot.
Which was it ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1735 on: June 09, 2019, 14:43:57 »

A 5+5 IET (Intercity Express Train) has more seats than an HST (High Speed Train) but is a downgrade in all other respects.

Oh come, come ...
* an IET runs a lot of the way on electricity which, more and more, is generated sustainably
* IET running schedules, when the timetable is revamped, will be noticeably faster
* Station dwell times, especially at stations unmanned when a train calls, are significantly reduced
* There is no danger to passenger from sticking their head out of windows
* There is no Victorian dumping of human waste on the track
... I would have thought that the first of these, especially, would be really important to you!

Mind - replacing class 43 with class 93 (the "Unicorn" class - fast bimode power cars) and modernising the HST carriages like Cross Country are doing on their sets might have dealt with HST issues highlighted above.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: June 09, 2019, 16:14:12 »

A 5+5 IET (Intercity Express Train) has more seats than an HST (High Speed Train) but is a downgrade in all other respects.

Oh come, come ...
* an IET runs a lot of the way on electricity which, more and more, is generated sustainably
* IET running schedules, when the timetable is revamped, will be noticeably faster
* Station dwell times, especially at stations unmanned when a train calls, are significantly reduced
* There is no danger to passenger from sticking their head out of windows
* There is no Victorian dumping of human waste on the track
... I would have thought that the first of these, especially, would be really important to you!

Mind - replacing class 43 with class 93 (the "Unicorn" class - fast bimode power cars) and modernising the HST carriages like Cross Country are doing on their sets might have dealt with HST issues highlighted above.

I was referring to passenger comfort and facilities.
The use of electricity for part of the mileage is indeed a step forward as regards climate change, but not of direct benefit to those on board. The underfloor engines are used for most of the journey to Cornwall and are a disbenefit if compared to a proper train with a locomotive or power car at the end.
IET times should indeed show an improvement, but this has not yet been realised.
Retention toilets are better for track workers, and for passengers waiting at platforms. But for those on board are arguably a backward step as more to go wrong and therefore often out of use.

I am not opposed to the PRINCIPLE of bi mode operation, and have only relatively minor objections to the mechanical design and specification of the IETs.
We cant live in the past forever, and I would be more accepting of the new units if they had a proper inter-city internal fit out.

Just add a buffet, padded seats, more tables, reliable toilets, a working reservation system, and make the majority of the fleet full length and gangwayed throughout, and I (and I suspect many others) would regard them as acceptable.
I would forget, or at least forgive, the underfloor engines provided that the train was otherwise of proper inter-city specification.

Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: June 09, 2019, 21:13:20 »

180s more reliable than IETs (Intercity Express Train)?!?  Certainly not from my recollection and I see one caught fire just the other day.   Wink

Well - in my recollection there didn't seem to be that many 10 car 180s appearing as a 5 car 180 ?  That seems to be well up the list of complaints about the IETs.  Perhaps the 180s  were so unreliable that GWR (Great Western Railway) had a good stock of spares ..    Wink
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: June 09, 2019, 21:21:07 »

Well - in my recollection there didn't seem to be that many 10 car 180s appearing as a 5 car 180 ?  That seems to be well up the list of complaints about the IETs.  Perhaps the 180s  were so unreliable that GWR (Great Western Railway) had a good stock of spares ..    Wink

Sometime around 2005-2006 my regular train from TWY (Twyford station) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was scheduled to be a 10-car 180 (I think it started from OXF» (Oxford - next trains)) and most of the time it was that length. However about once or twice a month there'd be an announcement that it was only 5 cars and consequently it wouldn't be calling at TWY as it was too full. When that happened, sometimes the following HST (High Speed Train) would make an additional stop but more often we'd have to take the next stopper to PAD.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 10, 2019, 09:35:14 »

...A 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train) IS an improvement over a Turbo...

I think passengers on the 06.53/07.01 Twyford/Maidenhead to Paddington would disagree on that one.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: