Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:53:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 544060 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: July 09, 2019, 20:39:56 »

The two remaining sets to enter traffic can’t come soon enough!  The diesel only list had shrunk to just three yesterday mind you.

Hopefully that will help, but talk about jam tomorrow !
Why were a couple or more HSTs (High Speed Train) not retained until all the IETs (Intercity Express Train) were working ? (they could have locked the buffets out of use to manage expectations re the new trains)

As many members will recall I forecast regular short formations, basing this not on any detailed analysis but simply on experience of other new trains.
Networkers replaced slam door EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) in South East London, old trains 8 car, new trains mixed 4 car and 6 car formations.
Class 159s replaced loco hauled trains Waterloo/Exeter. Old trains 8 car, new trains 3 car.
Voyagers replaced HSTs and loco hauled trains. Old trains 7 or 8 car, new trains 4 or 5 car.

Experts assured me that this time would be different, and better.

And look what has happened ! just like previous new rolling stock, shorter if not permanently at least for the first couple of years.
I have recently met on a social basis, a couple of local political figures both of whom have expressed very negative views about the new trains.
They have previously expressed such views, contacted GWR (Great Western Railway) and received the standard re-assurances that it would soon get better.
One politician in particular expressed great concerns for the damage done to the west country tourist industry by the well reported cases of people standing for hours on the new shorter trains. "It was bad last summer and has got worse this summer"

Such "nasty, short, uncomfortable trains" will not encourage holidays in the UK (United Kingdom). After two summers of poor service, how many holidaymakers will risk a third attempt ? Better to fly abroad.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 09, 2019, 20:43:28 »

Another good question for Mark Hopwood to answer when he does his live chat on here, Broadgage?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1892 on: July 09, 2019, 20:51:47 »

Another good question for Mark Hopwood to answer when he does his live chat on here, Broadgage?

I do hope the questions are being forwarded to Chris from Nailsea

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: July 09, 2019, 23:13:15 »

From Twitter
Scenes tonight at Hitachi Rail's North Pole depot in Acton, west London tonight as ISS Cleaners for @GWRHelp hi-speed trains take strike action over threat to impose 61 days additional shifts per year for no extra pay.
Photos at
https://twitter.com/alexgordon4me/status/1148699974252879872?s=21
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1894 on: July 10, 2019, 00:53:36 »

Yes they are, thank you - I'm already dealing with a tsunami effect in my personal messages!  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Obviously we will need to distil all of those questions down into six topics which even Mark Hopwood can reasonably be expected to deal with, in our one hour session.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: July 10, 2019, 01:50:56 »

Yes they are, thank you - I'm already dealing with a tsunami effect in my personal messages!  Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Obviously we will need to distil all of those questions down into six topics which even Mark Hopwood can reasonably be expected to deal with, in our one hour session.  Wink

When distilling the numerous questions down to a relatively small number of topics, I would respectfully urge an EXCEEDINGLY careful choice of words so as to minimise the amount of "wiggle room" whereby Mr Hopwood could make a carefully worded reply that evades the actual question.

Example a complaint about regular short formed IETs (Intercity Express Train) could be answered by a standard reply along the lines of "we are actively working with our industry partners and suppliers to reduce the number of short formations" Which does not really say anything.
A better wording might be "why are HSTs (High Speed Train) not being hired or chartered to cover for non availability of IETs ? numerous HSTs are stored at ABC and at XYZ, and the owners of these assets would no doubt wish to achieve an income from them."

And as regards catering, any vague or general complaint about the trolley service, would be easily answered by a standard reply like "we are actively seeking to recruit and train more customer hosts to improve the service"
A better question might be "why have you routinely failed to provide the advertised service, as promised by Ben Rule. GWR (Great Western Railway) have had years to recruit and train the staff for this "
Or perhaps "as trolley catering has been a failure (list the failings thereof) are you going to bring back a proper buffet"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1896 on: July 10, 2019, 02:09:54 »

Whoah, broadgage!  I'm dealing with it!  Roll Eyes Wink Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 10, 2019, 02:13:11 »

Whoah, broadgage!  I'm dealing with it!  Roll Eyes Wink Grin

Good, many thanks for your efforts over this.

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: July 10, 2019, 05:49:36 »

The two remaining sets to enter traffic can’t come soon enough!  The diesel only list had shrunk to just three yesterday mind you.

Hopefully that will help, but talk about jam tomorrow !
Why were a couple or more HSTs (High Speed Train) not retained until all the IETs (Intercity Express Train) were working ? (they could have locked the buffets out of use to manage expectations re the new trains)

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) said no to retaining a couple of HSTs. 
Changing the seats on the 800’s, the DfT said no, weren’t even allowed buffets on the 802’s.
You can see why private companies are walking away from rail franchises. If you were First, you’d walk away from the franchise owing to the mess created by the DfT.  Its down to the First Group that the situation isn’t worse, for instance the 2+4 sets where a GWR (Great Western Railway) idea to cover the chronic shortage of units owing to the botched electrification and units being promised to other TOCs (Train Operating Company).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:58:45 by a-driver » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 10, 2019, 06:31:36 »

Why have a go at Mark Hopwood/GWR (Great Western Railway) regarding IETs (Intercity Express Train)?
It’s Dft you should be aiming your fire at. These trains are their brainchild.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1900 on: July 10, 2019, 07:15:14 »

Why have a go at Mark Hopwood/GWR (Great Western Railway) regarding IETs (Intercity Express Train)?
It’s Dft you should be aiming your fire at. These trains are their brainchild.

Only a small proportion of us passengers are informed - and then in a way coloured by how we read data and who's talking to us - as to how and where various decisions have come about.   We're also coloured in our view of how we rate outcomes and responsibilities.

"Meet the Managing Director" will be an opportunity to ask about the choice, specification and entry into service of these trains, how the service will continue and steps to ensure it works as "best service" forward.  I will leave it for Mark in due course to answer should a question along these lines come out of the melting pot for 5th August; I would be very surprised if it doesn't.  Although I personally feel sufficiently informed on what has gone and probably wouldn't ask, many others don't know / don't feel they know (and with some emotion on social media) and it would be excellent to get an answer for them with a question along the lines at the start of this paragraph. How much that satisfies - well - let's see.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: July 10, 2019, 09:38:26 »

It must be costing business - anecdotally I won't bother using the train now for holidays nor will my parents. Too often stuck on overcrowded trains with nowhere to put luggage, air con broken, toilets broken, reservations not working etc. etc. Nationalisation can't come soon enough IMO (in my opinion). This is a total shambles.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: July 10, 2019, 10:13:06 »

It must be costing business - anecdotally I won't bother using the train now for holidays nor will my parents. Too often stuck on overcrowded trains with nowhere to put luggage, air con broken, toilets broken, reservations not working etc. etc. Nationalisation can't come soon enough IMO (in my opinion). This is a total shambles.

I use the train for any trip where it is economically preferable, and will continue to do so. But I probably won't be going on holiday to the south-west in August by rail, partly because I know what you mean about what it's like to be on an overcrowded train with a young family, and partly because I live there. As to nationalisation, if the major part of the problem is the level of service or type of vehicle, both of which were dictated by Government and administered by DfT» (Department for Transport - about), then I fail to see how also having the train driven and the trolley hidden in first class by civil servants is going to do much to improve matters.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:04:46 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: July 10, 2019, 10:14:56 »

And again today
https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/reading-berkshire-news/live-gwr-passengers-face-packed-16560024

I find this part funny:
There are shorter trains than usual for the second day on the GWR (Great Western Railway) mainline from Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington

A bit more than just a second day!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: July 10, 2019, 10:34:06 »

I do not believe that nationalisation is the answer for the reasons already given. Other than that I agree.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: