Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:39:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543811 times)
rogerpatenall

View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: July 10, 2019, 10:54:23 »

During a break at Grahame's meeting at Westbury some of us had an interesting and informal chat with the Senior Lady from GWR (Great Western Railway) (whom we were delighted to see at the meeting, and whose name I forget). At the time I thought that all of her answers to questions were logical, (courteous) and 'off the cuff' except for one response which seemed pre-scripted - "you can give up any idea of seeing buffets reinstated".
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: July 10, 2019, 11:03:48 »

Whoah, broadgage!  I'm dealing with it!  Roll Eyes Wink Grin

Another point to avoid wiggle room/ irrelevant replies. When referring to short formed IETs (Intercity Express Train) it would be well to stress that this refers to use of a single 5 car unit, when 9 or 10 should have been provided. This avoids the standard reply,
"we do use the flexibility inherent in our new train fleet to sometimes run a 9 car train instead of a 10 car, this provides almost the same number of seats"
Which is true but not relevant to the real issue of half length new trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: July 10, 2019, 11:21:16 »

At the time I thought that all of her answers to questions were logical, (courteous) and 'off the cuff' except for one response which seemed pre-scripted - "you can give up any idea of seeing buffets reinstated".
And I believe that will always be the case. I think in the main people prefer seats to buffets.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1908 on: July 10, 2019, 11:53:45 »

I think in the main people prefer seats to buffets.

Any chance of "thumbs down" emoticon to the opposite of the "like" button please?  Grin Grin

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: July 10, 2019, 12:08:02 »

During a break at Grahame's meeting at Westbury some of us had an interesting and informal chat with the Senior Lady from GWR (Great Western Railway) (whom we were delighted to see at the meeting, and whose name I forget). At the time I thought that all of her answers to questions were logical, (courteous) and 'off the cuff' except for one response which seemed pre-scripted - "you can give up any idea of seeing buffets reinstated".

So we can tell broadgage that it hasn't been ruled out completely.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: July 10, 2019, 12:31:40 »

A cynic might suggest that telling Broadgage to 'give up an idea' might fall on deaf ears.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: July 10, 2019, 13:29:40 »

At the time I thought that all of her answers to questions were logical, (courteous) and 'off the cuff' except for one response which seemed pre-scripted - "you can give up any idea of seeing buffets reinstated".
And I believe that will always be the case. I think in the main people prefer seats to buffets.

Translation "you can give up any idea of seeing buffets re-instated WHILST WE ARE IN CHARGE"  GWR (Great Western Railway) have put a lot of trouble and effort into trying to persuade us that buffets are no longer wanted. Any return of buffets would be seen as a climb down or as an admission of defeat.
A future operator might however fit buffets. It would be an easy win for a new operator to enhance their popularity.

As to the old argument that people want seats rather than buffets, what about the IETs (Intercity Express Train) on non GWR routes ? These DO have buffets and I have not heard of any significant calls to remove the buffets to provide a few more seats.

I also believe that a significant minority of passengers would stand THROUGH CHOICE in a decent sized buffet, if in convivial company and taking refreshment, just as many people stand through choice in a public house.
I recall the crowds standing through choice in the buffet cars on the Wessex Electrics, back in the good old days.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: July 10, 2019, 14:08:23 »

It's possible, but not likely in my opinion, whilst the DfT are really in charge.  A change of operator won't change that.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1913 on: July 10, 2019, 14:57:08 »

Any chance of "thumbs down" emoticon to the opposite of the "like" button please?  Grin Grin

Let's see what comes when the software's updated.   As it stands the current "like" system is something I have cobbled together and will need re-implementing if the main new software updates or patches don't include it ... will thinks about "like", "dislike", "sad", "love", "haha", "sympathy", "jealous" and "tired of subject".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1914 on: July 10, 2019, 16:22:53 »

Let's see what comes when the software's updated.   As it stands the current "like" system is something I have cobbled together and will need re-implementing if the main new software updates or patches don't include it ... will thinks about "like", "dislike", "sad", "love", "haha", "sympathy", "jealous" and "tired of subject".

I don't know what all this has got to do with "IETs (Intercity Express Train) into passenger service, "but as you've both started... Wink

I don't have a problem with like and dislike - that is fairly standard as on Youtube for example - but taking it any further is another issue. Even like and dislike has potential implications; too many "dislikes" against a post may make a poster think twice about posting, or indeed whether they want to continue posting on the forum at all. That could be bad for the site's traffic.

But there is one on that list which, in my view, is an absolute no-no. If someone is "tired of subject" then the answer is already to hand - stop reading it and leave it to others who are interested in the subject.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: July 10, 2019, 16:55:10 »

Unfortunately, this is a wide ranging subject so it's possible to be tired only by one aspect of it. I really do think IET (Intercity Express Train) catering should only be discussed in the dedicated catering topic so that those of us bored to tears by the subject can ignore it and get on with discussing IET operation and performance here.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1916 on: July 10, 2019, 17:20:07 »

The latter ideas were tongue in cheek.   Like - YES - "approve of post / feel negative/sad about what it talks about" - shortened to "dislike" usually - maybe.   Others - not so sure.   When I first implemented the "like", consideration was given to how many levels to add - decision (and I think the right one at the time and perhaps now) was very few levels.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: July 10, 2019, 20:05:29 »

I recall the crowds standing through choice in the buffet cars on the Wessex Electrics, back in the good old days.

I used to drink heavily on rail journeys, too.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: July 10, 2019, 20:10:17 »

I don’t need a rail journey to drink heavily.
.....oh sorry wrong thread.   Grin
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: July 10, 2019, 23:08:46 »

Most of my rail journeys seem to make a drink afterwords a good idea, not been on a IET (Intercity Express Train) yet, lets hope they have the same effect even if on time, full length and woroking on electric.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: