I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:13:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543897 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: July 30, 2019, 18:56:06 »

Oh dear, here we go again.......

From the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum:
The Hitachi mobile technician was busy at Exeter this morning. 1A72 and 1A73 both had issues after being struck by waves and spray at Dawlish. 1A73 (05:29 Plymouth to Paddington) with 802106 left Exeter 51 minutes late after multiple GUs had shut down. Next along was 1A72 (05:53 Plymouth to Paddington) with 802104. This also had multiple GUs shut down whilst traversing the Dawlish sea wall. This departed Exeter 25 minutes late after the technician managed to get 3 of the GUs working. 1A72 overtook 1A73 at Exeter (instead of at Westbury) as restarting the GUs on 1A73 took longer.

Graphite Underpants? Geranium Utilisers? Ghanaian Unidexters?

Asking for a friend.

Now, please!
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: July 30, 2019, 19:13:44 »

Tonight the 1648 Cardiff to Swansea got tangled up in the silly string between Swindon and Stoke Gifford Parkway, ended up an hour late, and Hopwood's geniuses decided that, instead of reforming it as the 1751, they'd then run it non-stop to Swansea. The 1751 then got sent via Chippenham, but the lordly denizens of Stoke Gifford Parkway couldn't be set down at Stapleton Road, Filton, or Patchway and complete their journeys by bus. Oh no. Instead Hopwood's geniuses waste so much time reversing that at their little halt in Stoke Gifford that the 1751 also runs non-stop Cardiff to Swansea. But by this time, all the passengers from two IETs (Intercity Express Train) have ended up on TfW's two-car Pacer 1806 all stations Cardiff to Swansea. Which then gets held at Port Talbot so that Hopwood's empty 1751 (cough, 1820) can delay anyone going home to Neath even more. Why does Hopwood hate Neath so much? It's a large town and a much more convenient station for Mid and West Wales than that dinky terminus in Swansea. It is not, unlike Stoke Gifford Crossing Parkway Halt, an appropriate station to skip. Ever. Here endeth the rant.

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: July 30, 2019, 21:25:41 »

G U = Generation Units ?...
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: July 30, 2019, 21:34:34 »

Actually WP I understand it as 'Generating Unit' (Engine to you and me).
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: July 30, 2019, 21:45:46 »

I disagree its the Dynamo/ Alternator.
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: July 30, 2019, 22:40:14 »

It’s both, the engine, the cooler group, the alternator, the emissions control - all in one unit.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: July 30, 2019, 23:26:43 »

Yes, engine by any commonsense standards.
However TPTB (The Powers That Be) don't like any mention of "engines" as that might give the impression that nasty polluting diesel fuel is involved.
"Generating units" sounds more modern and might give a more positive impression that the power is electricity, or pixie dust, or positive thoughts, rather than nasty old fashioned engines.

Also, references to "engines" might suggest that the new trains are DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) with underfloor engines. "DMU" is considered a negative term that critics might associate with shorter trains, less luggage space, and no buffet.
These are the wonderous new purpose designed Intercity Express Trains. Any suggestions that they might actually be DMUs are to be discouraged, as are allegations that they wont have a buffet, or that they might be shorter, or not be able to accommodate holiday luggage, cycles, and surfboards. Some people might even consider them to be a DOWNGRADE.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: July 30, 2019, 23:42:56 »

Yes, engine by any commonsense standards.
However TPTB (The Powers That Be) don't like any mention of "engines" as that might give the impression that nasty polluting diesel fuel is involved.
"Generating units" sounds more modern and might give a more positive impression that the power is electricity, or pixie dust, or positive thoughts, rather than nasty old fashioned engines.

Also, references to "engines" might suggest that the new trains are DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) with underfloor engines. "DMU" is considered a negative term that critics might associate with shorter trains, less luggage space, and no buffet.
These are the wonderous new purpose designed Intercity Express Trains. Any suggestions that they might actually be DMUs are to be discouraged, as are allegations that they wont have a buffet, or that they might be shorter, or not be able to accommodate holiday luggage, cycles, and surfboards. Some people might even consider them to be a DOWNGRADE.

Or maybe, there is just no conspiracy and they are called GU’s, as that precisely what they are.  If they weren’t slung under a train, they’d be called Gensets.

Traditional DMU’s are powered by a traditional drive train of engine, gearbox, driveshaft (Cardan shaft) and final drive on the axle, whereas these, as voyagers, are diesel electrics, with the engine being purely the power for the generator.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: July 31, 2019, 00:06:48 »

Of course it is a conspiracy to try and make the IETs (Intercity Express Train) sound better and not like a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) with the negative connotations thereof.

Does anyone refer to the Generating Units on a Voyager, or on Ye Olde Hampshire units, or indeed on an HST (High Speed Train) ? No of course not ! they are called engines.
Just another silly re-branding like calling track defects "safety inspections of the track"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: July 31, 2019, 01:46:47 »

Don’t worry, Broadgage.  The crew will be calling them engines for many years to come.  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: July 31, 2019, 02:21:22 »

It’s both, the engine, the cooler group, the alternator, the emissions control - all in one unit.

OK , its both, twice over or a four in one.
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: July 31, 2019, 08:09:10 »

Of course it is a conspiracy to try and make the IETs (Intercity Express Train) sound better and not like a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) with the negative connotations thereof.

Does anyone refer to the Generating Units on a Voyager, or on Ye Olde Hampshire units, or indeed on an HST (High Speed Train) ? No of course not ! they are called engines.
Just another silly re-branding like calling track defects "safety inspections of the track"

Not called GU’s on other classes, as it not all in a combined ‘unit’ that is removed and fitted as one entity.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1977 on: July 31, 2019, 08:25:47 »

Not called GU’s on other classes, as it not all in a combined ‘unit’ that is removed and fitted as one entity.

Is that two STOP button things on the lower front? Or is it a press both to start, and one other to stop?  Not the least bit technikul but bus big buttons at the back wot drivers are never allowed to touch (Engineers only) have 2 BIG buttons to play with. One start, one stop.  In the real world drivers are often asked to do things with those buttons, even when 'not qualified' and against Union guidance..........

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: July 31, 2019, 12:50:30 »

Drivers often use the 'Local Start' or 'Local Stop' buttons whenever they are fault finding - can't remember any 'Union guidance' to say otherwise, though procedures and methods for all traction is slightly different.  On the IETs (Intercity Express Train) it is different as you pretty much always need authority to do anything!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: July 31, 2019, 13:55:25 »

Is that two STOP button things on the lower front? Or is it a press both to start, and one other to stop?  Not the least bit technikul but bus big buttons at the back wot drivers are never allowed to touch (Engineers only) have 2 BIG buttons to play with. One start, one stop.  In the real world drivers are often asked to do things with those buttons, even when 'not qualified' and against Union guidance..........

Those red bits are the kind of plastic covers used to protect round things that have to be connected up when the GU is fitted. They might be pipes for something, but I suspect they are multipole electrical connectors. Incidentally, there are two on the other side.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: