Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:59:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543778 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: September 19, 2019, 09:35:28 »

Number of 9's instead of 10's out today which would seem to suggest there should be a number of 5's or 10's instead of 9's but no, 5's instead of 10's, yes, which seems to suggest maintenance spares 9's are pressed into service to cover more 5's in the defects queue than anticipated.

About a dozen 5 car IETs (Intercity Express Train) instead of 9 car or 10 car now showing. Seems to be the new normal.

There now appears to be two 5 vice 9/10 car diagrams today, and three 9 vice 10 - the latter of which is obviously of minimal concern.

See my post #1999 on previous page.  Also bear in mind one unit has still to be accepted into traffic, and I know of another (9-car IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly)) that has been out for a very long time whilst problems are addressed.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: September 19, 2019, 10:54:17 »

As reported on other forums there are many modifications and upgrades currently being installed on the IET (Intercity Express Train) fleet of 800 and 802s, with a view to getting most of them sorted by December.  The main ones being alterations to the engine mapping of the 800s to bring them in line with the 802s in terms of performance on diesel, and reinstatement of the dynamic brakes which have been isolated since the end of last year due to sorting out a small lag that was evident when blending from the dynamic brake to the disc brakes at low speeds.  Also, there are very few 'dirty' ones left now, so the heavy cleaning program must be drawing to a close.

I wonder if Hitachi start paying full compensation for failure to provide the contracted number of units from December, as there appears to be much more focus on resolving issues of late?

Also, this week saw a start on a plan to vastly reduce the number of units in reverse formation, by making special arrangements to log them during the day and, where possible, turn them at the end of the day, known as 'Project U-turn'!  The aim is to reduce the 20 something reported last week, down to zero by the end of the month, and it looks like they will have made reductions well into double figures by the end of the week.  Obviously this will then need to keep happening in the future when engineering work or unforeseen problems lead to trains ending up in the wrong formation at the end of the day.  This will become easier when sets at North Pole can be turned by being sent to Greenford and work on validation and infrastructure is ongoing so that can happen soon.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: September 19, 2019, 15:43:13 »

"Project U turn" to get all or nearly all trains the right way round sounds welcome, but after two years of randomness, I and probably others have forgotten which way round is correct. What is it ?

First class at the London end as with HSTs (High Speed Train) ? or something else.

And in which portion of a 5+5 train is the Pullman intended to be ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: September 19, 2019, 16:33:09 »

"Project U turn" to get all or nearly all trains the right way round sounds welcome, but after two years of randomness, I and probably others have forgotten which way round is correct. What is it ?

First class at the London end as with HSTs (High Speed Train) ? or something else.

And in which portion of a 5+5 train is the Pullman intended to be ?

Not sure about Pullman's, but formations from London (First Class in bold) should be:

A-B-C-D-E (for 5-cars)

A-B-C-D-G-H-J-K-L (for 9-cars)

A-B-C-D-E/G-H-J-K-L (for 10-cars)

So, First Class should always be located at the London end of the train, or London end of each portion in the case of a 10-car.  Some 9-cars still have Coach D as Coach F and that is usually the cause of the reservation files not loading properly on 9-car trains - efforts to get that all sorted are delayed but should be resolved by December.

"Project U turn"

I should probably take the opportunity to clarify that 'Project U Turn' means Project Unit Turn, and not any decision to change the catering arrangements!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: September 19, 2019, 16:35:32 »

Pullman should always be in the first class section nearest to the London end.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: September 19, 2019, 18:26:59 »

"Project U turn"

I should probably take the opportunity to clarify that 'Project U Turn' means Project Unit Turn, and not any decision to change the catering arrangements!

I know, unfortunately.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: September 20, 2019, 13:59:44 »

Just had my first long(ish) journey in 1st Class. Twyford to Carmarthen.

Just to be contrary I found the seats fine. Not as nice as the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) 1st class but ok for the 3 1/2 trip to Carmarthen. My only complaint would be there was no way to adjust or remove the padded headrests saying 1st class which I found pushed my head forward slightly and gave me a headache.

Downside was that there were no seat reservations and it was quite crowded for the start of the journey.

Food was from a complimentary mini trolley. Cups of tea, cake and sandwiches which was all I needed for my journey. A slightly longer journey and I would probably have hoped for something more but i felt well looked after till Swansea. After Swansea it felt everyone was winding down for the few passengers still on the train.

No ticket checks which surprised me as I helped myself to all my free snacks.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: September 20, 2019, 22:36:03 »

Just to be contrary I found the seats fine. Not as nice as the LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) 1st class but ok for the 3 1/2 trip to Carmarthen. My only complaint would be there was no way to adjust or remove the padded headrests saying 1st class which I found pushed my head forward slightly and gave me a headache.

Downside was that there were no seat reservations and it was quite crowded for the start of the journey.

Food was from a complimentary mini trolley. Cups of tea, cake and sandwiches which was all I needed for my journey. A slightly longer journey and I would probably have hoped for something more but i felt well looked after till Swansea. After Swansea it felt everyone was winding down for the few passengers still on the train.

Did you ever do 1st on the HST (High Speed Train) before it left GWRland to be able to compare the two?
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: September 21, 2019, 10:53:31 »

Did you ever do 1st on the HST (High Speed Train) before it left GWRland to be able to compare the two?

No. Only first class I've travelled is on the East Coast in its various guises. I only booked first class to Carmarthen as it can be very crowded and earlier trips saw it reduced to 5 coaches quite often. It doesn't compare to 1st on the HST to Stirling and I am wondering about the new trains on a longer journey.

Maybe I'm in the category of 'doesn't know better' but I was happy with my journey apart from the seat reservations.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: September 25, 2019, 05:31:35 »

A 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train), running as an unadvertised express, ran non-stop from Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington (via Bristol Parkway) last evening in 72 minutes. Quotes online suggest this is the fastest 'up' run since 1976. Presumably the IET switched traction on the fly around Stoke Gifford Jcn/Bristol Parkway.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V34300/2019/09/24/advanced

The fastest 'down' was the August 1984 5 car HST (High Speed Train) led by 43002 'Top of the Pops' (for a special live edition of said show), which completed the run in under 63 minutes.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: September 25, 2019, 08:05:47 »

As a counter to BNM's post I was on the 1K14 yesterday between Paddington and Thatcham, a 5-car which appeared to be on diesel throughout. Fastest we got to was 110 between PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) and RDG(resolve) and when I alighted at Thatcham I'm fairly sure it was only running on 2 (out of 3) GU's. It didn't get above about 85 on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) either (100 is quite usual between Theale and Thatcham on other recent trips)

Still arrived in Thatcham RT but I guess only because these services are still running to a Turbo timetable.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: September 25, 2019, 09:30:09 »

Reading the last two posts sparked a thought. IETs (Intercity Express Train) are the modern equivalent of a Brush type 4 and mark 1 coaching stock of the 1970s. They cover everything from outer suburban stopping trains that go fast to London for the last 20-40 miles to the long distance Inter City expresses. As with their predecessors there are compromises and shortcomings (mark 1 compartment stock had a whole litany of comfort shortcomings such as lumpy bench seats, fry or freeze heating and poor ventilation) but they cover the bases, and give flexibility in covering a wide range of services. It is though a problem that they do not seem to be able readily to swap out individual defective coaches to add to that flexibility

May be the answer in due course might be to upgrade part of the fleet for the "top link" express services?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: September 25, 2019, 13:52:27 »

Project U-Turn has reduced the number of sets n reverse formation down to five, only three of which are in traffic today.  On target for zero at the end of the month.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: September 25, 2019, 14:52:36 »

Project U-Turn has reduced the number of sets n reverse formation down to five, only three of which are in traffic today.  On target for zero at the end of the month.

Yes, noted a lot of turning now taking place on Laira triangle at Plymouth.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: October 03, 2019, 11:02:44 »

Oh dear LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) have caught 5vice10 now they've bought their five car sets into service:

From Twitter: https://twitter.com/LNER/status/1179685594340966400

#LNERUpdate Facilities on the 10.06 #KingsCross to #Newark Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10. There are no reservations on this service. Staff onboard the train and at the Station will be happy to assist you in finding an alternative unreserved seat.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: