I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:05:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543894 times)
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: November 14, 2019, 17:52:58 »

If I thought it couldn't get any worse after yesterday, I was wrong. Some genius in Paddington decided to short-form 1B46 1445 Paddington to Swansea (1648 at Cardiff), which thanks to hour-long gaps to Swansea both sides is by some considerable way the busiest South Wales train of the afternoon. Was door-hanging and got a seat right next to the kitchen; so I still luckily got to eat. But I was alone in that privelege. What a fiasco. It would be better to cancel a short turn than do this. Someone at Paddington is seriously incompetent to choose to do this to this particular train. I would support giving the Welsh Government the power to impose fines on GWR (Great Western Railway) so that they at least have some incentive to prioritise their resources.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 14, 2019, 18:05:18 »

Whilst appreciating your frustrations, decisions such as that are not made at Paddington.  They are made at Swindon Control in conjunction with HRE - and not always just due to incompetence as many factors come into play.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 14, 2019, 18:27:01 »

Whilst appreciating your frustrations, decisions such as that are not made at Paddington.  They are made at Swindon Control in conjunction with HRE - and not always just due to incompetence as many factors come into play.

"Not always just due to incompetence" - I believe that is known as being damned with faint praise!  Grin
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 15, 2019, 08:06:20 »

My trip to Carmarthen last night had no seat reservations in first (and it was busy), no food available and of course arrived late. And this has all happened before.

Not sure any of this encourages me to continue paying £140 for a ticket. If its going to be such a poor experience I might as well save money and do multiple changes and use local services.

On the plus it was the scheduled 5+5.
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 15, 2019, 17:36:48 »

No factors can excuse putting 10 cars on the 1415 to Cardiff then 5 on the 1445 to Swansea. This genius did it again tonight. If it's not incompetence, it's misconduct. Either way they should be dismissed. Do you have their name or job title so I can report them? I

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 15, 2019, 17:47:49 »

Do I understand that you do not fully appreciate the flexible train length ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 15, 2019, 18:16:52 »

No factors can excuse putting 10 cars on the 1415 to Cardiff then 5 on the 1445 to Swansea. This genius did it again tonight. If it's not incompetence, it's misconduct. Either way they should be dismissed. Do you have their name or job title so I can report them? I

I'm sure that'd help  Roll Eyes
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: November 15, 2019, 18:51:26 »

Perhaps 'Incider' can comment further?

But a couple of potential factors:

The 14:15 Cardiff sets then form the 16:56 Cardiff to Paddington which I would imagine is also quite busy, but, more importantly, those sets then form the 19:30 Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare.  That's the first super off-peak train from Paddington to places like Bath and Bristol and is also a very busy train.  I expect the many hundreds of passengers wanting that train would congratulate the decision to form that diagram with 10-cars instead of 5-cars rather than think someone should be dismissed.  The Swansea set works a much later train out of Paddington as its final run of the day.

Also, if you were to swap the 10-car train onto the 14:45 to Swansea, then your set for the 14:15 to Cardiff would be formed off of a train arriving at 14:14.  Even with that train arriving 5 minutes early today, you would then be looking at a late start.

I can only trust what the Managing Director has said which is that there is much less maintenance after the December timetable so availability should be a lot better.  If it isn't and we do get significant numbers of shortforms on busy trains from then onwards, I will soon be taking the side of those who have said 5-car trains were not the right decision.

Finally, on a slight tangent, we're in the middle of the leaf fall period, yet the IETs (Intercity Express Train) are proving pretty good at dealing with that - so much so that I don't think the leaf fall season has been mentioned on here this year yet.  By now in previous years we'd no doubt have been dealing with HSTs (High Speed Train) getting stuck up Dainton/Rattery/Hemerdon and Campden Banks, or losing loads of time, and no doubt there would have been many more cancellations as a result of that.  A shortform is better than no train at all.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #2138 on: November 15, 2019, 20:38:49 »

Also,  to change over sets without causing delay they have to be in the right place at the same time
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 15, 2019, 22:48:50 »

Perhaps 'Incider' can comment further?

But a couple of potential factors:

The 14:15 Cardiff sets then form the 16:56 Cardiff to Paddington which I would imagine is also quite busy, but, more importantly, those sets then form the 19:30 Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare.  That's the first super off-peak train from Paddington to places like Bath and Bristol and is also a very busy train.  I expect the many hundreds of passengers wanting that train would congratulate the decision to form that diagram with 10-cars instead of 5-cars rather than think someone should be dismissed.  The Swansea set works a much later train out of Paddington as its final run of the day.

Also, if you were to swap the 10-car train onto the 14:45 to Swansea, then your set for the 14:15 to Cardiff would be formed off of a train arriving at 14:14.  Even with that train arriving 5 minutes early today, you would then be looking at a late start.

I can only trust what the Managing Director has said which is that there is much less maintenance after the December timetable so availability should be a lot better.  If it isn't and we do get significant numbers of shortforms on busy trains from then onwards, I will soon be taking the side of those who have said 5-car trains were not the right decision.

Finally, on a slight tangent, we're in the middle of the leaf fall period, yet the IETs (Intercity Express Train) are proving pretty good at dealing with that - so much so that I don't think the leaf fall season has been mentioned on here this year yet.  By now in previous years we'd no doubt have been dealing with HSTs (High Speed Train) getting stuck up Dainton/Rattery/Hemerdon and Campden Banks, or losing loads of time, and no doubt there would have been many more cancellations as a result of that.  A shortform is better than no train at all.

Not sure I can add much more, Hitachi and GWR (Great Western Railway) confer during the night to allocate units to diagrams, just as when it was GWR allocating their own units the  GWR TSC’s (who have the intimate diagram knowledge) will say what goes uncovered or shortformed (as they always have done), whether that means swaps in the day or altering the depot departures in the morning.  The only thing that might alter that is units that need to stop for exams and have mileage limitations.  Even that is usually mitigated with swaps in the daytime.

The reasoning given for diagramming short on one service to benefit others is well explained above and I can add nothing.

The 800/802 is suffering far less from wheel slip and slide than the HST fleet did, I’m sure those who travel on them regularly will notice the improvement in wheel flats, the HST’s were pretty noisy at times.  The improved tractive and braking grip will give Drivers confidence, improve timings and safety.  The number of gotchas HST v 800 is significantly less, in favour of HST’s.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 16, 2019, 12:15:26 »

Of course if we had "Japanese levels of reliability"  and if "all trains that need to be full length, will be" then we would not be debating which services would be less bad to short form.

All looking very voyager like.
Or perhaps comparable to the Waterloo to Exeter route being downgraded to 3 car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). Many services on that line ARE now full length, but it took about 20 years of overcrowded shorter trains before this was achieved.
Or perhaps comparable to Networkers replacing slam door EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) on services to South East London and Kent, that was many years ago, but 6 car networkers are still running on routes previously served by 8 car slam door units.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 16, 2019, 12:40:52 »

Regarding the performance in leaf fall season, the new trains are undoubtedly much better at dealing with slippery rails than the old ones, but it’s only fair to recognise a general improvement in vegetation management from Network Rail over the last two or three years.  There are far fewer jungles within the boundary fences nowadays.

Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 16, 2019, 20:25:15 »

Of course if we had "Japanese levels of reliability" 

Maybe if the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) had asked the Japanese to build and supply a train, without so many conditions, we might have.  There are approx two hundred different suppliers of parts from all over Europe,  some of which, like ATP (Automatic Train Protection), don’t aid reliability.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 19:15:53 by Incider » Logged
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 18, 2019, 13:17:50 »

Regarding the performance in leaf fall season, the new trains are undoubtedly much better at dealing with slippery rails than the old ones, but it’s only fair to recognise a general improvement in vegetation management from Network Rail over the last two or three years.  There are far fewer jungles within the boundary fences nowadays.

I’m not entirely convinced the IETs (Intercity Express Train) are better dealing with slippery rails than the HSTs (High Speed Train).  This Autumn hasn’t been that bad at all with only a few reports of adhesion problems coming from the West Country which is normally the hardest hit.  The Castle HSTs and IETs don’t seem to be running around with any wheel flats, even the Pacers still have round wheels!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: November 18, 2019, 13:27:44 »

They’re much better - especially when accelerating which was always a big negative in Autumn with HST (High Speed Train)’s as simply too much power was going to the driven wheels even in the lower power notches.  2+4 would likely be less of a problem than 2+8 of course.

As I said though, better vegetation management has also improved things, as has the slack in the timetable on many of the IET (Intercity Express Train) services still operating to HST schedules.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: