I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:03:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543914 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: December 23, 2019, 08:59:21 »

It's basic logic?
Basic logic would have been to have built enough full length trains to replace the full length trains they were replacing in the first place. But then basic logic does not apply to the railways.

Stepping back - I think that perhaps basic logic does apply - and that on a good day when everything and everyone is working, the trains, line capacity and staff are all there.   It's called "making full use of your resources".  Sadly, when you get the wrong type of pollen, an operating incident such as a freight train sitting down, or a retirement party everyone wants to attend, there isn't the slack in the system to cope.  And where I've listed just three potential and rare incidents, there are 300 things that each very occasionally go wrong, adding up to something going wrong on most days.

You forgot "Sundays" - not rare, they happen every week.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: December 23, 2019, 09:03:32 »

You forgot "Sundays" - not rare, they happen every week.

Very true, though there's been more rain days than sun days lately.  Today is a pleasant change as it's a beautiful morning.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: December 23, 2019, 20:48:14 »

*** COFFEE SHOP TOP TIP ***

Are you a bit of a stuck record?  Want to save yourself time and effort typing the same thing in the majority of your posts?  Simply insert the following text into your forum signature:

Progress I know but still regrettable.
All very voyager like.

Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: December 23, 2019, 23:19:18 »

I could perhaps suggest an alternative signature for those who like IETs (Intercity Express Train).

"5 cars so much better than none. A trolley is far superior to a buffet, and no trolley is better still. Padded seats are bad for you, reservations are not really needed anymore. Embrace the future"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: December 24, 2019, 06:18:45 »

Yes, indeed.  Apart from the first and last sentence, which are obvious, I would encourage anyone who had those views to include them in their signature.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: December 24, 2019, 07:24:13 »

Yes, indeed.  Apart from the first and last sentence, which are obvious, I would encourage anyone who had those views to include them in their signature.

Hey Hey! Now you boys be nice to each other, it's Christmas!  Smiley

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: December 24, 2019, 07:59:35 »

An outdated tradition...  Wink

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: December 24, 2019, 13:33:13 »

*** COFFEE SHOP TOP TIP ***

Are you a bit of a stuck record?  Want to save yourself time and effort typing the same thing in the majority of your posts?  Simply insert the following text into your forum signature:

Progress I know but still regrettable.
All very voyager like.

Wink

I really thought broadgage had got the hint and was sparing us the ad nauseam repetition, but I think it's like an addiction - try as hard as he can he can't help himself.  Maybe a New Year's resolution eh, broadgage?  I'm sure we would all welcome it, and won't take it as a sign that your views are changing. But we do know them by now.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: December 24, 2019, 18:34:46 »

I'm currently sitting on a Chiltern version of a Thames Turbo from Marylebone.  This makes the GWR (Great Western Railway) version of this train look like the Orient Express and an IET (Intercity Express Train) look like the Blue Train. There are loads of seats seats but there's even less padding in them than a Fainsa on the IET. The padding also has less (any?) give and it's like sitting on bricks. I looked for the business zone which this train was advertised as having but it doesn't. I'm feeling every bump we go over in the train and the ride quality was never good to begin with.

Oh and no tables anywhere At least GWR do offer a trolley occasionally unlike Chiltern who offer sod all. Broadgage may complain about the IET but there's far worse out there and at the moment 1st on a GWR Thames Turbo looks palatial. Oh and I'm in the Quiet carriage which is at the front of the train. There are no doors separating the zone from the rest of the carriage which isn't helpful for noise reduction. Also as is obligatory of the 4 other people in the zone: one is asleep, one is on his mobile having a conversation and the other two are talking.

Merry Christmas  - Bah Humbug
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 18:57:27 by 1st fan » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: December 27, 2019, 12:47:16 »

On a day of huge demand, limited services & crew shortages, GWR (Great Western Railway) shortform trains......

11:16 Plymouth to Reading due 14:02
Additional 11:16 Plymouth to Reading due 14:02 has been previously delayed, has been further delayed at Exeter St Davids and is now 19 minutes late.
This is due to overcrowding because of an earlier cancellation.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10. Service full and standing.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: December 27, 2019, 13:04:41 »

On a day of huge demand, limited services & crew shortages, GWR (Great Western Railway) shortform trains......

Additional 11:16 Plymouth to Reading due 14:02 has been previously delayed, has been further delayed at Exeter St Davids and is now 19 minutes late.

Unfortunately this was due to attach to the 09.15 from Penzance which, I believe, was the one involved with the incident this morning. It terminated at Plymouth 2 hours late

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2216 on: December 27, 2019, 13:34:46 »

Unfortunately this was due to attach to the 09.15 from Penzance which, I believe, was the one involved with the incident this morning. It terminated at Plymouth 2 hours late

This is very much the exception to the rule where a short form even for a really busy train is 110% understood.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: December 27, 2019, 13:55:14 »

And could well have ended up cancelled if it had been a HST (High Speed Train).  Five coaches is better than zero some might say.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: December 27, 2019, 13:58:36 »

This, for once, shows the flexibility of the five car sets.  With the original five involved in the fatality near Redruth there was at least five available at Plymouth to take the service forward.  Had it been an HST (High Speed Train) it would more than likely have been cancelled throughout.
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: December 27, 2019, 14:15:06 »

...maybe,  maybe not.
I would say that in days gone by, the first or second west bound London/ Reading to Penzance would probably  been turned at Plymouth.

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: