Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:35:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 543761 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2280 on: February 04, 2020, 16:36:13 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 0637 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-PNZ is planned as a 5-car throughout. It certainly doesn't warrant any additional capacity from the times I've been on it.

Lets hope '9 to 5' is not the 'norm' on both the Western and London North Eastern in future.
https://twitter.com/1st_class_pie/status/1224674901031866368

Let's hope ... BUT the 06:37 from Paddington looks like it's booked as a five all the way to Penzance and back tp Plymouth where at about 14:10 it picks up another 5.  And for the race to Plymouth at the start of the day (at least) I can't image it needing more.    Mind you, stop it along the way to provide a peak train into Taunton and Exeter (i.e. couple of calls on the B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) including Westbury) and you may have a story that changes.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: February 13, 2020, 09:26:43 »

Came across this poster from 1977.  Interesting to compare the fastest times from 43 years ago to to-day's...

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:44:13 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: February 14, 2020, 07:27:42 »

Quite a few shortforms again today, but of all the services to choose, this one on a Friday has to be one of the most brainless;

19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth due 22:23

Facilities on the 19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth due 22:23.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 9.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: February 14, 2020, 11:29:33 »

Quite a few shortforms again today, but of all the services to choose, this one on a Friday has to be one of the most brainless;

RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) shows that the 1904 set is currently working 1C78 1104 Pad - Ply. Tiger trains is showing this as having 9 coaches.

(Assuming the diagram remains as 1C78, 1A90, 1C94).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: February 14, 2020, 11:32:25 »

Yes, indeed Rob on the hill, who'd have thought it?  JourneyCheck is wrong again! 

A 9-car (802104) is now allocated to that diagram, which also includes its previous two workings, 11:04 Paddington to Plymouth and 15:14 Plymouth to Paddington also listed on JourneyCheck wrongly.

Another diagram of working listed on JourneyCheck is also being covered by a 9-car (800305) instead of the 5-car listed, meaning the 11:20 Paddington to Oxford, 13:02 Oxford to Paddington, 17:34 Paddington to Hereford and 22:00 Hereford to Paddington are properly formed.

Only the five trips to and from Bristol listed on JourneyCheck are correct with 802016 covering that diagram at the moment.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: February 14, 2020, 12:53:07 »

JourneyCheck is wrong again! 

This morning, JourneyCheck was right, reporting the 06:43 Worcester Shrub Hill to Paddington service as a five car short-formation. Not so helpfully, the Customer Information Screens (CIS (Customer Information System)) said the first class would be at the back so passengers gravitated towards the front of the train. The train arrives with first class at the front so a bit of a rush as passengers swamp the first available standard class doors.

Yesterday, the CIS also reported this train with first class at the rear: it arrived with first class at the front. And for the last three four days, the CIS have reported the 15:20 Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street the wrong way round.

This is just my experience on a couple of regular services from and to the Cotswolds but it does seem this information has been far less reliable since the IETs (Intercity Express Train) were introduced: it can be a bit of a pain with a busy five car unit where there are just three and half standard class coaches and passengers have been directed to the first class end.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 17:25:19 by charles_uk » Logged
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: February 14, 2020, 18:25:28 »

I had the same issue with CIS (Customer Information System) not matching the actual train on a service from Bedwyn.  Talked to the train manager about it and she showed me how they have the facility to "flip" the train on the Integrale app on their phone.  This should then get the CIS in step with the train.  However she says often when she has tried to do it the app has produced an error and a resolution is being worked on.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: February 19, 2020, 15:52:14 »

I had the same issue with CIS (Customer Information System) not matching the actual train on a service from Bedwyn.  Talked to the train manager about it and she showed me how they have the facility to "flip" the train on the Integrale app on their phone.  This should then get the CIS in step with the train.  However she says often when she has tried to do it the app has produced an error and a resolution is being worked on.
It's because the app can only be used at certain places:
  • Didcot triangle
  • Dr Days to North Somerset curve
  • Hanwell to Drayton Green Jn to West Ealing
And it can cause aggro with the driver when he has to change ends.

This may contain elements of untruth.

Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: February 21, 2020, 16:06:55 »

I'm not sure its a bug but more a too literal interpretation.

The direct Carmarthen train from Paddington splits at Swansea. All the announcements from Paddington say to travel in the front of the train - first 5 coaches for Carmarthen. My reservation always puts me in the rear 5 coaches. The TM(resolve) at some point makes an announcement to ignore this and that its the rear 5 coaches G to L (?) that travel onward. I've got use to it as a regular traveller on the route but it does make me a bit nervous in case something has changed.

I suspect its because the train reverses out at Swansea so this could technically be correct but its very confusing.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: February 22, 2020, 18:01:31 »

The 17:30 Paddington to W-S-M tonight is shortformed 5 vs 10. It is being terminated at Bristol and has started 10 late from Paddington due to late arrival of crew.

The previous train to Bristol Temple Meads was cancelled due to crew issues.

Sad  Sad
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: February 23, 2020, 18:15:04 »

Came across this poster from 1977.  Interesting to compare the fastest times from 43 years ago to to-day's...

Suspect that is the work of my late father, Brian Haresnape FRSA. He was employed by the BR (British Rail(ways)) Design Panel to put on paper the BR blue liveries up to and including the BR Big Logo and APT (Advanced Passenger Train). No computers of course, everything done meticulously by hand from his studio in Dorking
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: February 23, 2020, 18:51:24 »

I recall the name well. A prolific author, photographer and contributor to the railway press if I remember correctly? I used to enjoy reading his articles.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: February 24, 2020, 13:04:54 »

Over 40 short formed IETs (Intercity Express Train) today, significantly worse than the new normal of between 12 and 20.
Reported as being due to "more trans than normal needing repairs"

Are there any firm plans to run full length trains ? or is it just a case of get used to it and remember the mantra that half a train is better than no train.

We have been offered one excuse after another, the most recent being that the new timetable will improve matters.

Time in my view for Hitachi to lengthen some 5 car sets to 9 car at their own expense, as compensation for the trains not meeting the required standards of reliability/availability.

This fiasco is looking just like other new rolling stock on routes that I use.

3 car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) replacing loco hauled trains on the Waterloo to Exeter route. The new units were too short, and routinely overcrowded. It took about 20 years before some services were as long as they all used to be.

A mixture of 4 car and 6 car networkers replacing slam door DC (Direct Current) EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) in South East London. Too short from day one, 6 car units in the rush hour on routes previously served by 8 car trains. Short trains for 20+ years.

Voyagers replacing full length trains on cross country. Too short from day one, still too short decades later.

Year ago I suggested that the IETs would like other new trains, be routinely too short. IET supporters said that this time it would be different and that the IET fleet was ample for all trains that needed to be full length, to be full length.
Cynical experience trumps optimistic forecasts.

And even when full length, IETs still feel like a commuter train, hard seats, no buffet, unreliable toilets, unreliable reservations, and NO reservations on a short formed train.

I have avoided unduly frequent comment on this, but things are not improving. And it is not just me who considers a 5 car DMU to be a downgrade over the "proper trains" used previously.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: February 24, 2020, 13:15:48 »

Over 40 short formed IETs (Intercity Express Train) today, significantly worse than the new normal of between 12 and 20.
Reported as being due to "more trans than normal needing repairs"

Are there any firm plans to run full length trains ? or is it just a case of get used to it and remember the mantra that half a train is better than no train.

We have been offered one excuse after another, the most recent being that the new timetable will improve matters.

Time in my view for Hitachi to lengthen some 5 car sets to 9 car at their own expense, as compensation for the trains not meeting the required standards of reliability/availability.
Not just GWR (Great Western Railway):

From MD LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) David Horne:
https://twitter.com/DavidHorne/status/1231608956994359299
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: February 24, 2020, 13:27:27 »

Indeed, passengers of other TOCs (Train Operating Company) are now enjoying the flexible train length of IETs (Intercity Express Train). Though at least LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) victims are allowed a buffet.

Whatever the theoretical advantages of IETs, a sensible approach by OTHER TOCs would have been to state to hitachi  "we wont order any of these until the GWR (Great Western Railway) ones are working properly, full length, day in and day out"

In fact, other TOCs rushed to order a clearly defective design that routinely fails to provide a full service of full length trains. Despite the odd soothing platitude from both GWR and LNER, train length seems a low priority. Short trains produce almost the same revenue but save on leasing costs, staff costs, and presumably also save track access charges.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: