19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 03:03:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 546878 times)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #2400 on: June 13, 2020, 10:45:38 »

The endless announcements instructing one to study the emergency information cards did IMO (in my opinion) give the impression that train travel was risky, and especially risky on FGW (First Great Western) services.

I remember learning a new word when first hearing the automated announcements on the 165/6 - "Emergency information is available in the vestibules". Cue confusion amongst most passengers. "What's a vestibule?" I would often hear.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: June 13, 2020, 11:38:04 »

I always thought that emergency cards and light sticks on GW (Great Western) HSTs (High Speed Train) were a preemptive reaction to one specific incident,(Ufton maybe?), but were never required by any higher safety authority.  I don’t recall seeing emergency cards on any other stock? 

Notices at doorways are fairly standardised of course, but I can’t think of any other example of a card per seat?

Paul
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: June 13, 2020, 11:45:10 »

Cue confusion amongst most passengers. "What's a vestibule?" I would often hear.

Pedant Alert:

If the passengers were confused it only goes to show the confusion in the mind of the person who produced the announcement. 165/166s do not have "vestibules", however 158/9s certainly do. Obviously the originator did not have a clue as to what a vestibule actually is.
Just another railway announcement to add to the list of manglings of the English language which the railways seem to excel at.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: June 13, 2020, 12:20:11 »

Also of course, virtually everyone now has a torch on their smartphone, which provide far more light anyway.

Modern trains are far more structurally sound.  HST (High Speed Train) Mk III’s aren’t bad but fold like a pack of cards when stressed from the sides (see images of the Ufton Nervet crash).  We don’t have any crash examples of IETs (Intercity Express Train) yet (fortunately!), but the way that Pendolino stood up to the Grayrigg crash is a good example of how safety design has improved - imagine if that’d been a rake of Mk I’s...

Fair point, but if you're busy with fillet steak and Port, will you be able to get to your phone quickly enough?  Wink
I would have thought one's servant would be expected to have a torch or phone to hand for such an eventuality.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: June 13, 2020, 12:25:23 »

I was wondering why has the safety culture at FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) gone out of the window?
Isn't that a rather inappropriate accusation to make? The directors of GWR will have pretty stringent legal obligations regarding safety, which will be underpinned by fostering a culture of safety within the organisation.

And all on the grounds that the new rolling stock doesn't have lightsticks?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: June 13, 2020, 12:41:25 »

I was wondering why has the safety culture at FGW (First Great Western)/GWR (Great Western Railway) gone out of the window?
Isn't that a rather inappropriate accusation to make? The directors of GWR will have pretty stringent legal obligations regarding safety, which will be underpinned by fostering a culture of safety within the organisation.

I thought the light sticks were a quick fix for the lack of emergency lighting in thew modern sense. The IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) requirement calls up BS EN 13272:2001, ‘Railway applications – Electrical lighting for rolling stock in public transport systems’, for the general lighting and for the definition of emergency lighting. However, the emergency lighting itself was to meet GM/RT2130, Issue 3, December 2010, ‘Vehicle Fire, Safety and Evacuation’, which in turn refers to GM/RC2531 Recommendations for Rail Vehicle Emergency Lighting (at issue 1 at the time). All of these are now superseded or at least revised.

GM/RC2531 explains the change in approach:
2.1 Introduction    GM/RT2130 Vehicle Fire, Safety and Evacuation

4.1 General requirements for emergency lighting

4.1.1 Emergency lighting shall be provided to operate in the event of the loss of general or standby lighting, and is in addition to the provision of general lighting and standby lighting. Guidance on the provision of general lighting and standby lighting is set out in BS EN 13272:2001.

RC001 Traditionally vehicles have been provided with a reduced level of lighting, often referred to in Great Britain as ‘emergency lighting’, the purpose of which was to conserve the life of the vehicle battery in order to retain the operation of key systems for as long as possible in the event of electrical supply interruption. This lighting is referred to in European standards as ’standby lighting’.

RC002 Emergency lighting as specified in GM/RT2130 is provided for situations in which there is a total failure of the vehicle’s electrical power, including failure of the vehicle battery supply. This situation may arise particularly in the event of a train accident, in which the normal power supply may become disabled either by the shock pulse of the accident or by displacement of the vehicle battery.

RC003 In the event of an accident, the immediate reaction of many passengers is to escape from the vehicle, by whatever means. Generally the risks associated with escaping from the vehicle are greater than remaining in the vehicle until advised to evacuate or until rescued.

RC004 The emergency lighting system therefore needs to meet the following requirements:
a) Provide a level of illumination during and immediately following any foreseeable event, including the loss of auxiliary battery feed, sufficient for:
   i) Passengers to evaluate their immediate environment
   ii) Passengers to see other passengers and train crew
   iii) Passengers to administer emergency first aid where essential
   iv) Passengers to read emergency notices at all times
   v) Passengers to move safely between vehicles where appropriate
   vi) Encouraging passengers to stay on board the vehicle in those circumstances in which it is safer to do so
   vii) Passengers to locate and use exits and emergency equipment to escape from the vehicle where appropriate
   viii) Facilitating the safe use of exits during evacuation.
b) Maintain at least a minimum standard of illumination for a period of time sufficient
for most foreseeable circumstances.
c) Withstand defined shock or vibration levels associated with an accident scenario.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: June 13, 2020, 14:11:59 »

Also of course, virtually everyone now has a torch on their smartphone, which provide far more light anyway.

Fair point, but if you're busy with fillet steak and Port, will you be able to get to your phone quickly enough?  Wink
I would have thought one's servant would be expected to have a torch or phone to hand for such an eventuality.

Young sir, you are again prone to slightly exaggerate.
Firstly I would not be busy with fillet steak and port at the SAME time. Steak is the main course and is finished before taking port with the last course.
Any servants would be in the other end of the train, with the horses.
I do however always have a torch with me on public transport. If I have any reason to be doubtful about the reliability of lighting, then TWO torches and spare batteries.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: June 13, 2020, 14:24:47 »

I agree, todays railway whether run by GWR or by other TOCs (Train Operating Company) is very safe and said to be considerably safer than staying at home.
The dangerous part of a rail trip is walking, cycling, or driving to/from the station.
The loss of a handful of lives in a rail accident is called a disaster, and is enquired into, and discussed for years afterwards, with politicians promising "it must never happen again"
The loss of a similar number of lives in a road crash is called an accident, and is forgotten about by the next day except by those directly affected.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: June 13, 2020, 15:46:02 »

Young sir,

The flattery (?) is appreciated, although wrong on both points.
southwest
« Reply #2409 on: June 13, 2020, 16:23:45 »

On the grounds that 10 years ago, FGW was very heavy handed about safety on trains, constant announcements, leaflets at each seat, posters everywhere, lightsticks.   How much of that is now around?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: June 13, 2020, 18:56:52 »

On the grounds that 10 years ago, FGW (First Great Western) was very heavy handed about safety on trains, constant announcements, leaflets at each seat, posters everywhere, lightsticks.   How much of that is now around?
I must confess I’m not the worlds biggest fan of all things H&S (Health and Safety) related, but I have to say FGW really impressed me with the efforts they made to do whatever they could to improve safety aboard their trains following two terrible accidents and for that they are to be applauded.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: June 13, 2020, 20:59:32 »

The endless announcements instructing one to study the emergency information cards did IMO (in my opinion) give the impression that train travel was risky, and especially risky on FGW (First Great Western) services.

I remember learning a new word when first hearing the automated announcements on the 165/6 - "Emergency information is available in the vestibules". Cue confusion amongst most passengers. "What's a vestibule?" I would often hear.

I first learned about Vestibules when I listened to My ding a ling by Chuck Berry!..
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: June 13, 2020, 23:25:20 »

Merits of glow sticks for use in transport vehicles.
Cheap, under £1 each in bulk.
Reliable.
Simple to use.
The safest known light source, even in he presence of explosives or petrol.
Totally waterproof, work even underwater.

Drawbacks.
Very limited light.
Vulnerable to theft or misuse.
Labour cost of frequent inspection and periodic replacement.

If I was in charge of such matters, I would provide a large number of glow sticks in crew only areas, to be handed out in case of need.
100 in a sealed box are easily inspected for expiry date and intact seal on the box.
Glowsticks are of course totally portable and therefore valuable for evacuations or rescue outside the train.
Whilst the specification for emergency lighting on IETs (Intercity Express Train) sounds good, I do not completely trust it, having noted various other respects in which the new units have been found wanting.
A completely independent source of light not reliant on batteries or computers would be reassuring.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: June 14, 2020, 09:20:25 »

Having had a good look round in one this morning, I can confirm:

* All vehicles have six safety information posters within the saloon (three in the shorter end vehicles), as well as pictograms showing nearest exits, nearest fire extinguisher and SOS points.
*  All vestibules have an emergency equipment poster showing details for that carriage.
*  All emergency equipment cupboards (there are eight on a 9-car unit) have stocks of glow sticks (at least ten in each), along with a whole host of other stuff.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: June 14, 2020, 11:28:30 »

Reassured to hear that glowsticks are provided even if not on public view.
The chances of them being required is probably small, but that is true of emergency equipment in general.

I still don't like IETs (Intercity Express Train), but that is for reasons already stated elsewhere, not safety concerns.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 170
  Print  

Jump to: