Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
Short Run
05:47 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 06:14:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170
  Print  
Author Topic: IETs into passenger service from 16 Oct 2017 and subsequent performance issues  (Read 542627 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: January 31, 2022, 11:30:20 »

I suspect finger trouble, especially when you spot the similarity of the unit numbers. Operation in passenger service is required up to 312 m (12 vehicles). Nothing says longer trains can't operate, but I'd be very surprised if the agreement with Hitachi allowed it. Non-passenger operations, including ECS (Empty Coaching Stock), and in an emergency no doubt recovery with passengers on board too, are required up to 624 m (24 vehicles).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: January 31, 2022, 11:39:01 »

I initially suspected finger trouble as well...and that may well be the case, but 802013 is booked to go empty from Taunton to Stoke Gifford on 5C25 at 20:29 but it has only been allocated on that train as far as Bristol Temple Meads, so if that's the case it'll be in the right place at the right time.

The train that forms 1Z39 is the 16:36 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-TOT which should be a 10-car with the rear five detaching at Exeter, so if it's a 9-car instead (and 802113 is currently allocated to it) then you can probably expect some shuffling about of allocations later today.  I doubt we'll see a 14-car formation tonight.

All part of the fun of being a fleet controller!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 31, 2022, 17:02:40 »

All part of the fun of being a fleet controller!

And it looks like they've now corrected it with a 10-car (802008/022) on the 16:36 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-TOT with 022 continuing on its own after Exeter (as booked) and then returning to Bristol with 802013 attaching there.  That's not booked - but is presumably a balancing move.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2523 on: February 27, 2022, 14:42:52 »

Interesting comment on today's shortforms.
From journeycheck
16:03 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids due 18:16
Facilities on the 16:03 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids due 18:16.
This is due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10.
Further Information
Unfortunately more trains than expected required repair work during overnight inspections and therefore the following services will be short-formed today. This may have an impact if you've reserved seats on any of the services listed. For further advice please speak to the train manager when boarding the train. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause to your journey with us today.

Paddington to Bristol earlier was 10 reduced to 5 cars, but was full and standing!  Surprise!

Just checked and wondered if this ought to be posted in the "Problems with IET (Intercity Express Train)'s" section rather than here.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: February 27, 2022, 15:13:51 »

Especially interesting given that a 9-car is now allocated to it:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:L64539/2022-02-27/detailed#allox_id=0

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2525 on: December 06, 2022, 15:30:39 »

Not seen this before
Journeycheck
12:04 London Paddington to Truro due 16:25
12:04 London Paddington to Truro due 16:25 will be terminated at Plymouth.
It will no longer call at Liskeard, Bodmin Parkway, Lostwithiel, Par, St Austell and Truro.
This is due to a fault occurring when detaching a part of this train.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2526 on: December 06, 2022, 15:32:37 »

Did a trip up to London a month ago, and as we were approaching Plymouth (from Penzance in a 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train)) the Train Manager advised to hold tight as there will be quite a big surge when we couple to the unit in front.
He wasn't wrong - quite a bang!

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2527 on: December 06, 2022, 15:34:37 »

And this from Journeycheck
13:43 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington due 16:14
Facilities on the 13:43 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington due 16:14.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Additional Facilities Information
The doors at the rear of coach B will be locked. Please use other doors.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: December 06, 2022, 15:51:31 »

And this from Journeycheck
13:43 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington due 16:14
Facilities on the 13:43 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington due 16:14.
This is due to a fault on this train.
Additional Facilities Information
The doors at the rear of coach B will be locked. Please use other doors.

I shan't see that as a "bad" without more information. The door could be out of use for any number of reasons unrelated to the reliability of an IET (Intercity Express Train). In any case, a train with one door out of commission is better than no train at all.

Now, please!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: December 06, 2022, 17:51:20 »

I shan't see that as a "bad" without more information. The door could be out of use for any number of reasons unrelated to the reliability of an IET (Intercity Express Train). In any case, a train with one door out of commission is better than no train at all.

A major benefit of the IET fleet is that you can electrically lock a door out of use which then remains out of use but crucially can be opened in the event of an emergency with the egress handle - so they are not physically locked like most other trains.  It means a defective door is less likely to mean cancelling the train or locking a whole carriage out of use.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: December 06, 2022, 19:41:08 »

A major benefit of the IET fleet is that you can electrically lock a door out of use which then remains out of use but crucially can be opened in the event of an emergency with the egress handle - so they are not physically locked like most other trains.  It means a defective door is less likely to mean cancelling the train or locking a whole carriage out of use.

Then I shall see the Journeycheck note as a positive!

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: March 29, 2023, 06:57:32 »

From Journeycheck

09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth due 12:14
Facilities on the 09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth due 12:14.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 19.

Would passengers in the rear 15 coaches please move forward to Coach….  Grin
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: March 29, 2023, 15:51:05 »

Is there really a 19 car set?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2533 on: March 29, 2023, 17:12:54 »

J doubt it, but it’s out again on the 1704 tonight described as 19 cars reduced to 5
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2534 on: March 29, 2023, 17:36:21 »

J doubt it, but it’s out again on the 1704 tonight described as 19 cars reduced to 5

I can see a 5+5+9 working on a Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads service, but where else would the platforms be long enough?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170
  Print  

Jump to: