Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:18:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Portway Parkway Public open: August 01, 2023
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Portway Park and Ride Station  (Read 48594 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2020, 13:49:53 »

I did think that sounded less diplomatic than the grahame I know..!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2020, 16:14:35 »

In the city but not the City. Or to quote Grahame, "the leech-like suburbs".  Cheesy

Hey ... those are NOT my words.   Used by member Reading General ((here)) last November referred back to by three other members, but never my words and probably not wording I would re-use or concur with!
Sorry. For some reason I remembered it as being your phrase.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2020, 17:38:02 »

Not sure if we've heard this news ... I think I may have heard similar before?

Portway train station is delayed again

from Bristol Live this morning

The completion date for Bristol's first new train station in decades has been delayed due to coronavirus.

Portway station, at Portway Park and Ride in Avonmouth, had been due to open later this year.

It secured £1m of government funding last week, but the entire project will cost about three and a half million pounds.

Bristol City Council has since confirmed that the project is no longer on track to open by December, although it is now fully funded.

A spokesperson told Bristol Live: “ The Portway station scheme is fully funded, with the cost of the project - which includes work that has already taken place - being between £3.4-3.6m

“Following some delays due to the pandemic, detailed project design is now progressing, with work set to start on site at the end of this year ahead of completion of construction in the summer of 2021.’’

Oh ... scrolling down ... think it's a retelling of a story from a few years days back ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2020, 17:56:59 »

Not sure if we've heard this news ... I think I may have heard similar before?

Maybe you read it here?  Grin

Report in todays Bristles local daily of another delay to this project but confirms that the project is now fully funded. Yes fully funded at todays costs but how about the inflation that will occur between yesterdays projected completion date and the now newly delayed completion date together with the revelation that design work for the project has not been started yet. Let me put another damper on this project, do they know if they own the land on which the platform will be sited.    😗

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2021, 11:44:09 »

By means that I am unable to fully divulge, I can say with reasonable confidence that the name of the new station will be:

Portway Park and Ride

...which would seem like a very sensible choice!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2021, 11:49:32 »

By means that I am unable to fully divulge, I can say with reasonable confidence that the name of the new station will be:

Portway Park and Ride

...which would seem like a very sensible choice!

Ah - you have been to the GBR (Great British Railways) Signmakers  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2021, 12:08:32 »

I can't say... Cool

XenophonPCDGS

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2021, 12:49:59 »

Just feeling my way around this most informative website. I am from the Cheshire East area. There was a discussion earlier in this thread about the use of the word "parkway" and in the south of Manchester, very many years ago, was a good quality road with the name of Princess Parkway, which in its later stages passed through parkland-type areas. That road now where it passes over the River Mersey now becomes the M56 which passes near to Manchester Airport.

Back on the subject of this thread, which I see has been given a "play on words" thread name, the last month that I heard as a possible railway station opening was December 2021.

Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Sent from my stone monolith using cuneiform and runic symbols
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2021, 13:26:03 »

Back on the subject of this thread, which I see has been given a "play on words" thread name, the last month that I heard as a possible railway station opening was December 2021.

The "pork" in the title is also a reference to the creatures we tend to see flying by whenever an opening date is mentioned - I was around on the campaigning scene when they were hoping to get it open by the end of the 2010s  Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2021, 13:26:31 »

The full 20-year saga is here: https://fosbr.org.uk/timelines/portway-station/

This is to be a single-platform station, on straight and level track. You might very well think it should have been pretty straightforward to build it, XenophonPCDGS, but then you're not from around here!

'Portway Parkway' was mooted as the new station's name for a while. Aside from the obvious tongue-twister, there was also potential for confusing it with Bristol Parkway. 'Portway Station' was also mooted as a name, but given that many Bristolians refer to nearby Bristol Parkway as simply 'Parkway' (it's the original!) that too would have been confusing.

The only thing the new station really serves is the long-established Portway Park and Ride facility. It seems surprising it's taken the powers that be so long to reach the conclusion that it would make sense to name it after that...

Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2021, 13:35:44 »

This is to be a single-platform station, on straight and level track. You might very well think it should have been pretty straightforward to build it, XenophonPCDGS, but then you're not from around here!

'Portway Parkway' was mooted as the new station's name for a while. Aside from the obvious tongue-twister, there was also potential for confusing it with Bristol Parkway. 'Portway Station' was also mooted as a name, but given that many Bristolians refer to nearby Bristol Parkway as simply 'Parkway' (it's the original!) that too would have been confusing.

The only thing the new station really serves is the long-established Portway Park and Ride facility. It seems surprising it's taken the powers that be so long to reach the conclusion that it would make sense to name it after that...

Ooops on my part there - I actually meant to say "I was around on the campaigning scene when they were hoping to get it open by the end of the 2000s"  Grin

One of the reasons that the naming process became such a saga was that the station was originally partly mooted as a replacement for the existing Shirehampton station, and a number of years passed with several variations of "Shirehampton and..." before that notion was wisely dropped.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2021, 22:22:02 »

The "pork" in the title is also a reference to the creatures we tend to see flying by whenever an opening date is mentioned - I was around on the campaigning scene when they were hoping to get it open by the end of the 2010s  Grin

You Johnny-come-lately! I was there when the Lib Dem cabinet member with the transport portfolio Tim Kent announced that it would be open by 2013 at a cost of £400,000. That confident asserrtion must have been made before the Lib Dems lost power in 2011.

Now, please!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2021, 22:54:04 »

You Johnny-come-lately! I was there when the Lib Dem cabinet member with the transport portfolio Tim Kent announced that it would be open by 2013 at a cost of £400,000. That confident asserrtion must have been made before the Lib Dems lost power in 2011.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the correction i made some posts ago  Grin

Ooops on my part there - I actually meant to say "I was around on the campaigning scene when they were hoping to get it open by the end of the 2000s"  Grin

One of the reasons that the naming process became such a saga was that the station was originally partly mooted as a replacement for the existing Shirehampton station, and a number of years passed with several variations of "Shirehampton and..." before that notion was wisely dropped.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2021, 10:57:00 »

I refer the honourable gentleman to the correction i made some posts ago  Grin

I am obliged to my learned/noble/gallant* friend!

(*delete as appropriate)

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2021, 14:23:05 »

FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) is told that work hasn't started yet at Portway Park and Ride station because of 'some additional delays' in getting GRIP5 (detailed design) completed.

Bristol City Council are now waiting for Network Rail to inform them when they will start on site. With an estimated 20 week build, the station 'should be complete by the end of March 2022'.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: