What do I gain from registering? [here]
 tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 02:12:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Portway Parkway Public open: August 01, 2023
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: Portway Park and Ride Station  (Read 48439 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2021, 15:45:52 »

FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) is told that work hasn't started yet at Portway Park and Ride station because of 'some additional delays' in getting GRIP5 (detailed design) completed.

Bristol City Council are now waiting for Network Rail to inform them when they will start on site. With an estimated 20 week build, the station 'should be complete by the end of March 2022'.

Sorry Team Reading Green Park, but I did say that Porkway Partway wouldn't give up their "longest time taken to open a railway station" lead easily!

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2021, 23:15:49 »

The "pork" in the title is also a reference to the creatures we tend to see flying by whenever an opening date is mentioned - I was around on the campaigning scene when they were hoping to get it open by the end of the 2010s  Grin

I am sure I recall the sitting council cabinet member with responsibility for transport at the time (about 2010) saying it would be up and running by 2013, at a total cost of £400,000, right after MetroBust started running and paying back the cost through the charges on bus companies using it.

We've all passed a lot of water under the bridge since then.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2021, 11:03:38 »

Matthew 8:26

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2021, 12:04:03 »

Genesis 7

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2021, 17:27:19 »

I take it that's not a trick of a tail then!....
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2021, 17:49:11 »

I take it that's not a trick of a tail then!....

Or The Lamb Lies Down On Broadmead...

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2021, 14:25:21 »

In the case of MetroBust, designed to overcome the problems of buses getting stuck in traffic, Proverbs 26:11 seems appropriate.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2021, 15:32:53 »

For some reason, a few lines from Act I, Scene III of The Merchant of Venice spring to mind...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2021, 17:10:33 »

For some reason, a few lines from Act I, Scene III of The Merchant of Venice spring to mind...

Most kind. Antonio is indeed a good man.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2021, 16:29:36 »

Anyway enough of this gay banter:

Starting on site at Portway Park and Ride

We have started clearing vegetation and setting up a site compound in preparation for the start of construction on a new railway station at Portway Park & Ride in the new year. We finish on site on 23 December and return on 4 January 2022.

The station is being built on behalf of Bristol City Council and West of England Combined Authority, as part of the MetroWest scheme.

It will link up Portway Park & Ride with a regular train service to Bristol Temple Meads, providing more options for travellers.

The new station is expected to be operational by Summer 2022.

Source: Network Rail, Bristol railway work update, December 2021

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2021, 17:04:11 »

Anyway enough of this gay banter:

Starting on site at Portway Park and Ride

We have started clearing vegetation and setting up a site compound in preparation for the start of construction on a new railway station at Portway Park & Ride in the new year. We finish on site on 23 December and return on 4 January 2022.

The station is being built on behalf of Bristol City Council and West of England Combined Authority, as part of the MetroWest scheme.

It will link up Portway Park & Ride with a regular train service to Bristol Temple Meads, providing more options for travellers.

The new station is expected to be operational by Summer 2022.

Source: Network Rail, Bristol railway work update, December 2021

Hurrah, just as I beginning to find Father Christmas more believable than the notion of Portway ever opening!
I shall raise a little glass to the news later.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2021, 18:07:41 »

Hurrah, just as I beginning to find Father Christmas more believable than the notion of Portway ever opening!

I shall keep the bubbly on ice for now, although now that Network rail are involved, it does look more likely than not that it will happen.

Now, please!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2021, 18:36:25 »

I shall keep the bubbly on ice for now, although now that Network rail are involved, it does look more likely than not that it will happen.

Grin  Grin

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2021, 20:58:52 »

With Red Squirrel's talk of "gay banter" I thought the station had been renamed, Portway Park and Pride.

But it will always be Porkway Partway in our hearts! Good news from Network Rail, whatever they call it.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2022, 11:36:38 »

Some signs of activity here. A site compound has been established on the left (mostly out of shot!), and a blue track safety barrier has been erected alongside running line:

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: