Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:13:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gone - but not gone if you know enough!  (Read 6266 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 13, 2017, 08:17:14 »

I travelled home overnight Wednesday / Thursday on the Caledonian Sleeper / connected to 07:45 off Paddington - the "St David".  On time from Paddington - And stopped even before Royal Oak (overtaken by an underground - how humiliating).  Virtually to a halt just before Twyford.  Severe slack at Sonning Cutting. Crept through Moreton cutting. Result of steady loss of time - 14 late (public timetable) into Swindon.   08:53 for an 08:49 connection to Melksham.   

A Full green ahead of the train as I got off at Swindon suggested that the "Melksham Flyer" had not left just ahead.  However, it wasn't to be seen on the electronic departure board in the circulation area.   Quick shout (friendly one  Wink ) at the guy in the information point "Melksham?" - he took a quick look at his screen - "hurry along to platform 2 - that's under the subway and at the front of the platform".

I did (hurry along - thank goodness I'm getting better and can hurry!) ... not on the screen at the top of the main stairs but dashing around the corner (brisk walk not running on the platform!) there she is.   Screen at platform ends suggests that the 153 is the 09:36 to Cheltenham Spa, but "the knowledge" suggests otherwise ... and sure enough she pulls out at 08:57 - 8 minutes late, after St David has left, and after letting an up freight pass too.

"Smoke and Mirrors"?   Had I not known a little about rail travel, I could have assumed the connection had missed. Why was it gone from the departure boards?   Why had the platform end display been updated early?    Changes made a full four minutes (at least) before it left.

I'm aware that cancelled trains are "lost" from the boards at the time they should have left too, and personally I find this unsettling - it's as if the trains had never existed in the timetable and the railway is glad to was it's hands of those awkward customers who had been waiting for the train.  I would personally prefer cancellations to remain shown for at least a period after they were due to leave, giving people time to be comfortable with the alternatives.  Thoughts on this?

As an aside, although 8 late off Swindon, the TransWilts service arrived right time into Westbury according to Real Time Trains - but that may be a subject for a different thread.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:05:50 »

I would personally prefer cancellations to remain shown for at least a period after they were due to leave, giving people time to be comfortable with the alternatives.  Thoughts on this?

Not for me - I would rather know that the service had gone/been cancelled (ie gone from the departure boards) once the time of the service had passed - so within a minute of booked departure. If it had left, it would disappear, so why not if cancelled?

But to be clear, whether or not a service is cancelled, it should appear on the boards up to the booked time, I agree.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 09:49:08 »

Screen at platform ends suggests that the 153 is the 09:36 to Cheltenham Spa, but "the knowledge" suggests otherwise ... and sure enough she pulls out at 08:57 - 8 minutes late, after St David has left, and after letting an up freight pass too.
I wonder if anyone got on thinking "Ooh, we'll be in Cheltenham nice and early"? Wrong information is worse than no information.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:13:04 »

I was coming up the stairs to catch the following 09:00 to Bristol just as the St David pulled out so must have just missed you.

Seems there was something awry yesterday as from Platform 4 I heard the system announce the 08:49 to Westbury just as the tail lights crossed from the bay to the Down Main - so at least 60 seconds after the doors must have closed and locked.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:59:09 »

I can see the merit of removing a train from the departure indicator VERY SHORTLY before departure so as to avoid people holding the doors and otherwise causing a commotion and delay.
This should in my view be no more 30 seconds to one minute before departure. And that should be ACTUAL departure, not timetabled.

I suspect that the policy of removing late trains from the indicator has originated from some young marketing whizz kid.
Many customers feel that punctuality on the railway is poor. This may be addressed by removing late running services from displays ASAP. The average customer will then see far fewer late departures displayed and conclude that things have improved.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:06:44 »

I think it's far simpler than that - the software is programmed to remove trains very shortly after they are timed to leave - and it needs manual intervention to mark them 'late' or 'delayed' to hold them on the board. Depending on where this is controlled from, I guess it can get missed if that person is engaged elsewhere/doing something more important etc
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: