I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:13:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vaping Allowed on Network Rail Properties  (Read 12186 times)
CJB666

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2017, 09:02:06 »

Got this statement from NR» (Network Rail - home page) staff at Paddington the other day when I complained about passengers smoking on the non-smoking side of the main entrance road. They have been told to move real smokers to the smoking side, but apparently vapers are not deemed to be smoking and may vape anywhere on NR property. What next vaping on trains too?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 09:12:41 »

Not sure that is right. There are many notices in and around stations that include vaping or 'electronic cigarettes' usually, banning both.

However, I have always wondered whether vaping has ever legally been included in the relevant byelaw that bans smoking? Anyone got a link to this byelaw that is current? Maybe someone challenged NR» (Network Rail - home page) on this, so until sorted, they've been told to leave the vapers alone?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 12:03:18 »

Railway Byelaw 3 says:

"No person shall smoke or carry a lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, match, lighter or other lighted item on any part of the railway on or near which there is a notice indicating that smoking is not allowed."

The Byelaw has not been amended to include vaping, which is neither smoking nor a lighted item.

British Transport Police are of the belief that vaping on trains or in stations is not a criminal offence, nor is it covered by existing Byelaws. They say:

"An e-cigarette does not fall within the definition of a lighted item and so would not be covered by Byelaw 3"

However, if someone who has been asked to stop vaping refuses to do so they maybe commiting (high evidential threshold though) a breach of Byelaw 6(8 ):

"No person shall molest or wilfully interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person on the railway."

BTP (British Transport Police) say:

"The use of an e-cigarette would not normally be covered by Byelaw 6(8 ) unless we can evidence that the interference is wilful. For example, where after a complaint from another passenger, the individual continues to use the e-cigarette. We would need to ensure we are able to obtain sufficient evidence to support the prosecution."

In summary, vaping on trains and stations is not, prima facie, an offence.

Attached is a FOI (Freedom of Information) response from BTP regarding vaping on railway property.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 13:31:59 »

As I thought.....thanks!
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 13:56:55 »

Railway Byelaw 3 says:

"No person shall smoke or carry a lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette, match, lighter or other lighted item on any part of the railway on or near which there is a notice indicating that smoking is not allowed."

The Byelaw has not been amended to include vaping, which is neither smoking nor a lighted item.

British Transport Police are of the belief that vaping on trains or in stations is not a criminal offence, nor is it covered by existing Byelaws. They say:

"An e-cigarette does not fall within the definition of a lighted item and so would not be covered by Byelaw 3"

However, if someone who has been asked to stop vaping refuses to do so they maybe commiting (high evidential threshold though) a breach of Byelaw 6(8 ):

"No person shall molest or wilfully interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person on the railway."

"The use of an e-cigarette would not normally be covered by Byelaw 6(8 ) unless we can evidence that the interference is wilful. For example, where after a complaint from another passenger, the individual continues to use the e-cigarette. We would need to ensure we are able to obtain sufficient evidence to support the prosecution."

Attached is a FOI (Freedom of Information) response from BTP regarding vaping on railway property.

I am fairly certain I have heard a "human" announcement asking a passenger on a station platform to refrain from using an e-cigarette on station property. I think it was Newark (North Gate) but use so many stations at the moment it could be anywhere.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 14:04:19 »

Yes, operators have generally lumped e-cigs in with the smoking rule - indeed, as an eg, Chiltern even have it spelt out on their website.

I challenged their ability to do this legally, but I think they are relying on peoples good faith in general. Now there's some proof that the BTP (British Transport Police) won't step in, I might push it further (except that I hate the smell of these vapers - anything from bubble gum to strawberry smell)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 14:07:03 »

I challenged their ability to do this legally

just because vaping is legal doesn't make it illegal to ask people to stop.  Plenty of signs ask people to stop doing things which are perfectly legal.  And most people comply.  Which is usually sufficient. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 14:13:36 »

If you want to *ban* something that is generally legal elsewhere (outside buildings re smoking & vaping), then to be able to enforce it (in this case, BTP (British Transport Police) ejecting you from said private land where you have implied permission to be there), you need a legal ability to do so.

Hence the railway bylaw number 3. But that only covers smoking.

So yes, they can ask - not demand or tell you not to).
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 14:38:40 »

The primary legislation under which the bylaws are allowed to be made by statutory instrument is the 1964 Transport Act, viz section 67 1(c):

"with respect to the smoking of tobacco in railway carriages and elsewhere and the prevention of nuisances;"

I guess vaping could come under the prevention of nuisances under a suitably-worded bylaw in the future. Or is it already covered under not carrying anything that 'may threaten, annoy, soil or damage any person or any property' ... maybe a bit of a stretch without being specifically mentioned though and whether it can be considered to be potentially dangerous for Bylaw 2.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 15:04:42 by didcotdean » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 14:54:08 »

Tim

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 16:04:06 »

They can ask, demand or tell you not to.  But you can ignore them.  Simply telling a lie ("Vaping on these premises is illegal",  "you must stop that, it is illegal", "I shall call the police if you continue vaping") is not in itself a crime.   
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 17:01:26 »

If it becomes a problem, and BTP (British Transport Police) are routinely telling TOCs (Train Operating Company) and Network Rail that they can only request that people stop vaping, the TOCs/NR» (Network Rail - home page) may lobby the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) for a Byelaw change.

However, changing a law, even just a Byelaw, is a long drawn out process. The status quo of a reasonable request to desist is more likely to stay.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 21:12:27 »

As one of the odd coincidences in life I was at the cinema early this evening and the GWR (Great Western Railway) Famous Five advert was played ... followed by one for a supplier of vaping paraphernalia. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 16:48:21 »

They can ask, demand or tell you not to.  But you can ignore them.  Simply telling a lie ("Vaping on these premises is illegal",  "you must stop that, it is illegal", "I shall call the police if you continue vaping") is not in itself a crime.  

My point being that many folks will assume its included within the bylaw....
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 22:07:10 »

Online vaping shop: Can I use my vaping device on a train in the UK (United Kingdom)?

Dunno how up to date it is.

Marlburian
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: