Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:16:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Teignmouth Footbridge goes for refurbishment  (Read 10712 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2017, 18:45:29 »

For around a year the footbridge at Teignmouth has been closed

...and replaced by a mass of scaffolding spanning the tracks but open to the elements

Last month the old structure was craned out and taken away to be refurbished.

Work is now carrying on at the station in preparation for its return

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 23:05:15 »

I hope they can do that at my local station too. The bridge has been rusting away since long before I moved there in 2010. The local news site has also had a feature on it recently. The worst of it is on the bridge itself rather than the stairs or supporting pillars. You can't really see that from the photos taken.

BTW (by the way) I have no fears walking across that bridge but others are allegedly very worried for their lives.....

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/bridge-bookham-train-station-rusted-13628671

A Grade II listed footbridge at Bookham Station has been described as “unsafe” and “rusting away” by residents who are calling for it to be renovated.

The iron-clad bridge, which is the only route for commuters to go between platforms, has been a concern for more than five years with one woman saying she felt it “move under foot”.

One of the oldest bridges of its kind, the bridge dates back to 1885 and was listed in 1990 but has been in steady decline since the last time any maintenance work is believed to have been done, ten years ago.

Keith Reynolds, 72, is the Bookham Residents Association transport officer and says the group has had several people contact them about concerns. He contacted Network Rail about it earlier this week but is yet to get a response.

Mr Reynolds, of Sole Farm Road, said: “It's deteriorating and people have said it’s not safe to walk over.
"It’s very rusty looking now and even if we had a royal visit coming they would be able to make it look good very easily.

“It has [become worse] more recently but it’s been an issue for a number of years. We have noticed bits of the bridge [developing puddles] and we want something done about it before an accident happens. They need to do more preventative work.”
Mr Reynolds said that when Network Rail have had to do work on the nearby railway tunnel, which runs underneath Great Bookham Common, they have closed the station on Sundays and he sees this as an option for maintenance work on the bridge.

He added: “If it isn’t safe then people can’t get over to the second platform and what are they going to do, walk up the road, over the common, through the mud and around?

"I know it’s only a branch line but it’s a service people rely on and [the infrastructure] needs to be constantly maintained.”

Shirley Bullen, 57, of Little Bookham Street, is one of those who wants to see the bridge renovated.

She said: “It’s disgusting on Network Rail, they shouldn’t be allowing a listed bridge to get in such a bad state.

“I’m not shocked because I’ve see it rust but it’s appalling that they think it’s acceptable to not constantly look after it.
"I’m not an engineer but some bits look like they are cracking and overgrowth has sprouted through the bottom step.”

A Network Rail spokesman confirmed that they have “been contacted by a member of the public and are looking into the matter”.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 23:27:09 »

I hope they can do that at my local station too. The bridge has been rusting away since long before I moved there in 2010. The local news site has also had a feature on it recently. The worst of it is on the bridge itself rather than the stairs or supporting pillars. You can't really see that from the photos taken.

Yes, I'd noticed that they (whoever they are in this context) seem to have lost faith in the concept of "paint" as way of protecting iron and steel.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 05:34:12 »

BTW (by the way) I have no fears walking across that bridge but others are allegedly very worried for their lives.....

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/bridge-bookham-train-station-rusted-13628671

I have recently seen a lot worse than Bookham (based on the pictures) ... not in England, but still Network Rail.   Whether Bookham could do with maintenance now before it gets much worse, or whether occasional massive repairs are better than ongoing smaller ones, I would not like to speculate.

My pictures from somewhere else:

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:50:22 »

Grahame, perhaps you should report that to the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and H&S (Health and Safety) Executive...... Huh
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 10:02:38 »

Grahame, perhaps you should report that to the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) and H&S (Health and Safety) Executive...... Huh

Unsure - I'm no expert.  I'm following on from an article on Bookham footbridge which none-experts feel in unsafe, but I'm sure the experts have looked at and considered safe;  any comment / report I make on the one pictured runs the probability of being a false report - there were significant signs of some recent patching which suggest to me that the bridge is in someone's viewfinder.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 11:20:40 »

I get the impression that there are a lot of poorly-maintained footbridges in the SomewhereelseRail area, having watched All The Stations...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 12:01:45 »

With the GWR (Great Western Railway) footbridge at St Austell now replaced and closed, I do wonder if there is any mileage in taking it off site for refurbishment and reuse elsewhere. 
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 12:04:23 »

Pilning would welcome it with open arms!....
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 18:49:01 »

Judging by the work going on in the car park at Teignmouth it looks like the footbridge is about to be put back into place.

Kernow Otter
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 20:55:13 »

What gets me is that it is obviously more than possible to do exceptional work to restore these magnificent structures, fit for the 21st century, yet given the slightest excuse bridges such as the one at St Austell are to be removed and given away, when with a little thought they could sensibly and aesthetically be reused elsewhere on the network.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 21:10:46 »

What gets me is that it is obviously more than possible to do exceptional work to restore these magnificent structures, fit for the 21st century, yet given the slightest excuse bridges such as the one at St Austell are to be removed and given away, when with a little thought they could sensibly and aesthetically be reused elsewhere on the network.

Just because it it possible in one case does not mean it is possible (economically) in another.  It depends on a number of factors including the nature and condition of the particular structure.
Henry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 11:20:03 »

I am not one to admit to liking the desire to restore old structure's that are well past their best.

However in this case, having seen the work carried out, I am very impressed with the restoration.
 I hope  the station user's at Teignmouth appreciate the work carried out, without changing the colour scheme with
 spray cans or showing an 'aversion' to glass.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 13:38:58 »

Overnight the bridge has been craned back into place although not yet in use.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 14:10:20 »

Overnight the bridge has been craned back into place although not yet in use.

Doesn't look as if its been craned back high enough for wires to pass under at some future date. Roll Eyes
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: