Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:42:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Carnival parades & safety at them  (Read 17534 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2017, 23:59:30 »

Tis the season for fairs and carnivals. My home town, Chard, held its annual carnival procession tonight. One of many carnivals on two circuits* across Somerset in the autumn.

The Chard procession passes right by my flat.

Sadly, tonight's Chard Carnival was marred by a serious incident at the end of the procession. Someone fell from a cart and was trapped under it. The scene is still cordoned off as I type and the Air Ambulance has just departed.

*There are two Somerset Carnival circuits. The smaler South Somerset Carnivals Federation which is (2017 dates): Wellington (30/9), Ilminster (7/10), Chard (14/10), Taunton (21/10).

And the larger Somerset Guy Fawkes Carnival Association circuit starting with Bridgwater (4/11),  then Highbridge & Burnham (6/11), Weston Super Mare (10/11), North Petherton (11/11), Shepton Mallet (15/11), Wells (17/11), and finally Glastonbury (18/11).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 00:05:39 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 14:27:34 »

Sad to hear of the incident at Chard.  Our (Melksham) carnival which happens earlier in the year has tightened up on health and safety in recent years and I believe that it's as a result of this that the number of floats has plummeted.  As introduced, the new rules required a "wheel marshall" for each wheel on a vehicle, cars excepted.   That was the year that TransWilts took all the things you could take on a train in the parade, and we managed to get a dispensation for the pram (which required 4 marshals in addition to the pusher) and for the bicycle (which should have had two dedicated marshals).

In all seriousness, where something out of the ordinary is being done, there are extra (out of the ordinary) risks; this accident (latest reports state of the lady concerned having severe leg damage and being critically ill in Southmead) shows the dangers and is a reminder to us all when we do unusual things.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 14:40:17 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) have picked up the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-41627730

A much fuller report from the local press:

http://www.chardandilminsternews.co.uk/news/15597052.UPDATE__Woman_gets_trapped_under_carnival_float_at_Chard_Carnival/

I'm hearing that the person involved was a marshal rather than someone on the cart. They passed out and fell into the path of the cart. This is just from uncorroborated conversation with neighbours and those clearing the 'Road Closed' signs and cones early this morning. When I went out with the dog at 7.30am the cart was still where it stopped last night. Police were still investigating. Thoughts are with the injured lady.

Mods. Perhaps split off this Chard carnival stuff from post #22 to a more appropriate board. My fault but it's not really Lighter Side stuff.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 15:19:21 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 15:46:44 »

Mods. Perhaps split off this Chard carnival stuff from post #22 to a more appropriate board. My fault but it's not really Lighter Side stuff.

Split as suggested - noone's fault that we spawned a very serious side-subject.   Thanks for the nudge to split from
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18844.0

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 16:39:08 »

So, H&S (Health and Safety) needs to consider marshals safety as well as those acrively taking part. Not sure anything could be done for this lady if as reported, but still.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 18:20:39 »

This must have become a more serious issue when people started replacing farm carts with assorted flatbed trucks. Bigger crowds of outsiders, not knowing what to expect, probably add to that.

I recall sometime in the early 80s our company float being firmly directed out of the Linlithgow Marches procession after one length of the High Street by the police. The full route goes three times round the Cross Well in the middle of town (as well as seven times the length of the High Street), which is where the biggest crowds are. As our vehicle (borrowed by the usual mysterious process) was rather wide - almost a low loader - that was certainly the right decision, even if we were a bit peeved at the time.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 19:55:27 »

With the Somerset Carnivals, strict rules need to be followed for large carts. Weight, length, width, height, braking efficiency, competent person and so on. Vehicle Special Orders are required.

There are also limits on the number of people a cart is allowed to carry. All riders are advised to wear approved safety tethers, this is not mandatory but should be subject to risk assessment. No riders should have their feet more than 10' above ground. Each cart requires marshals walking alongside, at least one of whom must be fire trained. Health & Safety briefings are held with all participants prior to the start of a procession.

Carnival clubs entering processions must have Public Liability Insurance.

Sadly, as in any heavily regulated activity, incidents to occur, but everything possible is done to mitigate. The rules have proved too onerous for many Carnival clubs, who have either folded or scaled back their entries.

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/advice/vehicles-and-roads/vehicle-special-order-for-carnivals/

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 20:04:49 »

With the Somerset Carnivals ...

Sadly, as in any heavily regulated activity, incidents to occur, but everything possible is done to mitigate. The rules have proved too onerous for many Carnival clubs, who have either folded or scaled back their entries.

The folding and scaling back is not limited to Somerset ...

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 16:55:44 »

An update on the woman injured at Chard Carnival, from Chard & Ilminster News:

Family of woman injured at Chard Carnival thank public for 'support and kindness'

FAMILY and friends of the woman who sustained serious injuries in a freak accident at Chard Carnival have thanked everyone for their support.

The woman, who suffered life-changing injuries in the accident on Saturday, October 14, 2017, is still recovering at Southmead Hospital in Bristol although it is hoped she will soon be transferred to Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton in order to be nearer her loved ones in Chard.

She was a member of the road crew of the Chard-based Eclipse Carnival Club when she got trapped underneath the club’s float at the end of the parade route in Tapstone Road by the Tesco store.

Two weeks on from the accident and her family have thanked everyone for their kindness in what has brought the Chard and Carnival community together.

“We would like to thank Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, the Coastguard Air Ambulance, Avon and Somerset Police, Eclipse Carnival Club and other Carnival Clubs for all their help and support and to the general public for their kindness,” said a family statement.

“We would also like to thank Manor Court Primary School and Holyrood Academy in Chard for its support at this difficult time.”

The family has still decided to remain anonymous, while they have also yet to publicly divulge the full extent of the injuries sustained in the dreadful accident.

The woman is still in a stable condition, but family and friends have been amazed and truly humbled at her bravery, courage and sense of humour.

“She is still pulling jokes and trying to remain upbeat,” said a family friend.

Eclipse Carnival Club members were left devastated by the accident and had been thinking about hanging up their costumes for the remainder of this Carnival season because of the terrible events.

But their friend and Carnival colleague has had none of it and has demanded that they take to the Somerset County Guy Fawkes Carnival Circuit – starting with the big one at Bridgwater on Saturday (November 4, 2017).

“She doesn’t want us to stop just because of her,” said a spokesman for Eclipse CC. “We had been thinking about stopping because of what happened, but now after what she has said we will hopefully be there at the start at Bridgwater Carnival"

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 14:48:00 »

Whilst being run over is the obvious risk, it is by no means the only risk.
I recall an incident in which a number of persons at a carnival received "significant" painful damage to the eyes from ultra violet light.

The published reports were short on technical detail, but I surmise the following

The carnival float was equipped with a number of high power "black light" ultra violet lamps, these may be seen in the video of the event. Such lamps contain an inner discharge tube and an outer bulb made of Woods Glass, this outer bulb blocks most of the dangerous short wave UV but passes the longer wavelengths that are relatively safe. Such lamps are reasonably safe if used with common sense and are widely used for special effects in the entertainment industry.
Unfortunately, it would appear that rainfall during the event shattered the outer bulbs, but left the inner discharge tube working and emitting dangerous levels of short wave ultra violet.
There would also be a risk of dangerous electric shock under such circumstances.

IMPORTANT the wording in blue is my opinion and speculation, informed speculation and opinion IMO (in my opinion), but not AFAIK (as far as I know) officially confirmed.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 16:40:04 »

Just been reminded by that latest post that there was an update last week in the local press regarding the incident at Chard Carnival back in October 2017.

The lady concerned had to have a leg amputated, but is recovering well. She hopes to be walking again soon. She recently attended a presentation night at Chard Guildhall where around £5,500, raised on Carnival night, was given out to an array of local groups and organisations. Among those receiving donations were the First Responders, St John Ambulance, and Fire Service who were all involved in the complex incident that night. The Fire Service would normally pass donations on to their Benevolent Fund, but in light of events that night instead decided to pass their donation on to the First Responders.

Devon & Somerset Air Ambulance and the Coastguard Association also received donations. It was a Coastguard helicopter who transported the injured marshal to hospital.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 21:01:58 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 21:26:48 »

Chard Carnival 2018 is underway, passing my abode as I type.

Three of the largest carts this year went with a circus theme, reflecting the success of the 'Greatest Show On Earth' movie.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2018, 21:50:07 »

Quite impressive for a small town...…...and purple really suits you BNM!  Wink
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 22:32:34 »

Happy to report that this year's Chard Carnival passed off without incident.

Well, except for the the two drunk Brummies dragged out the bushes behind the Tesco petrol station. Carted away singing by the BIB. Apparently they were attempting to get onto the roof of the petrol station shop.

More pics and videos to follow.

(Oh, and has something gone wrong with the 'like' button? My liking of the previous post has registered four times. TGs response was good, but not that good! Tongue)

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 07:58:44 »

(Oh, and has something gone wrong with the 'like' button? My liking of the previous post has registered four times. TGs response was good, but not that good! Tongue)

A single incident ... I have seen a double-like once or twice before, but four is extra special.   Happened all in the same second at
GMT: Saturday, 13 October 2018 21:27:26
Your time zone: Saturday, 13 October 2018 22:27:26 GMT+01:00 DST

"Like" is done by Javascript and if this were a big worry on the current system, I could add it a duplicate eliminator; it probably occurs when there's routing issues usually hidden from us on the Internet and the request reaches out server before it can register the change and send back a confirmation.  With major software change planned at Christmas, not a good use of my time to fix it and at present  I think I'm the only one who could even half-easily do so.

Edit to add - I have fixed the data and removed the three excess lykes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 08:09:27 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: