Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:15 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:15:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: New Train  (Read 16875 times)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 16:50:37 »

This may not be correct, but my impression was that although the unmuzzling of the 800s brought their total power up to the level of the 802s but that they were still subject to acceleration restriction not applicable to 802s. 

I am ready to be corrected,   
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 23:57:48 »

Out of interest, do you think its likely in the future that the Reading to Paddington section will be increased from 125mph to 140mph, I know its happening on East Coast, but I'm sure GWR (Great Western Railway) wanted to look at doing it too!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2017, 02:02:55 »

Is a speed increase happening on the East Coast Main Line?

As far as I'm aware there are aspirations, but no firm plans yet. In cab signalling is being fitted to trains on the ECML (East Coast Main Line), but Network Rail haven't committed to other infrastructure improvements to allow speed increases. The focus is on line capacity improvements, not top speed increases.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:46:34 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2017, 07:19:21 »

The focus is on line capacity improvements, not top speed increases.

Signalling changes - ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.)? - which remove what I call "absolute block" but probably has a more technical name - should allow a closer headway between trains.   Big question as to what happens at each end of such close headway sections; Reading "sprays" them out better than they use to.  Flat crossings in and out of Paddington platforms may become the limiter - very tight at times already; coming in last night, good run all the way up from Wiltshire until a signal halt outside the terminal.

Another capacity increase can be gained by longer trains, but there gets to be a point at which the benefits drop away; already reports of 5+5 IETs (Intercity Express Train) with imbalanced loads.  I heard reports where 10 to 12 car increases have been made on London other lines that the two extra carriages have been added at the outer (country) end and not at the London end where the trains overcrowd and it's really needed, and of course longer trains take longer to pass over junctions and through speed restriction sections. Again at Paddington , there are issues as to how you could lengthen all but a few platforms.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2017, 10:00:04 »

Sometimes lower overall linespeeds mean increased capacity as braking distances are shorter and signal sections can be closer together.  The lines south of London are a good example of that.  Same applies to ETCS (European Train Control System).

The Southern Railway discovered that having lines paired by direction (i.e. UP SLOW/UP FAST (Federation Against Software Theft)/DOWN FAST/DOWN SLOW) was the best option for open stretches of main line, but paired by use (i.e. UP FAST/DOWN FAST/UP SLOW/DOWN SLOW) worked better for capacity at the approach to major terminal stations (a good example being the switch from one method to the other at Wimbledon Flyover on the SWML (South Western Mail Line)).

Whoops, topic creep........ Roll Eyes

Note to Grahame: The signalling control element of ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) is ETCS https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Train_Control_System
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 17:22:09 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2017, 10:13:28 »

The focus is on line capacity improvements, not top speed increases.

Signalling changes - ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.)? - which remove what I call "absolute block" but probably has a more technical name - should allow a closer headway between trains.   Big question as to what happens at each end of such close headway sections; Reading "sprays" them out better than they use to.  Flat crossings in and out of Paddington platforms may become the limiter - very tight at times already; coming in last night, good run all the way up from Wiltshire until a signal halt outside the terminal.

Another capacity increase can be gained by longer trains, but there gets to be a point at which the benefits drop away; already reports of 5+5 IETs (Intercity Express Train) with imbalanced loads.  I heard reports where 10 to 12 car increases have been made on London other lines that the two extra carriages have been added at the outer (country) end and not at the London end where the trains overcrowd and it's really needed, and of course longer trains take longer to pass over junctions and through speed restriction sections. Again at Paddington , there are issues as to how you could lengthen all but a few platforms.
Imbalanced loads? As in one 5-car section is crowded, the other empty? Or imbalanced in some other way?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2017, 10:59:00 »

Coming along the down main out of Paddington to Reading, in a non-stop Turbo (at full chat) the other day, when a 2 x 800 set passed us going up. Can't say at what speed, but it was shifting and passed us very quickly.

Very noticeable how much less buffet/air disturbance there was from the 800's compared to the HST (High Speed Train) that passed us a few minutes later.

If nothing else, I guess aerodynamics have improved in the last 40 years!
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2017, 11:15:45 »

I heard reports where 10 to 12 car increases have been made on London other lines that the two extra carriages have been added at the outer (country) end and not at the London end where the trains overcrowd and it's really needed

Grin Grin
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 11:19:15 »

Imbalanced loads? As in one 5-car section is crowded, the other empty? Or imbalanced in some other way?

Everyone sat on the left, causing the train to list over to that side  Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2017, 16:33:54 »

Yes to the first, no to the second.   Crammed at London end, space at country end.

I WAS once on the paddle steamer on the Clyde and the Captain announced we were passing the royal yacht on the left hand side ... everyone rushed over and the next request was for some people to move back as we had lifted the right paddle wheel out of the water!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 17:04:16 »

Yes to the first, no to the second.   Crammed at London end, space at country end.

The HST (High Speed Train)'s are often the same, though at least the contents can be re-distributed within a little easier than with a 2x5 IET (Intercity Express Train).

I have noticed if there is an imbalance on a Turbo leaving PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains), it's usually the other way round, country end busy, London end quiet(er).
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 18:38:21 »

That won't please the Yorkshire man I met after his first trip on the Class 800. He told me "Well they're not Voyagers" which was apparently a good thing. Also said the seats are "Rock-Ard" and he didn't like them so I doubt he'd manage the trip to Penzance comfortably.

Did he ask the trolley operator "Ow much???"

(I come from Lancashire).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 19:27:51 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 18:52:08 »

Coming along the down main out of Paddington to Reading, in a non-stop Turbo (at full chat) the other day, when a 2 x 800 set passed us going up. Can't say at what speed, but it was shifting and passed us very quickly.

Very noticeable how much less buffet/air disturbance there was from the 800's compared to the HST (High Speed Train) that passed us a few minutes later.

If nothing else, I guess aerodynamics have improved in the last 40 years!

Now, would there be anything about that in the requirement, do you think? Of course there is!
3.17 Aerodynamics & Pressure Effects
TS361
The internal pressure changes within IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) Trains must not exceed 4kPa over a 4 second period under any conditions on the IEP Network, including operation in single bore/track tunnels and 2 single IEP Trains passing in twin track tunnels.
TS1994
In addition to complying with the requirements set out in the TSI, the IEP Trains must exert no more than 1.44kPa peak to peak pressure on a train on an adjacent track when the IEP Train is travelling at all speeds on a windless day in open air on open track.
TS1995
The IEP Trains shall meet the requirements of Railway Group Standard GM/RT2142, Issue 3, August 2009, ‘Resistance of Railway Vehicles to Roll Over in Gales’ without modifications to the infrastructure.

Could you judge if the pressure from that passing HST was more than 1.44 kPa peak to peak? (That's the weight of two forum members per square metre, if that helps. The right two, obviously.) Maybe not.

I understand that it is reducing the pressure "slam" going into or out of a tunnel, in particular, that has led to trains getting pointier noses recently. Though in the case of GWR (Great Western Railway)'s 800s, it may have more to do with the veracity of adverts for them.
1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2017, 22:44:14 »

That won't please the Yorkshire man I met after his first trip on the Class 800. He told me "Well they're not Voyagers" which was apparently a good thing. Also said the seats are "Rock-Ard" and he didn't like them so I doubt he'd manage the trip to Penzance comfortably.

Did he ask the trolley operator "Ow much???"

(I come from Lancashire).

Don't know about that Wink but he didn't fancy the "Bloody instant stuff" when asked if he wanted anything from the trolley Grin. I suspect he wasn't offered a filter coffee given he said he didn't buy anything.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2017, 23:57:48 »

Sometimes lower overall linespeeds mean increased capacity as braking distances are shorter and signal sections can be closer together.  The lines south of London are a good example of that.  Same applies to ETCS (European Train Control System).

The Southern Railway discovered that having lines paired by direction (i.e. UP SLOW/UP FAST (Federation Against Software Theft)/DOWN FAST/DOWN SLOW) was the best option for open stretches of main line, but paired by use (i.e. UP FAST/DOWN FAST/UP SLOW/DOWN SLOW) worked better for capacity at the approach to major terminal stations (a good example being the switch from one method to the other at Wimbledon Flyover on the SWML (South Western Mail Line)).

Whoops, topic creep........ Roll Eyes

Note to Grahame: The signalling control element of ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) is ETCS https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Train_Control_System

That is true about slower speeds, but then if trains are faster then more services can run just a greater distances apart. I wouldn't be surprised in the future if the old Paddington Parcel depot(now a car park) is made into platforms. As for the up down thing, the Great Western is split with the fast lines together, slow lines together, all the way from Paddington to Didcot. The issue is mainly down to trains coming in late, staying in Paddington longer than booked, and then causing further delays. With the new IET (Intercity Express Train)'s taking over HSTs (High Speed Train) timings should improve(which is being seen, and will get better as time goes on) however, the timetable change next year could be an issue, as whilst its taking full benefit of the IET acceleration, is it leaving enough time for a late service to catch up when running late?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: