Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:16:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Twerton Station Facelift  (Read 10451 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 10:40:07 »

Track capacity will also be an issue, even more so with no sign of electrification between Bath and Bristol. If you are going to reopen any station along this stretch of line Saltford is the way to go.

I am inclined to agree with you.   However, the originator of the idea has put together a video to explain his case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4wo3tsknKA

I remain unconvinced, I'm afraid. 

It appears that his answer to track capacity is to stop all trains except the London expresses there, with 4 trains an hour from Bristol leaving as express followed by stopper.   I can't imagine that passengers on the Portsmouth trains would be thrilled with extra stops along the way.

Sean rightly identifies a very heavy bus traffic indeed from outside the proposed station into Bath - but I suspect that a lot of that is because First's depot is just across the road and a lot of the buses (as he admits) aren't actually carrying (m)any passengers.

We can discuss walking distance between stations (Oldfield Park and Twerton) but the real measure needs to be the relative distances from people's starting / ending points (homes, workplaces, etc) to each of the stations.  I wouldn't expect people to be walking from one to the other and perhaps it was misleading shorthand of mine to look at how far apart they were.

Between Bristol and Swindon, I would like to see some new stations and perhaps the time is right to co-ordinate a list of aspirations and come up with some initial thoughts as to what each would offer.   If you were to take every location that's been talked about, you would have stops at Bristol Temple Meads, St Anne's Park, Keynsham, Pixash Lane, Saltford, Twerton, Oldfield Park, Bath Spa, Bathampton Meadows, Box, Corsham, Thingley Junction, Chippenham, Royal Wootton Bassett and Swindon.  Of course, if you electrified the line and added a loop at either Bath Spa or Chippenham to let the express overtake the local train, this could work for the second half of the 21st Century.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 12:41:18 »

Between Bristol and Swindon, I would like to see some new stations and perhaps the time is right to co-ordinate a list of aspirations and come up with some initial thoughts as to what each would offer.   If you were to take every location that's been talked about, you would have stops at Bristol Temple Meads, St Anne's Park, Keynsham, Pixash Lane, Saltford, Twerton, Oldfield Park, Bath Spa, Bathampton Meadows, Box, Corsham, Thingley Junction, Chippenham, Royal Wootton Bassett and Swindon.  Of course, if you electrified the line and added a loop at either Bath Spa or Chippenham to let the express overtake the local train, this could work for the second half of the 21st Century.

Wootton Bassett is urgently needed, the road traffic into Swindon from there is appalling. 

I would add a suggestion of a Swindon West station near the large employment area immediately to the north of the line near the site of the former Hay Lane Signal Box (near M4 Jn 16).  This is also within walking distance of a large part of the West Swindon housing areas. 
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 12:47:39 »

So that's another 4 stations suggested between Swindon & Bristol. Hmmm.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 10:32:46 »

We can discuss walking distance between stations (Oldfield Park and Twerton) but the real measure needs to be the relative distances from people's starting / ending points (homes, workplaces, etc) to each of the stations.  I wouldn't expect people to be walking from one to the other and perhaps it was misleading shorthand of mine to look at how far apart they were.
Yes, distance from destinations is relevant. It might be that Twerton is a more useful site than Oldfield Park for more people, but I can't see both working; one or the other, and then the advantage would have to be pretty significant to justify the costs of both rebuilding Twerton and closing Oldfield Pk.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 09:11:27 »

Lisa and I happened to be picking something up very close to the old Twerton station building yesterday, and I did myself a quick reminder of what was there ... also went up the back streets to Oldfield Park station and had a mosey around to get a feel for one of those places that's so close to home but I hadn't previously taken much of a look at.

The total appropriateness of the location of Oldfield Park station as a live-near-walk station shines out.  Narrow winding streets from the days of the horse and cart, limited parking, highish density but very pleasant character housing all within a very short distance indeed of the station.  Didn't have total time to explore, but a footpath headed off unsignposted towards Twerton (but maybe just a link to the next road), and another headed off along the edge of railway property towards Bath Spa add to the foot catchment.   The "near this station" map with its 5 and 10 minute walking circles shows Twerton as about an 8 minute walk.

Off Twerton topic, I noted that the four week engineering poster expired on Friday and in desperation someone's put up laminated A4 sheets with tape and cable ties (?) telling of no trains on Sunday, and giving times and locations of rail replacement buses.  Sad (yet glad in some ways) to have it confirmed that we at Melksham are not the only ones with these sorts of issues ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 13:29:17 »

Lisa and I happened to be picking something up very close to the old Twerton station building yesterday, and I did myself a quick reminder of what was there ... also went up the back streets to Oldfield Park station and had a mosey around to get a feel for one of those places that's so close to home but I hadn't previously taken much of a look at.

The total appropriateness of the location of Oldfield Park station as a live-near-walk station shines out.  Narrow winding streets from the days of the horse and cart, limited parking, highish density but very pleasant character housing all within a very short distance indeed of the station.  Didn't have total time to explore, but a footpath headed off unsignposted towards Twerton (but maybe just a link to the next road), and another headed off along the edge of railway property towards Bath Spa add to the foot catchment.   The "near this station" map with its 5 and 10 minute walking circles shows Twerton as about an 8 minute walk.

Off Twerton topic, I noted that the four week engineering poster expired on Friday and in desperation someone's put up laminated A4 sheets with tape and cable ties (?) telling of no trains on Sunday, and giving times and locations of rail replacement buses.  Sad (yet glad in some ways) to have it confirmed that we at Melksham are not the only ones with these sorts of issues ...

Yes Oldfield Park definitely has those sort of issues as well...

The unsignposted* footpath that heads off towards Twerton leads to the next road, Bellotts Road, and there are paths from there towards Twerton, but the routes are neither obvious nor direct. To get to Twerton High Street area would involve you walking through a convoluted housing estate on a number of estate paths and some local roads.

Oldfield Park is, as you say, ideally located for a large population living round it, which is why it is so well used (far more well used that station usage figures show, for reasons that have been explained on other threads). However, that area has rapidly become a home for students at the two universities (now accounts for a high percentage of the local population, and in my road it is about 50% student houses and 50% more permanent residents) and while the station is used by students for getting home at end of term or for visits to Bristol, they don't have need for it to reach their universities. If that demographic change hadn't happened in the last 20 years, Oldfield Park would probably have a far larger number of commuters (and as it is, it can have up to 100 for each rush hour train).

I will comment separately on the suitability of having a Twerton station.

* most footpaths in Bath are unsignposted, which reduces hugely the potential for encouraging people to walk to local facilities like the station. It is because the Public Rights of Way team seem to have been extremely lethargic in getting rights of way adopted, but they have recently done a large exercise in this, so I'm hoping (though given past performance not expecting) that this may change.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 16:55:04 »

Many a time I would walk past Oldfield Park station and shout out to those on the platform that there would be no trains today. Either they didn’t bother to read the poster or FGW (First Great Western) couldn’t be bothered to put one up.
WelshBluebird
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 15:21:52 »

Specifically about this weekend, I suspect that was because the actual timing of those replacement buses was not confirmed until Friday! Just two days before the date. Not great at all and I had a bit of a go at GWR (Great Western Railway) via Twitter and at Temple Meads over that. Really not good enough in my view.

As for the station itself, froome gives a pretty good overview!

Oldfield Park is, as you say, ideally located for a large population living round it, which is why it is so well used (far more well used that station usage figures show, for reasons that have been explained on other threads). However, that area has rapidly become a home for students at the two universities (now accounts for a high percentage of the local population, and in my road it is about 50% student houses and 50% more permanent residents) and while the station is used by students for getting home at end of term or for visits to Bristol, they don't have need for it to reach their universities. If that demographic change hadn't happened in the last 20 years, Oldfield Park would probably have a far larger number of commuters (and as it is, it can have up to 100 for each rush hour train).

To be fair, especially over the last 6 months, I don't think Oldfield could actually physically cope with any more commuters considering we have seen regular short formings and cancellations because GWR do not have enough stock or staff!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 17:34:08 »

Many a time I would walk past Oldfield Park station and shout out to those on the platform that there would be no trains today.

Ooh, you hooligan!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 10:07:20 »

Track capacity will also be an issue, even more so with no sign of electrification between Bath and Bristol. If you are going to reopen any station along this stretch of line Saltford is the way to go.

I agree that the case for Saltford is stronger, and I am not convinced by the case for any new station which will slow down the mainline trains, which are slow enough already and have been getting slower over the decades.  The real answer for linking Bath to its hinterland is of course a tramline along the old midland trackbed all the way to Bristol. 
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2018, 10:18:43 »

The real answer for linking Bath to its hinterland is of course a tramline along the old midland trackbed all the way to Bristol. 
Would be a huge success if they did reopen the line to trams. Cyclists and the Avon Valley Railway might have something to say about it mind.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 10:32:40 »

The real answer for linking Bath to its hinterland is of course a tramline along the old midland trackbed all the way to Bristol. 
Would be a huge success if they did reopen the line to trams. Cyclists and the Avon Valley Railway might have something to say about it mind.

Double trackbed though, room for both. Avon Valley Railway might have a thing or two to say about it though.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 10:47:29 »

Room for both (but not all three) from Bath to Warmley probably. Quite a bit of alteration to the route from there to Bristol. Some of the gradients would need re-engineering for certain!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2018, 11:21:41 »

I would suggest that an alternative cycle route across adjacent fields could be provided.  Post-brexit, the UK (United Kingdom) might even be able to make farming subsidies dependent on things like making public paths across land.  It would be a shame to loose the AVR. 
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 14:04:52 »

Many, many years ago a proposition was put forward to retain the Bath to Bristol Midland Line line via Mangotsfield from where the line crossed the River Avon where the present AVR Avon Riverside platform is situated. To connect this line a double junction was proposed to the GW (Great Western) Main Line at a point where the A4 crossed the line at Newbridge and build an embankment about 200 metres long to connect with the Midland line before passing over the river bridge at Riverside. It was pointed out at the time that it would provide an alternative route between Bath and Bristol when engineering work was taking place on the GW line. The powers to be dismissed this and cited the fact that when engineering work was taking place SLO with a pilotman was put in place and, at the time, was the normal practice. TODAY the practice is to close the line and bustitute but had that proposition been put in place bustitution would only mean in todays operational railway bustitution between Bath / Bristol and intermediate stations and thus prevent the chaos which we have seen in the recent past.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: