Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:56:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Turbo Roll Out Expansion  (Read 10131 times)
John R

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2017, 17:40:20 »

Notices up at Nailsea today announcing the arrival of turbos from Monday 23rd. Some longer distance services are being split in two at Bristol and Taunton presumably as the turbos and not cleared south of Taunton or towards Cardiff.

Maybe this will provide a modicum of relief in terms of the chronic shortage of rolling stock in the area...

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 23:17:13 »

I actually don't have to go in to work on Monday - so I'll be down at our local station to take a few photos of this historic development at NLS!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 00:40:40 »

Notices up at Nailsea today announcing the arrival of turbos from Monday 23rd. Some longer distance services are being split in two at Bristol and Taunton presumably as the turbos and not cleared south of Taunton or towards Cardiff.

Maybe this will provide a modicum of relief in terms of the chronic shortage of rolling stock in the area...

I read, on another forum, that the diagrams will be:

2C61 0524 Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton
2D02 0633 Taunton to Bristol Parkway
2C65 0812 Bristol Parkway to Taunton
2D08 0938 Taunton to Bristol Parkway
2Y14 1112 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare
2D12 1209 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Parkway
2Y18 1312 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare
2D16 1410 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Parkway
2Y22 1512 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare
2D22 1610 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Parkway
2Y26 1712 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare
2D28 1816 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Temple Meads

5E04 0345 St Philips Mrsh to Taunton (Monday Only)
2E04 0602 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
2C63 0721 Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton
2D06 0836 Taunton to Bristol Parkway
2Y12 1012 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare
2D10 1110 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Parkway
2Y16 1212 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare
2D14 1310 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Parkway
2Y20 1412 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare
2D18 1510 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Parkway
2Y24 1612 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare
2D26 1716 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Parkway
2Y28 1812 Bristol Parkway to Weston-super-Mare
2D30 1908 Weston-super-Mare to Bristol Parkway
2C25 2011 Bristol Parkway to Bristol Temple Meads

2C90 2001 Bristol Temple Meads to Taunton
5C90 2121 Taunton to Taunton Monday to Thursday)
5C90 2124 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads (Friday Only)

This does not include the split of the 1800 Cardiff Central to Taunton. In addition at least one source that gives train diagrams does not give the split at Bristol Temple Meads on that journey (even though it is on the posters) and also indicates that the evening Taunton to Gloucester run survives.

Cheers,
Dave
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 01:09:08 by DaveHarries » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:00:07 »

The 0633 from Taunton was indeed a turbo this morning.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:17:47 »

The 0633 from Taunton was indeed a turbo this morning.

For the record ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 11:42:11 »

Just saw 166219 go through Bath Spa on its way west.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 17:05:27 »

This was posted on another forum...

https://youtu.be/hUzhYfwMqOM
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 20:29:28 »

Taunton.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 21:28:35 »

Closer than most of your guesses  Grin

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 23:45:25 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) website now has some idea of the planned schedule of introduction of Turbos onto those services which don't yet have them. More information here: https://www.gwr.com/about-us/modernising-gwr/january2018

Love or hate the Turbos I will be glad not to have to put up with 150s on services to Gloucester (although I don't mind the 153s: if I get a 150 & 153 combo I sit in the 153) and I think I might not be the only one.

Dave
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 08:01:24 »

GWR (Great Western Railway) website now has some idea of the planned schedule of introduction of Turbos onto those services which don't yet have them. More information here: https://www.gwr.com/about-us/modernising-gwr/january2018

Many thanks for that link Dave.   I'm summarising below (may split the thread later)

More Intercity Express Trains

Our new Intercity Express Trains will start running to Oxford, Worcester, and Great Malvern; as well as more services on routes to Bristol Temple Meads and South Wales.

Dividing trains

Some services may divide during the journey. Check the part of the train you board continues to your destination, before you join the train.

Electrostar Trains now running to Didcot Parkway

Most of our London suburban services between Didcot Parkway and London Paddington will use our new, longer, faster Electrostar trains.

These trains provide more comfort with:
* at-seat power sockets
* improved air-conditioning
* over 1000 more seats into London Paddington during morning peak-time
They will run mainly with 8 carriages.

At some stations, the platforms aren’t long enough for the train. You can walk through the whole train however some doors will not open at certain stations.

Dividing trains

Some services divide during the journey. Please check the part of the train you enter continues to your destination, before you board.

Travelling to/from Oxford, Bedwyn and Thames Valley branch lines

These trains will only run between Didcot Parkway and London Paddington, calling at intermediate stations.

To/from:

Oxford, Radley, Culham or Appleford – change at Didcot Parkway. Direct High Speed services will continue to run to/from Oxford
Henley Branch Line – change at Twyford
Marlow Branch Line – change at Maidenhead

Food and drink

There is an at-seat food and drink service on-board.

More Turbo Trains in the Bristol Area

From January 2018, we’ll be introducing more Turbo trains to the region, running between Bristol Temple Meads and, Cardiff Central, Taunton, Weston-super-Mare and Gloucester; as well as running between Swindon and Cheltenham.

These trains will provide more comfort, improved air-conditioning, and over 1000 more seats into Bristol Temple Meads during morning peak-time.

Throughout the year we’ll be modifying these trains to include at-seat power sockets and accessible toilets.

Trains will be up to six carriages in length.

From February, Turbo trains will be operating in the Avon Valley on services to Southampton and Weymouth and extending to Portsmouth in the summer.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 18:46:43 »

Hopefully, they won't suffer the problems currently happening to some of the Turbo services on the Severn Beach Line.

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 19:03:59 »

I was on Platform 5 at TM(resolve) at 1100 today. The 1116 rolled in and was left idling. Then 2 orange jackets arrived with plenty of buckets and a stirrup pump. They proceeded to start with the middle carriage, then moved to the carriages in front and behind. Then they jumped off the platform and moved round the other side of the train.
1130 came and went and then my Class 158 Gloucester bound train was diverted to platform 3 . As I left at 1145, the turbo was still in darkness with 30 passengers left on board. So what happened after that is a mystery. It does not augur well for the turbo rollout on Jan 2nd does it ?
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 19:17:51 »

I can shine a little light on the mystery of the 1116:

If you are going to cancel a train from Severn Beach, it is probably a good idea to make sure that the stranded passengers do not include Mhairi Threlfall, Bristol City Council's Cabinet Member for Transport.

Taxis were promised, it seems one arrived 40 minutes later, but there were 12 pax waiting.

Worse still. Mhairi's twitter feed continues:

Mhairi Threlfall‏
@mthrel

Train cancelled at Severn Beach, young children and man going to St Michaels for birth trapped and no clear info on options - like taxis. Woman on help point confused and unclear - taxis still not here! @GWRHelp

Had you been at Temple Meads at 1516, you would have seen history repeat itself. Hopefully, Cllr Mhairi Threlfall was planning on making her way back to Severn Beach on that train.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 19:24:18 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 23:31:19 »

I was on Platform 5 at TM(resolve) at 1100 today. The 1116 rolled in and was left idling. Then 2 orange jackets arrived with plenty of buckets and a stirrup pump. They proceeded to start with the middle carriage, then moved to the carriages in front and behind. Then they jumped off the platform and moved round the other side of the train.

Proceeded to start what?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: