I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:41:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Is rail electrification the future, or the past  (Read 23536 times)
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2017, 21:36:32 »

British governments don't believe in long term planning. In a sane world at the conclusion of GWR (Great Western Railway) planned electrification things would move seamlessly to the next line to be wired.

Then to the next, then the next.

In my dreams..
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 09:27:58 »

Unfortunately as long as we have neoliberal governments who put the needs of capital first, then I doubt there will be any changes or longer term planning. Indeed the idea of planning to neoliberals who are obsessed with the free market is a dirty word. They are there to maximise profit for private capital - unless a proposal achieves that they are unlikely to be interested in it.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 22:47:20 »

Unfortunately as long as we have neoliberal governments who put the needs of capital first, then I doubt there will be any changes or longer term planning. Indeed the idea of planning to neoliberals who are obsessed with the free market is a dirty word. They are there to maximise profit for private capital - unless a proposal achieves that they are unlikely to be interested in it.

I think the GWR (Great Western Railway) electrification into Bristol Temple Meads has been cancelled twice by Conservative governments, once by Labour.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 10:07:17 »

What were the dates of the first two? It's probably fair to say that there's been a more-or-less neoliberal consensus since 1979...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 11:18:41 »

Leaving politics aside, it seems to me that electric power is the future, not JUST for railway purposes but for almost all energy requirements.
Electricity may be produced by the combustion of fossil fuels, by wind, by sunlight, by hydroelectric power and from tidal flows, or by nuclear fission. All these are proven and readily available technologies.

Liquid fuels by contrast are only available from crude oil, or from crops grown for the purpose. Crude oil exists in fundamentally limited volumes, production may have already peaked, and new oil discoveries peaked decades ago.
Liquid fuels from crops show some promise, but due to constraints on land availability are unlikely to be available on a large scale.

Hydrogen is even more limited, the only proven industrial scale sources are electrolysis of water or deriving it from natural gas. Hydrogen from electrolysis is a well understood technology but introduces substantial losses in both production and use, more efficient to use the electricity directly, in most cases.
Hydrogen is also expensive and problematic to distribute, we already a national grid to distribute electricity.
Hydrogen from natural gas is pointless, simply burn the natural gas instead and thereby eliminate several steps in the process.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2017, 14:35:44 »

Leaving politics aside, it seems to me that electric power is the future ...

Liquid fuels by contrast ...

But you are not comparing like for like - you're comparing a transmission and storage system with a generation system. My understanding is that IET (Intercity Express Train) always runs on electricity - be it from the overhead system, or generated on board from liquid fuel.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2017, 15:00:34 »

Once the wires are up and full of voles from Paddington to Chippenham, how much fuel will the bimodes be carrying for each trip? Just enough to cover the non-electrified sections, or is it simply a case of filling up the tanks to the brim and forgetting about them till they reach a minimum level?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
jdw.wor
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2017, 15:06:20 »

I hope they will carry more than the minimum required as can you see the reaction if there are power issues with the overhead wires and the train could not run on to its destination because it did not have any fuel.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2017, 15:25:01 »

Once the wires are up and full of voles from Paddington to Chippenham, how much fuel will the bimodes be carrying for each trip? Just enough to cover the non-electrified sections, or is it simply a case of filling up the tanks to the brim and forgetting about them till they reach a minimum level?

Voles? I thought it was a volatile mix of shrews and....red squirrels...
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2017, 15:28:38 »

Voles? I thought it was a volatile mix of shrews and....red squirrels...
Just keep them off the Carling Black Label!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2017, 15:30:18 »

I hope they will carry more than the minimum required as can you see the reaction if there are power issues with the overhead wires and the train could not run on to its destination because it did not have any fuel.
Obviously they have to have a contingency. Enough to cover the distance expected to be with OHLE + a reserve = minimum. Will they carry just that or, say, a full tank?

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2017, 18:39:41 »

What were the dates of the first two? It's probably fair to say that there's been a more-or-less neoliberal consensus since 1979...

A description of Mrs Thatcher I hadn't heard before!

One cancellation was certainly on her watch. In the early 1980s, I recall an area manager saying that the then-planned electrification would definitely go ahead, "you mark my words!". If only I could find the piece, from the local news, on the interweb.

Now, please!
onthecushions
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2017, 22:16:03 »

A description of Mrs Thatcher I hadn't heard before!

One cancellation was certainly on her watch. In the early 1980s, I recall an area manager saying that the then-planned electrification would definitely go ahead, "you mark my words!". If only I could find the piece, from the local news, on the interweb.

I think that it is worth remembering the dates when UK (United Kingdom) electrification has been approved, before judging politicians/parties (I think they're all alley cats, by the way).

The Eastern Region AC, Glasgow suburban and the Euston- Manchester AC started in 1957.

Weaver Junction - Glasgow was approved in March 1970

Merseyrail (Loop and Link) 1972

Kings Cross suburban, Bedpan 1976

Anglia (east) 1981

Ayrshire, Hastings  1983

Anglia (West), ECML (East Coast Main Line), Romford, Southminster, N London AC 1984

East Grinstead, Largs, Snow Hill (Thameslink), Canonbury, Graham Rd. 1985

Weymouth 1986

North Leeds 1994

EOE

You can add the dates of the parties in government.

Maggie may not have been keen on trains but she appointed Nicholas Ridley (Civil Engineer) as transport secretary with David Mitchel as railways minister. They laid the golden eggs, based on (neo-liberal?) economic data and a competent railway.

OTC

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2017, 22:46:25 »

It might not be the future at lowly downtrodden Bristol, but in that vibrant economic Shangri-La they call Blackpool, work continues apace, as this picture at Poulton-le-Fylde shows:

The line to Blackpool North closes for 4 months next week, as the electrification work is finished, and work to Kirkham and Wesham. Poulton-le-Fylde and Blackpool North stations is done. And I mean major work! Plus that semaphore signal will be gone.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2017, 22:47:55 »

neo-liberal?

Sshh. Dirty word around here apparently.  Lips sealed

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: