Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:30:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: South Western train derails near Wimbledon.  (Read 9520 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2017, 12:53:44 »

One bogie of the rear coach off the track.
Said to have been at low speed, no serious injuries.
District line also blocked.

SOURCE BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) news.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41883153

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 21:50:35 »

As my Waterloo bound train left Wimbledon this morning I wondered why there was a policeman with a rail worker standing on the District line tracks. I then saw multiple emergency service vehicles parked in Waitrose next to the tracks. Whats going on? I wondered. I saw lots more people in Hi Vis standing on the tracks. And then a blue SWT (South West Trains) SWR» (South Western Railway - about) train with its rear carriage at a different angle to the rest of the train obviously derailed. It was blocking the District Line tracks but was clear of the Main and Suburban lines.

From memory a very small number of early morning / late night trains in passenger service divert on to the District Line between Wimbledon and East Putney. That section of the District Line is owned by Network Rail.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 21:53:01 »

The first train up from Basingstoke lost its last bogie set which went on the up line instead
JayMac

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 20:53:02 »

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) has released a safety digest following this incident:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-digest-012018-wimbledon/derailment-of-a-passenger-train-near-wimbledon-south-west-london-6-november-2017

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 23:30:39 »

Was I the only person who found that very entertaining - showing an unexpected talent for comedy in both Network Rail and London Underground?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 08:14:11 »

Was I the only person who found that very entertaining - showing an unexpected talent for comedy in both Network Rail and London Underground?
I don't think its funny at all (hope you made your comment in jest).  This is another example of how NR» (Network Rail - home page) constantly claim that they brought asset management under control after the Railtrack 'fiasco'.  They really don't know after 14 years do they?  When I worked for NR we were pushed very hard into reviewing and making lists of all of our discipline assets.  Its quite concerning that,once again, NR is not as perfect as it claims.......
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 08:40:34 »

But surely that is 'how things are these days'? Those on the ground know the problems that exist; constantly pass those higher up the chain where the problems magically disappear. Eventually you get fed up with reporting.  When things go pear-shaped it's the ground crew at fault.
I'm not bitter; just getting old!  Cry Cry

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:41:56 »

But surely that is 'how things are these days'? Those on the ground know the problems that exist; constantly pass those higher up the chain where the problems magically disappear. Eventually you get fed up with reporting.  When things go pear-shaped it's the ground crew at fault.
But NR» (Network Rail - home page) (apparently) has a 'perfect' asset management and defect reporting system (for which a lot of money was paid back in 2004/5).  How then did such a simple issue get missed?  It's very concerning to me that such a simple boundary should have been documented in error.  In my old area we had quite a few internal and external boundaries and I don't remember any of those having 'gaps' in them like this one.  Good job it was a fairly low speed area.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 21:09:21 »

But NR» (Network Rail - home page) (apparently) has a 'perfect' asset management and defect reporting system (for which a lot of money was paid back in 2004/5).  How then did such a simple issue get missed?  It's very concerning to me that such a simple boundary should have been documented in error.  In my old area we had quite a few internal and external boundaries and I don't remember any of those having 'gaps' in them like this one.  Good job it was a fairly low speed area.

What happened at privatisation of Railtrack was an enforced deletion of a huge archive of asset management data unwittingly at the behest of DfT» (Department for Transport - about) who decided the privatisation model.  That was the data held by the local people on the ground who were outsourced, moved to other areas or simply left the industry.  You do not recover that information easily - indeed some is lost forever.  What is worse is that some of it is information that you do not know that you do not know. So you can never know you have a perfect asset management system - it is always learning.  You also have to ensure that the information in it is properly communicated to the staff on the ground.

I suspect that this gap in inspection dates from that time and often happens as a result of reorganisation.  In my own sector I am aware of a key asset that went without inspection from 1974 until about 1982 - fortunately without incident.  The reason being a reorganisation forced by legislation leaving no-one looking after a boundary asset. 

I would be very surprised if NR had ever claimed to have a 'perfect, Asset Management system - though they might have claimed to have one that is greatly improved.  Indeed such a system is only as good as the data that is in it. 

I trust that this incident will have caused NR to review all such boundaries and ensure that they are properly marked on the ground. 
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 22:45:44 »

From RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch):
Examination of the track following the derailment found that the track gauge was in excess of 1485 mm. The normal gauge for standard gauge track is 1435 mm, but it is acceptable for this to increase to 1460 mm before corrective work is required.

How can the gauge increase by more than 50mm? - what do the fastenings to the sleepers look like by this stage?
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 22:37:57 »

The sleepers may be the issue here, as in rotten wooden ones?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: