06:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
06:50 London Paddington to Evesham
07:12 Plymouth to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 07:20:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[105] You see all sorts on the bus.
[56] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[49] Where have I been?
[46] "We can’t get from A to B in Britain and it might just be th...
[44] "Mayflower"
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Launch of GWR online souvenir shop  (Read 24398 times)
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2017, 17:59:40 »

For those who haven't received the email, GWR (Great Western Railway) have launched a range of branded items.

https://www.btcwebstore.co.uk/gwr/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 18:08:58 »

The upstart GWR (Great Western Railway) have released a range of GWR green branded items.

Is your life incomplete without a GWR green mug? Are you desperate for new, solid metal no less, cufflinks? What about some classy Class 387 socks?  Tongue Tongue Tongue

All could be ideal gifts for that died-in-the-wool GWR enthusiast in your family or friends circle.

There is a discount code out there, in an email signed by Mark Hopwood. Nice to see he continues to concentrate on the important things at GWR. If you're lucky enough to receive said email (I did, despite that promise from GWR I'd receive no more marketing  Roll Eyes) you can get a 10% discount on the pre-VAT (Value Added Tax) prices. I might be tempted to share the code by PM if you can't work it out. It's from GWR and there's a base decimal unit in it...

Here's the GWR souvenir online store:

https://www.btcwebstore.co.uk/gwr/index.php/shop.html

Hopefully this post is tongue-in-cheek enough to not constitute advertising. Neither promotion or endorsement on my part.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 18:27:04 »

I heard there was a limited edition Mark Hopwood action man but no-one can find him!

1st fan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 19:02:33 »

Wow! Thanks for the tip off you've just solved my Christmas presents issues for my relatives. Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 19:26:16 »

You couldn’t make it up. I must confess I was slightly warey after clicking the link that this site was actually genuine and that GWR (Great Western Railway) have branched out into branded items but it appears they have.

I have yet to have been privileged enough to have received my email from Mr Hopwood. I take it he personally endorses these products if he’s signed the email? Are First not making enough profit from GWR?

I can see many of GWR’s long suffering commuters queuing up to purchase that little something to remind them of their daily commute. Taplow Green I particularly thought of you when browsing through the many and varied items on offer.

I remember Wessex Trains doing something similar when they existed. I’m not aware of other TOCs (Train Operating Company) selling things like this. If you know any that do please do share with us.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 19:30:09 »

I'd rather have GWR (Great Western Railway)'s marketing department doing this than most of the other things they get up to.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 19:33:50 »

I'd rather have GWR (Great Western Railway)'s marketing department doing this than most of the other things they get up to.
You referring to the Famous Five campaign?
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 23:27:16 »

I mean, really, a £2.50 GWR (Great Western Railway) Woven Badge seems like a bargain for persuading your local station to sell you PRIV tickets.
devonexpress

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 23:36:35 »

So the bag costs £3 but a cheap plastic ticket wallet that will break in 6 months of commuting costs £9? what the heck!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 23:49:36 »

For those who haven't received the email ...

If you're lucky enough to receive said email (I did, despite that promise from GWR (Great Western Railway) I'd receive no more marketing  Roll Eyes) ...

You couldn’t make it up.

Actually, I rather think Great Western Railway's marketing department have indeed 'just made it up'.

I haven't received any such cheery e-mail from 'Mark Hopwood', when I'd be genuinely pleased to receive one.  However, they have sent one to member 'bignosemac', who has made it absolutely clear to them that he does not welcome such marketing e-mails.

What are you playing at, GWR's 'marketing department'??  Shocked

Admin note: Posted here in my personal capacity, not as any official view from the Coffee Shop forum. CfN.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 00:35:59 »

So the bag costs £3 but a cheap plastic ticket wallet that will break in 6 months of commuting costs £9? what the heck!

To be absolutely fair to GWR (Great Western Railway), the £9.00 ticket wallet is leather.

And to be a little unfair on them - or rather Mark Hopwood himself - as the email says, "I would also like to offer you a personal 10% discount on all items (excluding postage) on your first purchase." I think it's a bit remiss to fail to mention that the 10% is off the ex-VAT (Value Added Tax) prices, not the advertised VAT inclusive prices.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 06:32:44 »

You couldn’t make it up. I must confess I was slightly warey after clicking the link that this site was actually genuine and that GWR (Great Western Railway) have branched out into branded items but it appears they have.

I have yet to have been privileged enough to have received my email from Mr Hopwood. I take it he personally endorses these products if he’s signed the email? Are First not making enough profit from GWR?

I can see many of GWR’s long suffering commuters queuing up to purchase that little something to remind them of their daily commute. Taplow Green I particularly thought of you when browsing through the many and varied items on offer.

I remember Wessex Trains doing something similar when they existed. I’m not aware of other TOCs (Train Operating Company) selling things like this. If you know any that do please do share with us.

I confess I find myself uncomfortable with the diversion of GWR resources - which are so short in some areas that they can't meet their service level commitment - into souvenir marketing.   However, their human resources tend to be so specfically trained that they can't adequately be re-deployed from one role to another to provide cover.  Try asking the lady or gentleman who answers your call by telling you they've got got train crew to get you home to come and drive the train her / himself. Wonder at the cancellation of a train due to lack of a trained driver ... then employ of a fleet of taxis with a lot more drivers to get dozens of people where they need to be without stranding them for two hours.

"Are First not making enough profit from GWR?" you ask.    Running trains is on very thin margins, we are told - and where traffic levels have not been as high as anticipated (perhaps due to service quality not being as high as anticipated), then profitability is down and GWR are not making the money for First.  And margins are far better on car parking contracts, leasing out station concessions, merchandising, etc ...

The 10% discount before VAT (Value Added Tax) is something GWR are experienced at. In the five (weekday's you'll note) that have just gone, they've cancelled eight train runs out of the 90 that were scheduled.   80 of the scheduled services are in their contacts, with a round trip each day representing the VAT - so in other words the TransWilts cancellation rate has been 10%, without any Sunday / rest day work issues excuse being available.  These things happen, of course - so I can confirm that the reasons given in all cases was a GWR one - lack of a working train, or lack of staff to run it.

I do hope that the 10% discount is off the price (in this case) rather than off the product. A ticket wallet that's 10% too small to take a ticket. A train that doesn't turn up on the day 10% of the time, provides far, far less than 90% of the use it's supposed to provide.   And a train that takes you 90% of the way from London to Newport (with you being detrained at Pilning by my calculation!) to make your own way for the last 10% ...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:44:08 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 08:47:37 »

And to be a little unfair on them - or rather Mark Hopwood himself - as the email says, "I would also like to offer you a personal 10% discount on all items (excluding postage) on your first purchase." I think it's a bit remiss to fail to mention that the 10% is off the ex-VAT (Value Added Tax) prices, not the advertised VAT inclusive prices.

I am slightly confused as to how they then calculate the final cost? Usually it doesn't matter when a % discount is applied unless say, it is in combination with a £fixed discount.

e.g.
£1 ex-VAT + 20p VAT = £1.20 - 10% discount = £1.08 (usually on a receipt the net price would be shown as 90p and VAT 18p as tax cannot be discounted)
£1 ex-VAT - 10% discount = 90p + VAT = £1.08

i.e. price x 0.9 x 1.2 = price x 1.2 x 0.9
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:52:41 by Fourbee » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 09:08:17 »

I am slightly confused as to how they then calculate the final cost?

So am I ... but then this is "railway" so it will be more complicated than it needs to be  Grin

I suspect no discount off shipping costs?   What could have been an incentive discount is diluted by complexity. Why not simply offer 8% off the bottom line then VAT (Value Added Tax) doesn't matter.   Or are some of the items offered classified as "essentials" so not subject to VAT at regular rates?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 09:19:54 »

I am slightly confused as to how they then calculate the final cost? Usually it doesn't matter when a % discount is applied unless say, it is in combination with a £fixed discount.

e.g.
£1 ex-VAT + 20p VAT = £1.20 - 10% discount = £1.08 (usually on a receipt the net price would be shown as 90p and VAT 18p as tax cannot be discounted)
£1 ex-VAT - 10% discount = 90p + VAT = £1.08

i.e. price x 0.9 x 1.2 = price x 1.2 x 0.9

Quite right. It looks like a minuscule tax fraud, doesn't it?

However, I suspect that when you get an invoice or receipt showing the final price breakdown, including VAT, it has actually been worked out backwards. In other words, (final price - anything not bearing VAT ) / 1.2 = VAT. WHat's left is the pre-VAT selling price, which absorbs any small discrepancies due to how the price was offered - as it should.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: