Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:08:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Redecorating of stations  (Read 9229 times)
hassaanhc

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2017, 23:05:16 »

A couple of weeks ago I was shocked to see that GWR (Great Western Railway) had got the paintbrush out at Acton Main Line, repainting the lampposts grey with black stripes and the fences black.

Then this week they started at Southall! Again all the lampposts and fences were painted first, then the pillars of the canopy (again grey) and they painted inside the ticket hall (white with grey doors and skirting). They were yet to start on the staircase walls and the wooden ceilings, which have had badly peeling paint for years. And I do hope they fix the damaged and/or missing windows in the platform 2/3 staircase

Given that the stations are transferring to TfL» (Transport for London - about) soon, I was very surprised to see GWR actually painting things and had thought TfL would do them after takeover. Wonder if they only started painting because TfL wanted a certain standard on takeover? Grin Grin Certainly a lot of the stations have felt neglected for years, so it is good to see investment here. Wonder which ones will be next to see a paintbrush?
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 23:37:13 »

A couple of weeks ago I was shocked to see that GWR (Great Western Railway) had got the paintbrush out at Acton Main Line, repainting the lampposts grey with black stripes and the fences black.

Then this week they started at Southall! Again all the lampposts and fences were painted first, then the pillars of the canopy (again grey) and they painted inside the ticket hall (white with grey doors and skirting). They were yet to start on the staircase walls and the wooden ceilings, which have had badly peeling paint for years. And I do hope they fix the damaged and/or missing windows in the platform 2/3 staircase

Given that the stations are transferring to TfL» (Transport for London - about) soon, I was very surprised to see GWR actually painting things and had thought TfL would do them after takeover. Wonder if they only started painting because TfL wanted a certain standard on takeover? Grin Grin Certainly a lot of the stations have felt neglected for years, so it is good to see investment here. Wonder which ones will be next to see a paintbrush?

On a purely selfish basis, I was looking at Redland station this morning with kid bro who pointed out that it is still daubed out in the pre rebranding GWR ugly blue. A rebranding to a ( currently) less toxic image surely needs a little more effort.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 00:04:38 »

Given that the stations are transferring to TfL» (Transport for London - about) soon, I was very surprised to see GWR (Great Western Railway) actually painting things and had thought TfL would do them after takeover. Wonder if they only started painting because TfL wanted a certain standard on takeover? Grin Grin Certainly a lot of the stations have felt neglected for years, so it is good to see investment here. Wonder which ones will be next to see a paintbrush?

If it was work done for GWR, rather than for TfL under some pre-entry agreement, it would probably be because the lease with Network Rail is terminating. The legal form is that GWR sell the "facility" in the stations direct to the new operator, but the station itself is leased so reverts to NR» (Network Rail - home page) and a new lease is taken on by TfL/Crossrail.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:13:00 »

I'd sooner they spent the money on employing people to work in the ticket offices at smaller stations - Taplow has been closed for months now due to "staff sickness" and the inability/unwillingness of GWR (Great Western Railway) to provide staff.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 11:48:31 »

On a purely selfish basis, I was looking at Redland station this morning with kid bro who pointed out that it is still daubed out in the pre rebranding GWR (Great Western Railway) ugly blue. A rebranding to a ( currently) less toxic image surely needs a little more effort.

Broadway station is getting a lick of paint, too!

Photo: GWSR

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 13:42:55 »

I'd sooner they spent the money on employing people to work in the ticket offices at smaller stations - Taplow has been closed for months now due to "staff sickness" and the inability/unwillingness of GWR (Great Western Railway) to provide staff.

I wonder what TfL» (Transport for London - about)’s stance will be on ticket offices for the smaller stations like Taplow when Elizabeth Line services commence?  I would imagine the ticket office will close  sooner rather than later, but the station will be staffed for longer hours.  Also, will barriers be installed?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 13:58:33 »

Given that the stations are transferring to TfL» (Transport for London - about) soon, I was very surprised to see GWR (Great Western Railway) actually painting things and had thought TfL would do them after takeover. Wonder if they only started painting because TfL wanted a certain standard on takeover? Grin Grin Certainly a lot of the stations have felt neglected for years, so it is good to see investment here. Wonder which ones will be next to see a paintbrush?

If it was work done for GWR, rather than for TfL under some pre-entry agreement, it would probably be because the lease with Network Rail is terminating. The legal form is that GWR sell the "facility" in the stations direct to the new operator, but the station itself is leased so reverts to NR» (Network Rail - home page) and a new lease is taken on by TfL/Crossrail.

Returning the station in good order is probably a condition of the lease (normally is) its called dilapidations. GR probably have no choice.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 16:30:35 »

I wonder what TfL» (Transport for London - about)’s stance will be on ticket offices for the smaller stations like Taplow when Elizabeth Line services commence?  I would imagine the ticket office will close  sooner rather than later, but the station will be staffed for longer hours.  Also, will barriers be installed?

Not sure TfL's clutches will reach as far as Taplow?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 18:06:41 »

Not sure TfL's clutches will reach as far as Taplow?

The Crossrail operator is required under the concession to take out a lease on Taplow station starting on 10th December 2017. (The same applies to all GWR stations except those where GWR main-line trains usually stop.) There will be the usual TfL "deep clean" before the opening date (December 2019).

They are not required to install ticket barriers, but will be installing some new ticket machines.

Initially, both the platforms and the ticket office must be staffed throughout operating hours. Alterations to ticket office hours are subject to approval by TfL (or RfL, the bit that granted the concession). Given the current proposals to close Overground ticket offices, this may have changed by December 2019. However, these are still (I think) stations on the national rail network, which may make a difference. 

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 21:24:16 »

Personally I’ll be surprised if there’s a ticket office there in five years time, but ‘visible’ staff presence throughout the day might be considered a price worth paying for that loss if it happens.  Access to other facilities such as toilets and waiting rooms would presumably improve as a result as they wouldn’t just be available in the morning.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 17:13:49 »

Painting contractors on site at Thatcham today, and Peter in the Ticket Office confirmed the Station will be turning green shortly.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 17:18:41 »

Painting contractors on site at Thatcham today, and Peter in the Ticket Office confirmed the Station will be turning green shortly.

Is that being done by the team based on the District Line one station west of Stamford Brook?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 18:26:23 »

Is that being done by the team based on the District Line one station west of Stamford Brook?

Expert on the UK (United Kingdom) railway system as I am ( Tongue ), even I had to go away and think about that one.  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 19:08:31 »

Ah, Turnham Green (had to look it up), very good  Cheesy
ElectricLad

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 22:19:58 »

A few weeks ago a strip light became unloose at West Drayton on platform 3 waiting room, just when i thought they were trying to bring a bit of Tate Modern into zone 6.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: