I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:25:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bus Stops in The Centre, Bristol  (Read 2794 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2017, 19:45:51 »

Me and one of the kids went down town to see the HMS Gert Biggun on Sunday.

We thought we'd get the train from Montpelier and walk from Temple Meads, but that didn't work out on account of uncharacteristic punctuality, so we ended up catching a No.72 bus. This stopped at Broadmead, and I assumed that the next stop would be The Centre - but no! It sailed (well, belched filth) right through, past the new skate park (the one with the Cenotaph in the middle), and then a disembodied robotic voice said 'Next stop: Queen Street'. 'How odd,' I thought... there is a Queen Street, but I find it hard to believe we're going there.

Turned out she meant Prince Street - easy mistake to make; one Royal is much the same as any other.

Anyway, all this meandering leads me to the question: Anyone know where I can find a map of The Centre with bus stops and routes marked on it? There used to be such a thing, but my searches have failed to locate one that reflects the new layout. I am also a bit baffled because to my mind the whole point of The Centre is that it's a bus interchange, but if many other buses just whizz through then it's a less useful one than it used to be...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 20:57:09 »

In these days of Metrobus chaos, one is unlikely to exist.

However, once Metrobus finshes, there maybe hope!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 21:04:29 »

I fear there is precious little that Metrobust offers in the way of hope but perhaps new maps could be forthcoming despite rather than because of it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 21:07:20 »

... or you may have lost the will to live, by then ...  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 21:47:09 »

JustaBus may not be finished, but the road layout and bus stops on The Centre are in their final configuration now. In any case there was presumably some sort of 'plan' underlying all this activity, so someone at First Group or Bristol City Council ought to know where the buses stop, and has had time to publish a map.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 22:28:27 »

... then a disembodied robotic voice said 'Next stop: Queen Street'. 'How odd,' I thought... there is a Queen Street, but I find it hard to believe we're going there.

Turned out she meant Prince Street ...

Is it possible that the software is a little clunky, and the announcement should have been something like, "Next stop: Prince Street for Queen Square"?  Undecided

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:42:41 »

The official First map doesn't show any detail in a blob roughly from Temple Meads to Millennium Square and Stokes Croft to Bedminster Bridge, so I don't hold out much hope of a detailed bus stop map for the new! enhanced! we hope we're going to like it this time! centre.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 12:16:33 »

Does the attached map and information sheet (dated 06/11/2017) not reflect what's now on the ground in The Centre?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:23:38 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 12:53:39 »

It does!*

I usually consider myself pretty good at sniffing things out, and now you've given me a clue I have managed to locate it on travelwest.info. For anyone else who needs a few clues:

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

* The map indicates that the No.72 is supposed to stop at Cu, by the new skate park. But it didn't; hence (in part) my surprise and confusion.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 13:23:41 »

I resorted to tweeting First Bus asking what had happened to the link to the central map on their website. The first few times, I got a "Well look into it". I'm now up to "Just my monthly check - any news on that map yet?"

I think the problem may be that the music hasn't stopped yet, so no-one knows where to sit down. Buses can no longer turn left into Baldwin Street from the Centre, meaning the rerouting of the 37/38/39 etc, and a very long way between stops in the central area. Consider it an example of the Law of Unintended Consequences. Mind you, that also defines MetroBust.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 15:07:45 »

I usually consider myself pretty good at sniffing things out, and now you've given me a clue I have managed to locate it on travelwest.info. For anyone else who needs a few clues:

For me it was inputting "Bus map centre Bristol" into Google. And yes I got the pdf from travelwest.info which was the top hit with that search criteria. I thought about providing a link, but I could tell from previous posts how much you enjoyed searching.  Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 15:24:09 »

I think the problem may be that the music hasn't stopped yet, so no-one knows where to sit down...

Ah, but that's my point - the music has stopped. For some reason, they were very keen to have the skate park finished by Nov 11th...

For me it was inputting "Bus map centre Bristol" into Google. And yes I got the pdf from travelwest.info which was the top hit with that search criteria. I thought about providing a link, but I could tell from previous posts how much you enjoyed searching.  Grin

Maybe you should consider a career as an SEO (Search Engine Optimisation - ) consultant..!  Wink I used what I thought were pretty similar terms in Google, but drew a blank.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 16:35:34 »

That's very good, although there was certainly nothing there at the time of my last major search. I'll tweet First Bus and let them know.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 18:26:51 »

The music hadn't really stopped on Saturday. Still areas fenced off, including one pedestrian crossing, though I think – probably – all the roads were finished, at least to the extent of being open with maybe a couple of signs still needing to be put up.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 19:37:50 »

The map indicates that the No.72 is supposed to stop at Cu, by the new skate park. But it didn't; hence (in part) my surprise and confusion.

It is unlikely that anyone has yet explained the new layout to the drivers.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: