Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
23:03 Marlow to Maidenhead
23:50 Maidenhead to Marlow
26/04/24 00:17 Marlow to Maidenhead
Delayed
22:03 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 23:30:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[102] access for all at Devon stations report
[56] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads
[34] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[23] Cornish delays
[22] Theft from Severn Valley Railway

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't Please Everybody  (Read 10254 times)
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 29, 2008, 15:49:56 »

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/02/27/anger-as-valleys-rail-coaches-moved-to-england-91466-20528207/

That over the bridge are not a happy bunch. Bloody Firstgroup!
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 15:54:49 »

See also link below.
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=1862.msg13679#msg13679

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 17:32:19 »

Get over it  Roll Eyes
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 19:37:11 »

Is that a violin I hear?? Cheesy
mada
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 19:41:14 »

I think the Welsh forget that the Cardiff to Portsmouth service is important to their economy!
welshman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 19:59:08 »

Tell me how one meandering two car train an hour wandering through rural Somerset/Wiltshire/Hampshire is important to the Welsh economy.  I don't see much freight on it.

Especially as compared to the 12 or so Valleys Lines trains per hour which travel each way through Cardiff Central.

Nor do I see how confiscating 5 ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) Sprinters is fairly spreading the load.   If you think services are crowded in Bristol, try a rush hour train to or from Treherbert.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 20:06:33 »

And also the Maesteg-Cheltenham train can be overcrowded at rush hour too especially the 17.21 from Cardiff-Maesteg. This service is usually 2 carriage 158.
DanielP

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 20:27:18 »

People are upset because 42 station platform extensions have taken place, new signalling installed and additional passing loops built and then half the stock to run it has been subleased to FGW (First Great Western): for a year so the investment (i.e. our taxes) is partially unused. See if you can imagine that applying to your local service without feeling the tiniest tingle of annoyance.

It is possible to please everybody, but that includes having governements invest in appropriate levels of rolling stock.

I'm genuinely glad that the Cardiff - Portsmouth service has got extra stock and that the ex Wessex services are being sorted out, it was a total disgrace- but please avoid getting in an "us and them" type debate. We all live in the United Kingdom and we all deserve a decent rail service.

Daniel

PS...please note the 150s are "subleased", not "confiscated". I wouldn't be at all suprised if first group is having to cough up an AWFUL lot for this deal.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 20:30:01 by DanielP » Logged
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 20:38:39 »

DanielP,
You have good points but imagine what we felt when Wessex had done so much work getting 3-Car Class 158 units on the Portsmouth-Cardiff services then for FGW (First Great Western) to reduce them to 2.
What about when overcorwding had actually been limited on the network and then we gave you some of our 150 units in brilliant condition.(You are giving us a lot worse)
And when we had to give 12 brilliant 158 units to be replaced by 142's meaning many long distance services have 150 units when ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) have 158's on pretty much everything over an 1 1/2.
We have it bad aswell.
Jez

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 20:41:47 »

DanielP,
You have good points but imagine what we felt when Wessex had done so much work getting 3-Car Class 158 units on the Portsmouth-Cardiff services then for FGW (First Great Western) to reduce them to 2.
What about when overcorwding had actually been limited on the network and then we gave you some of our 150 units in brilliant condition.(You are giving us a lot worse)
And when we had to give 12 brilliant 158 units to be replaced by 142's meaning many long distance services have 150 units when ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) have 158's on pretty much everything over an 1 1/2.
We have it bad aswell.

In fairness though that was FGW fault for reducing the Portsmouth-Cardiff service down to 2 Car not ATW!  Wink

ATW do use 158's or 175 on all long distance journeys but thats how it should be IMO (in my opinion).
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 20:48:48 »

DanielP,
We have it bad aswell.

In fairness though that was FGW fault for reducing the Portsmouth-Cardiff service down to 2 Car not ATW!  Wink

I actually wasn't complaining about ATW just saying that we have had services downgraded also.
Alos, ATW wll not have downgraded services, they just won't be upgraded, what we had was worse, just trains removed.
DanielP

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 21:49:53 »

Yeah, I can remember initial comments suggested that Card to Soton would be 4 car 158s just before FGW (First Great Western) started (har har!). That should still happen IMHO (in my humble opinion), it should have the same kind of capacity as the Salisbury - Exeter route, even.

The Wessex franchise was calously stripped of its rolling stock in a way that I hope is never seen again! I kind of like 142s in a funny sort of way (like marmite!), though I couldn't live with them if they didn't have chapman seats (like ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company)))'s)- that will be the only component worth saving when they do (eventually) scrap the little tikes. What really depresses me is that my three year old son is likely to be 15 when that happens!!!!! Please someone pull their finger out before then!!!!

The thing about the Arriva transfer is that new infrastucture is in place, there's just not enought trains to use it properly.
dog box

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 21:55:23 »

dont you mean qprrule 11 brilliant units and 1 crap one as i seem to recall 865 was a pile of poo

All postings reflect my own personal views and opinions and are not intended to be, nor should be taken as official statements of first great western or first group policy
Conner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 22:03:45 »

dont you mean qprrule 11 brilliant units and 1 crap one as i seem to recall 865 was a pile of poo
IMO (in my opinion) All 158's are better than any other west fleet train.
Even 865.
Giv them a proper refurb, major techincal attention, new seats and you have got a brilliant train.
IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) most Wessex 158's had working Air Conditioning, better than any other 15x or 14x other than 159.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 22:28:38 »

Tell me how one meandering two car train an hour wandering through rural Somerset/Wiltshire/Hampshire is important to the Welsh economy.  I don't see much freight on it.

Especially as compared to the 12 or so Valleys Lines trains per hour which travel each way through Cardiff Central.

Nor do I see how confiscating 5 ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) Sprinters is fairly spreading the load.   If you think services are crowded in Bristol, try a rush hour train to or from Treherbert.
Correction, soon to be 3 car trains wandering through England to Wales, English taxpayers pay enough towards Wales and Scotland improvements, are we forgetting the 150's that went to Arriva shames wales 18 months ago???
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: