Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:07:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Saltash Station and Saltash Rail Users Group (merged topics)  (Read 110628 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2011, 19:50:22 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Concerned residents have called for a derelict building on the platform of an east Cornwall railway station to be renovated and restored.

The dilapidated building on Saltash station has been empty and derelict for at least a decade.

Residents said the building "gives a terrible impression" and "is just waiting to fall down".

Chris Speed, director of New Homes South West, said "negotiations are under way to begin renovation work".

The building, which is around 130 years old, used to house the stationmaster's office, a waiting room and a cafe.

Several years ago Saltash Town Council sold the building for ^150,000 to development company, New Homes South West, but renovation plans were halted due to the recession.

Resident Emma Pitcher said: "I think it's a real shame. It's a beautiful building and I remember it when I was a little girl standing here watching steam trains coming across the bridge. It's an absolute disgrace, it's falling to bits."

Resident Steve Jenson, whose view overlooks the building, said: "There are slates off the roof, there are trees growing out of the chimney stacks and the windows are all boarded up."

Saltash town councillor Richard Bickford said the council was giving the future of the building a "high priority".

"We think it's a strategic site for Saltash, we care about it and we are looking into what we would like to see happen and how we can influence that," he added.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2011, 20:14:52 »

Thats the Richard Bickford of this parish...
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2011, 12:11:53 »

It also used to house the Station Booking office, which up to 1961 used to about the 2nd biggest money taking booking office in Cornwall, beaten only by Truro I believe.

I wonder what happened in 1961?  Grin Grin

Shame the plans for a Brunel Heritage Centre never came to anything.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2011, 21:25:32 »

I went last year... It's not exactly the jewel in the crown of stations
richard bickford

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2011, 09:48:47 »

Anyone want to run a cafe in part of the building?
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2011, 15:43:21 »

good luck with that one lol  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2014, 09:22:09 »

From the Cornish Guardian:

Call for action over rundown station

RUNDOWN: The dilapidated state of Saltash Station is the first impression of Cornwall for holidaymakers arriving by train. Picture by Scott Harrison

Campaigners are calling for immediate action to tidy up Saltash's derelict train station, claiming their bids for repairs have been ignored for years.

The station has been the cause of several complaints in recent years, with residents claiming that its rundown appearance could impact on tourists visiting Cornwall.

Paul Holden, chairman of The Cornish Buildings Group, has seen several attempts to get repairs started knocked back. "Many of the region's historic buildings are under threat from neglect and a lack of maintenance." he said. "The very first thing a train visitor sees when they enter Cornwall over Brunel's landmark bridge is a deserted and unkept building, overgrown with weeds and vandalised. Despite attempts by the Cornish Buildings Group to get an urgent repairs notice issued for Saltash station, nothing has been done for years. What will tourists think when they see iconic buildings in various states of disrepair boarded up and neglected?"

The station has changed hands twice in the last ten years and is currently owned by Darren Bennetts.

Cornwall councillor Hilary Frank, for Saltash South, has backed calls for improvements to the station and hinted that work behind the scenes may have already started. "It would be lovely to have something done to the station; it's definitely in need of some work," she said. "We're trying to get something done but it's hard when an individual owns it, it's no longer a council decision."

She added: "I think the owner has got some plans, he seems to be working with an architect to get something done but it comes down to him really. Depending on what happens to it, I think we would all like to ensure that some of the heritage aspects remain or are at least included in the design ^ it's important to the area."

The train station in Saltash is just one of many buildings that The Cornish Buildings Group is trying to protect, with calls for work to start on St Columb Rectory, one of the most important listed buildings in the county, which has been "left to rot for five years".

Mr Bennetts was not available for comment when contacted.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

exeterkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2014, 18:05:32 »

My Mum had a  issue with the platform height on the Plymouth Side at Saltash. It Was a Class 150 Unit  I believe, She OK now but worried about getting off the train at Saltash. She is over 70. When I last got off the train at Saltash it was interesting.
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2014, 14:00:39 »

My Mum had a  issue with the platform height on the Plymouth Side at Saltash. It Was a Class 150 Unit  I believe, She OK now but worried about getting off the train at Saltash. She is over 70. When I last got off the train at Saltash it was interesting.

You're right Exeterkiwi, for Plymouth-bound services there is quite a gap and step up required between the platform and the carriage, I don't remember seeing any other station that requires such careful exertion to board a train!

As for the station, it's been an eyesore for so long but now that the bridge is nearing completion of it's overhaul (let's not talk about the approach spans for now....) it would be a fitting time to get the station cleaned up to the same standard. There's a few uses that the building could be put to, I know the station attracts tourists for the views it provides of Brunel's bridge so you've got somewhat of a guaranteed footfall right there for starters....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2014, 18:45:21 »

You're right Exeterkiwi, for Plymouth-bound services there is quite a gap and step up required between the platform and the carriage, I don't remember seeing any other station that requires such careful exertion to board a train!

Try a Class 150 on Platform 3 at Bristol Temple Meads. Scares me!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2014, 19:03:28 »

I've had some scary moments getting the anklebiters on and off at Montpelier - a bosun's chair would help. Not so bad now, but when they were 5..!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2014, 22:23:33 »

Try a Class 150 on Platform 3 at Bristol Temple Meads. Scares me!

Platform 7 is worse when alighting.   I had to jump from the 150 to the Platform !!!
alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2015, 10:14:17 »

Concerning news today that the current owner of Saltash station is rumoured to be planning an application to build 4 x 4 storey dwellings on the site, and this will obviously mean demolition of the old railway station buildings.

The following petition has been set up for people to register their ojections:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-saltash-station-building-2

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2015, 21:05:15 »

Many thanks for posting that update, alexross42.

The petition already has 34 signatures - but many more are needed!

Please do click on the link above and offer your support, as appropriate.

alexross42

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2015, 12:27:56 »

I'm sure there was a thread already concerning Saltash station but it evades me - please merge the topics if you can find it!

Finally, something is being done about the terrible state of the station, as reported here:
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plans-transform-decrepit-Saltash-station-near/story-27732131-detail/story.html

Reading through the story and it's associated images, it seems the poor architect was subject to some unusual practices in order to deliver a proposal they were happy with.........or is that a proposed use for the new development?!  Cheesy
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
  Print  

Jump to: