Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:32 Reading to Basingstoke
12:22 Basingstoke to Reading
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 10:58:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[75] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[73] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[72] Is any one attending the TWSW(friday)?
[68] The One-Way Wizzo
[53] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning where GWR's priorities lie ...  (Read 16021 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 13:30:49 »

A bit like TG i've long given up on believing in manana manana but I did have a vague hope that the service would stop getting worse which is what seems to be currently happening. Short formed train going in today from Twyford to Paddington and this evening two of the very few fast services home to Twyford cancelled.

Are we seeing the consequences of earlier forum discussions about GWR (Great Western Railway) having to relinquish rolling stock before delayed cascaded stock replaces them?

Yes we are seeing the consequences of stock being given up before the replacements are available for use in sufficient numbers.
I foretold this some years ago, via my now famous crystal ball. My forecasts were widely criticised as being unduly pessimistic, and answered with a variety of facts and figures that "proved" that all would be well.
I based my forecast not on any detailed analysis of the rolling stock situation, but simply on prior experience.

I have been the victim of at least two major rolling stock replacement programmes that went wrong.

Firstly, Waterloo to Exeter services were downgraded from full length loco hauled trains to 3 car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit). As soon as a few new DMUs had arrived, the old stock was rapidly withdrawn. 3 car instead of 8 on rush hours trains, two and a half car on the late evening service, many services turned round at Basingstoke and so on.
Although I don't think much of the DMUs, they would have done the job if available in sufficient numbers BEFORE the withdrawal of the old trains.

In southeast London the old slam door DC (Direct Current) EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit) were replaced by shiny new networkers, again as soon as SOME of the new trains were introduced, the old ones were scrapped.
As a result rush hour trains were regularly half length, the BTP (British Transport Police) had to attend to rioting commuters, and off peak services were sometimes 2 car.
I got a seat on the old 8 car trains, but had to stand on the new shorter ones.

The new half length cross country trains were also not a complete success, did not a princess turn into a pumpkin, or something.

We were told that "this time it would be different" but to me it all looks very familiar.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2017, 21:05:44 »

In other threads recently, GWR (Great Western Railway) have been criticised for not catering to major one-off events (Boardmasters in Cornwall) and regular extreme peaks (rugby in Exeter). Now they're being criticised for catering to a one-off event in Bath. Okay, I'm sure it's different people doing the criticising, but it does show that, in the absence of unlimited capacity, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't in these circumstances.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2017, 21:44:03 »

In other threads recently, GWR (Great Western Railway) have been criticised for not catering to major one-off events (Boardmasters in Cornwall) and regular extreme peaks (rugby in Exeter). Now they're being criticised for catering to a one-off event in Bath. Okay, I'm sure it's different people doing the criticising, but it does show that, in the absence of unlimited capacity, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't in these circumstances.

I don't think they catered for the Bath Market specifically, it was just a coincidence that the event was taking place at the same time as an engineering block was in place between Swindon and Didcot and the  Bristol - Swindon Shuttles provided a Swindon - Chippenham - Bath - Bristol service in lieu.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2017, 22:28:50 »

I don't think they catered for the Bath Market specifically ...

Posters at Westbury, Trowbridge and Melksham (see attachment for photo) listed additional trains running from Westbury to Bath and specified they were for the Christmas market.   25% of the TransWilts (Westbury to Swindon) was cancelled due to lack of train crew, and the (only) poster at Melksham Station which showed train times there was covered with the advert for the extra services.  On my pointing out that there's a franchise commitment to display departure times at each station, the poster was moved  Wink .

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 16:51:19 »

I don't think they catered for the Bath Market specifically ...

Posters at Westbury, Trowbridge and Melksham (see attachment for photo) listed additional trains running from Westbury to Bath and specified they were for the Christmas market.   25% of the TransWilts (Westbury to Swindon) was cancelled due to lack of train crew, and the (only) poster at Melksham Station which showed train times there was covered with the advert for the extra services.  On my pointing out that there's a franchise commitment to display departure times at each station, the poster was moved  Wink .
Hmmmm doesn’t look like the ‘24 additional trains’ the Bath Chronicle reported would be running does it.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2017, 00:29:49 »

Hmm.  Roll Eyes

To be fair, the Bath Chronicle apparently based their article on a press release issued by Great Western Railway, dated 22 November 2017:

Press release
Wednesday 22 November

Additional trains for Bath Christmas Market

Great Western Railway is to run 24 additional trains to and from Bath Spa this coming weekend, which will provide almost 10,000 extra seats to support travel to the Christmas market.

Additional services are to be provided between Bath and Swindon and Westbury; and between Bath and Bristol, but passengers are being warned that services will be in demand during peak arrival and departure times, and engineering work will affect journeys from further afield.

A queuing system will be in use at the station to allow passengers to board services safely, and shoppers should allow plenty of time to board services home.

Bath Spa Station Manager Todd Graham said: “Once again we will welcome a significant number of people to our city and the ever-popular Christmas market.

“Our friendly and approachable staff will be on hand to help keep people moving. I would however urge customers to allow time for their journeys, as the station is likely to be very busy, and with engineering works taking place elsewhere on the network for those travelling from further afield to check their journeys in advance.”

A large number of services will also have extended dwell times at key locations and there will be slight alterations to normal timetabled services as a result.

London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads services will be diverted between Reading and Bath Spa, with bus replacement services operating between Reading and Didcot Parkway/Swindon, as Network Rail renew track between Didcot and Swindon in preparation for our new Electrostar trains at Didcot Parkway station.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 07:33:36 »

Someone’s thoughts on the expectation and provision of extra rail services for the Bath Christmas market:
http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/news/bath-news/bath-christmas-market-shoppers-complaining-901971

And no it’s not me!  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 09:19:45 »

Someone’s thoughts on the expectation and provision of extra rail services for the Bath Christmas market:
http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/news/bath-news/bath-christmas-market-shoppers-complaining-901971

It reminds me somewhat of the click-bait I sometimes see on my Facebook feed - "14 most disappointing places to visit ..." and a lot of world iconic sites are illustrated.   There's a common theme that I noticed which is "overcrowded"

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2017, 10:24:13 »

A 'Bah! Humbug' correspondent after my own heart.

I love the line, "Second-rate tat from third-rate sheds."

Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: