13:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 13:04:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[180] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[114] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[49] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[46] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blofeld's Cat  (Read 1665 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2017, 22:45:26 »

As I'm presently looking after a friend's mog on a rather long term basis and having not read many of Ian Flemings books, can any forum members tell me if Blofeld's cat had a name? Please don't tell me it was Tiddles!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:45:52 »

From what I can gather from t'internet, the real world name of the cat featured in the 'You Only Live Twice' and 'Diamonds are Forever' films was Solomon. The cat didn't have a character name in those films.

As for the original novels, ESB didn't have a cat. 

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 09:08:01 »

Tiddles ,who is on my lap as we speak is a five year old Lady Bengal .
Some of you will know that I'm quite a Bondophille and when not involved here indulging in my Feroeqineology I'm often found with my head in one of Mr Flemings books.
As BNM has already said Solomon was indeed the pet name of the cat used in the films,
However in the shooting script and call sheets he did in fact have a casting name of Tiddles. Eg Tiddles ESBs Cat played by Solomon.
With regards to the books Bond himself had Pussy Galore ! But no cats ever appeared.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:50:42 »

Back in previous lives, I had a Blofeld's cat moment that I shall cherish for ever.  I was in a village Chief's hut in northern Zululand negotiating for exploration access into the area with the Inkosi and all of his local Indunas. It was a long meeting - it had been going on for several hours and there was no end in sight. A local translator was relaying each man's concerns and aspirations to me and I dutifully listened and commentated, but the total repetition was becoming mind numbing and there were still dozens of people who wanted to have their say.

That's when I noticed the kitten on the windowsill. Cats hold a mysterious place in Zulu society - half worshipped, half feared. They do a necessary job around the kraal but tend to be avoided as they lurk a bit too close to the souls of the their ancestors. Now I was owned by a cat at home and knew a few words of cat, which is universal across the cat kingdom; and this half-staved kitten responded to my barely audible "pssp, pssp" with a silent meow, and it dropped down from the open window and into room.  This caused a few nervous glances from those who had seen the entry. A few more encouraging noises from myself and the kitten was soon nuzzling up to my down-streatched hand soaking up some attention that I don't think any adult had ever given it.  The conversation was now getting a bit stilted as everyone noticed the new visitor.  Finally, with a light meow, the kitten left into my lap, orbited anticlockwise about three times and then fell asleep purring on my knees. I was Blofeld.

The meeting came to a sudden and disorganised end as everyone decided to leave through a quite narrow door.  The last man to leave, less than a minute after the kitten started purring, was the translator who told me that all my permissions and approvals had been granted.  I gave the kitten several more minutes of my love and attention before thanking it graciously and slowly getting on my way.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:21:07 »

To put this into context: Imagine today I was addressing a meeting of the Parish Council here in the Home Counties and a large bat exited the belfry, orbited the nave several times and then circled down into my lap and promptly fell asleep - Blofeld style.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: