27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 04:47:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent 2017  (Read 25353 times)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2017, 20:50:17 »

Trowbridge - Platform 1

I think you're right. I saw a reflection of a red train with openable windows and wrongly assumed it had to be a SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service. Enlarging the photo I then tried to decipher the station name on the onward travel poster. I thought I could make out Weybridge but photos of the station that I found didn't back up my theory  Sad
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2017, 22:23:45 »

That'd be a GWR (Great Western Railway) Class 153 in the reflection.

I'm thinking the citizensrail.org branded 153325.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2017, 22:36:22 »

Trowbridge - Platform 1
Trowbridge - Platform 1

I think you're right. I saw a reflection of a red train with openable windows and wrongly assumed it had to be a SWR» (South Western Railway - about) service. Enlarging the photo I then tried to decipher the station name on the onward travel poster. I thought I could make out Weybridge but photos of the station that I found didn't back up my theory  Sad

That'd be a GWR (Great Western Railway) Class 153 in the reflection.

I'm thinking the citizensrail.org branded 153325.

Correct down to the unit reflected in the window.   The 08:36 Swindon to Westbury at Trowbridge, loading 33/14

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2017, 19:24:40 »

And for today:

with many thanks to SandTEngineer for supplying from his collection

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2017, 20:18:02 »

Sorry CfN.

It's my home town and your favourite place.  Tongue Wink Grin

Taunton.

Looking west from the country end of the station. I remember that impressive signal gantry from my childhood. Beyond it is the '40 Steps' footbridge which afforded excellent views of trains, and a thrill as they passed underneath. '40 Steps', with its railing sides, has been replaced with a modern accessible footbridge with solid metal sides. Meaning one can no longer 'spot' from it. Sad, but understandable, that it was replaced. Incidentally, neither side had 40 steps up to the deck. One side was around 32 steps, the other a few less due to differences in ground height. There was also a sloping change in deck height halfway across.

To the right of the picture is the Avimo factory. They made optics* for the military. Moved across town in the late 1980s and became part of the Thales Group. That latter factory closed in 2007. The site in the picture is now a housing estate.

Here's a 1939 aerial image of the Avimo site and country end of the station.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW061344 (Image reproduced complying with usage rights)

*No, not the 1/6gill/25ml kind.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 16:11:16 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2017, 21:28:54 »

And for today:

with many thanks to SandTEngineer for supplying from his collection

Hey - I'd say that's cheating, posting another chap's pictures!   Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 21:44:46 »

Well CfN.  We were hoping you would guess it first (knowing how much you adore TAUNTON) but BNM beat you to it...... Wink

Out of interest the photograph was taken in late 1969 and as BNM has stated, looking West from the upside of the station.  The line to the right was the Minehead (and earlier Barnstaple) arrivals bay.  Where did all that infrastructure go...... Cry
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 21:51:35 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 22:13:46 »

Thanks, SandTEngineer.  Wink

Yes, I am (or, rather, was) somewhat familiar with that particular bay platform, in my work with the Severnside Community Rail Partnership (supervising Community Payback workers in clearing vegetation, collecting litter, etc.).

However, that particular scene is somewhat different today - as you say, all of that infrastructure is long gone ...  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2017, 07:10:07 »

The scenes at Taunton are a sad reminder of how things were - and yet modern efficiencies allow far more trains to be run and more passengers carried on much less infrastructure.  If all that "stuff" had to be provided and maintained to what are the current modern standards, and staffed signal box by signal box at current wage levels, I really doubt that too much would be 'economic' as we know it.   Of course, if a similar amount of stuff on the roads hadn't been modernised (e.g. policemen on point duty, manual filling stations only) then there would be a similar high cost on road travel.

Yet I do look at scenes such as Taunton and wonder at whether we've gone too far in cutting back; that's a very well worn record indeed (and one that Chris Grayling has been playing yet again too).  Taunton is poignant as there's a perfectly good railway all the way to Minehead which (one can't help feeling, even when explained otherwise by both sides) could somehow be dual used.    And while we're on Minehead ... Swanage, Fleetwood, Fowey, Rawtenstall, Henbury and Kingswear?

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2017, 16:41:12 »

Here's a 1939 aerial image of the Avimo site and country end of the station.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW061344 (Image reproduced complying with usage rights)

A few years ago, I flew home from Dunkeswell to Filton. I had intended going easterly via Bath, but the weather to the east looked a bit murky, so we headed north-west instead. The view of Taunton station and surrounds from above is still impressive, especially with the turning triangle. Sadly, my rear seat passenger was so enthralled by the experience that he forgot that I had given him my camera until we landed, so I can't share.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2017, 18:22:21 »

The turning triangle at Norton Fitzwarren isn't part of the network. It's privately owned by the West Somerset Railway.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2017, 18:32:44 »

OK - so where is this? ...

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2017, 18:46:59 »

Harlech looking south. Castle is off to the left from where I looked down on the station.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 18:55:12 by Oxonhutch » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2017, 23:43:20 »

The turning triangle at Norton Fitzwarren isn't part of the network. It's privately owned by the West Somerset Railway.

I know, but it's a fabulous landmark. The three points should be labelled "Exeter", "Swansea", and "Bristol", to aid pilots who find themselves "Temporarily Uncertain of Position"*.

(*Lost)

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2017, 01:41:22 »

Harlech looking south. Castle is off to the left from where I looked down on the station.

Yes indeed - Harlech.  Love that line.   Picture is a couple of years old - shed a tear when I went through some of the pics we took on that holiday with Dad.   Harlech itself felt 'poor' and much of Cardigan Bay seemed to have dropped as  it's lost the traditional holidaymakers taking their week away and being replaced by - well - insufficient to give it a bright / sparkling / positive air.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: