No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 Truro to Falmouth Docks
10:45 Falmouth Docks to Truro
Short Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
08:50 Penzance to Plymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 10:44:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[277] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[93] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[60] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[34] Where have I been?
[33] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[28] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Advent 2017  (Read 25365 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2017, 16:57:49 »

...Taunton.... Roll Eyes
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2017, 17:38:49 »

I thought that was bought by someone in America!  Cheesy

So Arizona then ...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2017, 17:39:57 »

Were you testing your new pen-camera at the Babbacombe Model Village?

...Taunton.... Roll Eyes

Not Babbacome.

I don't think I took that one in Taunton ... need to go back and check

Edit to add

No - not Taunton

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2017, 17:41:24 »

I thought that was bought by someone in America!  Cheesy

So Arizona then ...

So did he (the chap in Arizona).  However, his story at having bought that particular piece has now been proven to be a fake news story.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2017, 20:48:39 »

We all know where it is but someone has to say it.  Tower Bridge, London - Presumably taken from a river boat

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2017, 22:20:54 »

We all know where it is but someone has to say it.  Tower Bridge, London - Presumably taken from a river boat

Thanks, Roger - yes indeed, and correct in suggesting t was taken from a boat - the river bus which Lisa and I caught a fortnight ago out to North Greenwich.  Came back on the 188 bus - much slower but much cheaper.   Could also have used the Jubillee line.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2017, 00:45:56 »

...Taunton.... Roll Eyes

Hah dee hah hah!  Roll Eyes

The River Tone flowing through Taunton doesn't require a bridge anything like that big - even I know that.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2017, 05:32:48 »

brooklea
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2017, 08:46:13 »

Is it Dovey Junction?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2017, 09:05:04 »

Is it Dovey Junction?

It is indeed ... a remote spot in the middle of the valley of the river Dyfi - as I recall with the picture taken from the curved platform on the line toward Pwhelli across to the very long platform on the Aberystwyth line.   The layout here is similar to Penryn - a single platform with two ends, one for trains headed each way and a loop that come in in the middle.  Access (apart from rail industry vehicles) is by footpath only, and the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) figures show that interchanges are more than twice the number of entranced and exits (for every 5 people who get off a train, 4 are rejoining a train to carry on their journey).

Ten journeys were attributed to season tickets in the latest figures, which means that someone bought a week's season ticket from or to Dovey Junction!

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2017, 09:20:56 »

Is it Dovey Junction?

It is indeed ... a remote spot in the middle of the valley of the river Dyfi - as I recall with the picture taken from the curved platform on the line toward Pwhelli across to the very long platform on the Aberystwyth line.   The layout here is similar to Penryn - a single platform with two ends, one for trains headed each way and a loop that come in in the middle.  Access (apart from rail industry vehicles) is by footpath only, and the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) figures show that interchanges are more than twice the number of entranced and exits (for every 5 people who get off a train, 4 are rejoining a train to carry on their journey).

Ten journeys were attributed to season tickets in the latest figures, which means that someone bought a week's season ticket from or to Dovey Junction!

Perhaps someone who was entranced by the scenery?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2017, 11:32:43 »

Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2017, 16:35:34 »

The now saved Breich station ?.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2017, 17:38:49 »

The now saved Breich station ?.

Correct.  The walk there from Fauldhouse was far longer than I had expected from comment read ahead of time -you can't believe everything you read online. Considering that I was walking in considerable pain and with the aid of a stick in late August, it was a good job I didn't visit until the autumn!

I won't go so far as to say "no station should ever close" but having read about this proposal and also taken a look, I came to a personal view that there were too many remaining question marks and possibilities for the finality of a closure.  In "GWR (Great Western Railway) land" I'm far better informed - through this forum, other sources, and personal visits - about just about every station served, and I'm relieved that no precent has been set at Breich.  Outside GWR land, there are a handful I really wonder about, but that's not a direction to head today.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2017, 13:12:11 »

And for 17th ...

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: